4-D Adventure (Working Title)

Started by gardevoir2040, August 25, 2011, 04:57:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gardevoir2040

Well I've made my first level. It's a 5x5 map with a... I guess let's say a potentially potentially aggravating gimmick for trinket hunters.
Not sure how to gauge the overall difficulty, but it definitely seems tough at the end (at least to me anyway).

Screenshots:

It was tough thinking of a good name for this level. I feel like it could use something better.

EDIT: Okay, I fixed the obvious mistake in that first screenshot. Must have happened when I was polishing it. Also fixed the screenshots.

EDIT 2: One more try! This time I changed "The Enemy Action," moved the first warp token in "The Warp Action," and removed a couple of spikes in "I Hope You Remember This" and "That Looks Painful."

Loliver

In the first screen shot, there are some spikes on top of each other which make it seem impossible.

Although i haven't given the level a go yet, so i don't know whats going on

Edit: Yep, it's broke

gardevoir2040

Quote from: Loliver on August 25, 2011, 06:25:01 AM
In the first screen shot, there are some spikes on top of each other which make it seem impossible.

Although i haven't given the level a go yet, so i don't know whats going on

Edit: Yep, it's broke

Ah, must have missed those during a last minute edit. I'll fix that.

The Brass

"The enemy action" is too hard, frustrating and unplayable. It's essentially a coin flip, four times.

Terry

Haha, I like the opening idea a lot.

Unfortunately, I didn't really get much further beyond that. It's not that it's especially hard, it just seems to have one or two rock hard difficulty spikes - right after the first trinket at the start, the drop down in the room after took me 15 tries more than it really should have, which meant reactivating the terminal over and over again. The level thankfully gets easier after that, but like The Brass I stopped at "the enemy action" after dying on the third column a few too many times. Sorry. :victoria:

I'll come back to this level later on, though. I really want to see what you do with the idea that the opening couple of rooms promise!

(I'm not pointing at your level in particular when I say this, but it frustrates me a little when I play levels with good ideas go in the direction of being super hard (Palace of Peril being the prime example of this, I think). I feel like that approach just gets in the way of what's actually interesting about them.)

gardevoir2040

Quote from: Terry on August 25, 2011, 03:19:12 PM
right after the first trinket at the start, the drop down in the room after took me 15 tries more than it really should have, which meant reactivating the terminal over and over again.

That reminds me, I actually had a checkpoint there, but it disappeared during the last edit I made. That'll be fixed.

Quote from: Terry on August 25, 2011, 03:19:12 PM
like The Brass I stopped at "the enemy action" after dying on the third column a few too many times. Sorry. :victoria:

I had trouble thinking of a design for that room. A timing challenge like that probably wasn't the best idea. It'll likely be redone soon.

PJBottomz

There must be some kind of hidden concept or something in "Now What?"

I don't totally see how getting the trinket would be that big of a challenge...

Sendy

Quite a fun level overall. Presentation was good. Enjoyable gauntlets, with a couple of difficulty spikes (heh, spikes).

Last room was a bit meh for me, it looked a bit ugly, and it reminded me of what you might get if you took an entire difficult finale level and tried to squeeze it into one screen. I got thru it but I can imagine a lot of players simply saying V it.   ;)

I also didn't like the saving and loading gimmick... It was clever, but I want to be dodging spikes, not fiddling with the menu. I suppose at least it's something new and memorable!

I liked the wrapping rooms as well, although "they always come back" caught me by suprise as I wasn't expecting it to wrap  :D

PJBottomz

*sighs*

Alright, I think that you thought it would be a good idea for the "save-to-exit" thing, but that's not a good idea. I certainly didn't want to play after I had to exit and restart.

Despite that, it's an okay level, but I quit in "The Enemy Action" or whatever it was because avoiding the enemies was way too hard.

I can't particularly give this a good rating. Sorry. :( And I hate giving bad ratings.