VVVVVV Level Editor Feature Suggestions

Started by Whirligig, August 27, 2011, 01:39:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whirligig

This is NOT the *other* feature/bug thread. This is about entirely new gameplay ideas.

First of all, there's no guarantee that any of this will end up in the game. My idea would be to create a more extensive scripting system and have custom scriptable and collidable objects, but maybe that's a bit too much to ask for.

Anyway, ideas:

-Sticky floor - floor that you can't move on, but can flip off of. (Idea by Sendy)
-Floor (not sure what it would be called) that you can move on but can't flip off of.
-Floor that you can't move on or flip off of. :vermillion: Just kidding.
-A separate kind of wall that can be destroyed in a script (so you don't have to use gravity lines or warp tokens).
-Horizontally scrolling towers.
-Water (I'm not sure how fancy this could be without breaking the C64 style).
-Controlling which rooms exit where.
-Mobius strip, Klein bottle, and projective plane rooms. (Warp options)
-Two-way portals.

I'm not going to update this post, so just put any other ideas in replies.

Sendy

Just for the hell of it, as I'm full of this stuff!

* Special air zones (imagine a square block of gas) in which you can flip in midair as many times as you'd like.
* Power switch... Turns off gravity lines, freezes moving platforms and enemies, turns off warp tokens, makes dissolving platforms solid. Move off of it and back on again to toggle it. Perhaps it could turn off the animated background and turn the level grey or something as well, just to ram the point home that we're cutting the power in the level ;)
* Ability to choose any background for any tileset, maybe add some extra backgrounds, or at least the 'random diagonal strata' from the title screen as an option.
* Ping pong enemies. Move diagonally, and bounce off of walls predictably (and always at 45 degree angles). Also bounce off of bounding box.
* Irregular shaped bounding boxes or per-enemy boxes? Not exactly needed, but it might help in some cases.
* Sister script commands to "destroy" that recreate entities.
* Timer script command
* Scripts which can run in the background
* Script command to change room colour
* Script loops
- With the above five, we'd be able to make rooms with regularly pulsating colours, or rooms where the gravity lines appear and disappear at regular intervals (i.e. cucking fool!)
* Ability to add custom tilesets and tiles and arbitrarily mix them up with the originals, or use any tile from any tileset in any room in any combination
* Change enemy/spikes/platforms colour (for everyone's inner girl ;) )

Um... That's my lot...

About Whirligig's ideas...

- Isn't mobius strip already possible?
- Klein bottle? Awesome idea but how would that even work in a 2D platformer?
- Same with the projective plane... I'm imagining a screen where the blocks and objects get smaller the higher up they are, and if you fall to the top of the screen, you're crushed to an infinitely small point and die  :D

Whirligig

I mean like the squares on this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundamental_polygon

Thus, a Mobius strip room would flip you around if you went across one pair of sides.

-ID numbers (similar to the warp tokens' numbers) that are assigned to every object you create in the level (not including tiles such as walls and spikes). These could then be used in destroy().

Officer Captain

Quote from: Whirligig on August 27, 2011, 01:39:51 AM
-Floor that you can't move on or flip off of. :vermillion: Just kidding.

Make it so that the floor is activated by a switch, and when you land on it while it's on, you are switched to another crew member to disable it and rescue them.

Maybe just the ability to switch between players at any time, with a different objective. It surely sounds interesting.

Damn It AL to Hell

> Rocket Launchers! (not heat seeking)
> All tile sets on on one screen
> Moving platforms with spikes on the bottom :vermillion:
> Lasers!
> A boss

PJBottomz

All of that sounds awesome, Vex (especially the boss! Heheh heh... :vermillion:)

Officer Captain

Damn It AL to Hell

A no flip zone! you can walk, but can't flip, but this might be buggy because there is very little you can do with a no flip zone
:verdigris:

more props should be implemented into the level editor

MoogiGMD

My List Is:
1.No Death Mode Enabler
2.Ability To Place Singleplayer Objects (For Example The Speaker Thing In Space Station 1)
3.Ability To Delete Maps From In-game(But who would do this)
4.Custom Made Objects (:D)
5.Alot Of Glitch Fixes Including Game Crashing With Script (2.1)

blue626

Did you look at the dates? The last reply is about 1 year old! There are other feature suggestion topics that are more recent.

Anyway, did you read the 1st post well? Look:

This is NOT the *other* feature/bug thread. This is about entirely new gameplay ideas.

He/she said this to distinguish it form other suggestion threads and only suggestion 1 (of your list) is a new gameplay idea.

cmpgk1024

I think the the elephant should be a boss!

ToasterApocalypse

Pyrite

-Floor (not sure what it would be called) that you can move on but can't flip off of.
Whirligig left a loooong time ago, but this is actually implemented for those who didn't know.

Just throwing that out there.

blue626

Quote from: manofperson on September 14, 2012, 01:15:25 AM
Whirligig left a loooong time ago, but this is actually implemented for those who didn't know.

Just throwing that out there.

He/she didn't really leave. Whirligig's last post was 2 days ago or something. I believe he/she posted much more frequently between Aug. and Dec. 2011, though.
EDIT: Anyway, that might be a good suggestion, but there's a low chance that it will appear in VVVVVV.

Dav999

Quote from: blue626 on September 14, 2012, 12:45:39 PM
He/she

If you look to someone's profile first, 90% of the time (?) they specify a gender. It also shows you when someone was last online. Someone even created a topic about Whirligig being back! Why didn't manofperson notice that?