Let's discuss the art of level design over a nice cup of tea and some biscuits

Started by Sendy, August 30, 2011, 11:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PJBottomz

Quote from: FlamingBanana on September 03, 2011, 11:28:16 PM
I didn't notice this had been moved to the main VVVVVV forum, but apparently it has.

Anyhow, Sendy pretty much says it all...Except for one thing.  :vitellary:

ALWAYS HAVE A PLAN IN MIND.
Always have a general idea of what you want your level to be like before you make the level.

THANK YOU! I've been trying to get a lot of people to realize this for quite some time.

xTwoTails

Gotta test the trinkets before releasing them to the world for someone to try~!
Although my level has no script (therefore it has no life), learning to script is an achievement... makes things a lot easier.
Planning, Foreseeing and Scripting well can lead to good level designs.
Although, you can make a simple level without scripts that will blow someone's mind.
In the end, it's all about your creativity, and love you put in your level and your friends to test their patience and tell you to make it easier!

SirBryghtside

I've just finished up the first segment of my new level, and it's pretty cool - but it was a real challenge to do.

I'm making a Meta level of VVVVVV - basically, Viridian gets catapulted off to the User Level dimension. And the first segment, which as I said, I've just completed, is all about a badly designed area. So my rules were to never use the 'Z' or 'X' buttons, and make the level look generally messy, but at the same time make it a decent yet simple challenge - it's not quite so bad it's good, because I'm just masquerading it as a bad level for the sake of the storyline.

PJBottomz

xTwoTails

SirBryghtside

Sorry, I got a little off topic there >.<

I'll delete the attachment, but it was mostly just to show how I was trying to make a level which looked bad, but was actually (reasonably) well designed. I was trying to contribute to the discussion, just I kind of failed :P

PJBottomz

*stabs Twotails with Spork of Wondr*

It's fine. Every does that. (refering to the level post)

FlamingBanana

PJBottomz

I know! You can eat soup and salad without changing utensils, and you can stab people! :viridian:

FlamingBanana

I really dont know why no one uses metal sporks.

Sporks of wondr, all the better.

PJBottomz

Cuz then the world's complete balance would be thrown off by the awesomeness of it and we'd all randomly start deteriating.

HOORAY FOR RANDOM DETERIATION!