IWBP (a bad fangame) (with VVVVVV stage!)

Started by Adamantcheese, September 24, 2011, 09:01:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adamantcheese

So I asked Terry a while back if I could use his game for sprites and gimmicks. He said sure and I doubt he had a clue what abomination was going to come out of it.

So here we go.

I wanna be PHAT! is a game filled with tons of video game references, specifically one of them being VVVVVV.
I'd assume it to be both a I wanna be the Guy! and VVVVVV fangame.
Here's a download: Clicky here to download! (Mediafire)

It's still a work in progress, being my first game and all.
If you want to see the bugfixes and changelogs, I suggest that you go to this forum with the other post for this game.
Almost all the graphics in the first stage of the game look absolutely horrid, I'm working on those.

If you want to skip to the VVVVVV section straight away and not deal with the bad first stage, select a new save slot and start the game. Then press Ctrl + L and type in "VVVtele" without the quotations. Then enjoy it and curse my existence. Or not. Your choice.

Feedback would be appreciated!

Hehe, first ever post on the forums.  :viridian:

PJBottomz

I hate RAR files. Does no one think to use zip files?

Anyway, I'll play this and report anything bad about it (and good, too)

PJBottomz

YOu must be fucking kidding me. I can't even get past the first goddamn screen! It'd be REALLY easy to impliment a flip system, you know.

Dispensers Heal

ThePaSch

Quote from: PJBottomz on September 24, 2011, 11:01:58 PM
YOu must be fucking kidding me. I can't even get past the first goddamn screen! It'd be REALLY easy to impliment a flip system, you know.

Y'know, that's not what I call constructive criticism.
By the way, RAR is vastly superior to ZIP. If you want a free and easy to use program that opens both, try 7zip.

Also, read his post. Start the game, hit CTRL + L, type in VVVtele, then use the spacebar to flip.
Did you even play the game?

@Adamantcheese
I tried the VVVVVV stage. It's pretty hard, but I guess that figures for a IWBTG fangame. :D
Can you make the music continue when you die in the VVVVVV stage? I really love the laboratory music, but only hearing the first few seconds of it every time is a bit annoying.

PJBottomz

... Wat? :-[ Awkward...

EDIT: Okay, this needs just a little work. I like the design, and the music (Rick Rolled!), but the flipping system is a little buggy. And, jumping into the gravity line makes you move faster than expected, and you die.

And speaking of the die system: why restart back at the menu? Like 4-D Adventure, saving to continue the level takes too much time. VVVVVV uses checkpoints for instant spawn-and-play. Trust me, I die a lot and end up having to COMPLETELY repeat what I just did.

ThePaSch

Quote from: PJBottomz on September 24, 2011, 11:43:56 PM
And speaking of the die system: why restart back at the menu? Like 4-D Adventure, saving to continue the level takes too much time. VVVVVV uses checkpoints for instant spawn-and-play. Trust me, I die a lot and end up having to COMPLETELY repeat what I just did.

You can shoot the save point to activate it. Then, whenever you die and hit R, you'll restart at it right away.

PJBottomz

Adamantcheese

Ah, I see that someone didn't read the help texts.
Maybe I didn't say that you need to shoot saves, probably going to fix that and have you only touch them in that stage.

The gravity lines don't speed you up whatsoever, that might be gravity's fault (I tried my best!). At least you're not playing the initial 2.5 release, this stage would have been unplayable.

Thanks for the constructive criticism, keep it coming!

PJBottomz

I *finally* managed to play it. I kept dying from the falling spikes in the first room, and rage-quitted. :violet:

Adamantcheese

Quote from: ThePaSch on September 24, 2011, 11:42:30 PM
Quote from: PJBottomz on September 24, 2011, 11:01:58 PM

Y'know, that's not what I call constructive criticism.
By the way, RAR is vastly superior to ZIP. If you want a free and easy to use program that opens both, try 7zip.

Also, read his post. Start the game, hit CTRL + L, type in VVVtele, then use the spacebar to flip.
Did you even play the game?

@Adamantcheese
I tried the VVVVVV stage. It's pretty hard, but I guess that figures for a IWBTG fangame. :D
Can you make the music continue when you die in the VVVVVV stage? I really love the laboratory music, but only hearing the first few seconds of it every time is a bit annoying.

I'm going to reboot the saving system in the entire game. You'll automatically restart when you die and the music won't stop playing. Pressing R would reset the entire room and get rid of all the blood particles and start you back at your last save. Also going to change the save graphic in the VVVVVV area to the checkpoint one from the actual game. But to make a specific one flash might be difficult, I'd have to make several different saves with a separate variable each to make a specific one blink. I guess it's all worth it in the end. Thanks for the criticism.  :viridian:

Damn It AL to Hell

RAAUGH! Can't even get started on this thing! :violet:

Damn It AL to Hell

Adamantcheese

And how was it? Criticism = a better game for everyone =P