Beta patch 2.1 Final

Started by simoroth, October 04, 2011, 04:16:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FIQ

!: major/annoying/whatever
*: not possible in normal gameplay

GAME MENU:
! Force cyan during the quicksave/telesave chooser can be worked around with ESC and pressing No.
! The game engine is still running in the menu after a quit (and probably before as well?), introducing various glitches:
  - Touching hazards cancel the "back to menu" execution, while still having pretty much everything reset - the screen is blacked, but you can walk freely. Touching a teleporter will destroy current tsave
  - Touching a teleporter also reset the "back to menu" execution, and destroys the tsave
  - Quitting in finalmode (the polar dimension) will sometimes not work well

NORMAL GAMEPLAY:
* Replaying (the normal) Gravitron more than 1 times in a row without exiting to menu result in odd behaviour:
  - Playing Super Gravitron right after a Gravitron will break bullet spawning
  - Playing Gravitron 2 times in a row will make the second have a bullet from the right at 1:00:00
! Teleporting back to ship while mid-air introduces glitches here and there:
  - If Viridian switches screen, the script is halted (Linux only?)
  - If Viridian touches a teleporter, the script is halted (also true for 1.2, but that's irrelevant)
  - Touching hazards:
    - cancels the script and respawn (Linux)
    - respawn and continue unless the checkpoint was a teleporter, halt then (Windows)

FLIP MODE:
! Teleporter text ("- Press ENTER to teleport" and "Game Saved") isn't flipped.
! At the leftmost corner of the game, sprite color isn't applied properly, making it show the same color as in the actual .PNG

CUSTOM LEVELS GAMEPLAY:
! Two gravity lines in the same Y coordinate doesn't work well using wrap-around between the two in the middle of the border
! Side warp lines doesn't work well in the corners (example: http://www.2shared.com/file/4LTJN6VP/ending.html )
! Quitting in custom levels when Viridian is visible on the top and the bottom (possible by using warp lines or general room warp (vertical) will not quit the game properly, and you have to do it twice.
! Placing a checkpoint in a bottom part of a level with vertical warps will make the checkpoint appear at the top as well
! Finishing a level without all the trinkets will revert the completion to one star, even if it had 2 before
! Warp lines sometimes stop working, enabling you to go to unintended places. This way, you can cut pretty much the whole Line Wrap level.

LEVEL EDITOR/SCRIPTS:
! Some tracks are missing in play() - these are 0 (level complete), 5 ("intermission"?), 7 (game complete), 9 (positive force reversed), and most likely in the DS version (I can't try for obvious reasons) - 15 (predestined fate remix)
! Opening the level editor menu with backgrounds disabled makes the level still appear as the background
! If you begin using any color of green/purple/yellow/red/blue in a script dialog, you can never access gray color again in the same script.
* Blackout/blackon related functionality glitches in custom levels (only accessible by accessing the internal engine though)
* I found another way that works in 2.1 to access the internal scripting engine:

say(-1)
alarmon

The custom parser will accept the line below the say because it belives that it will be part of the say command while it will not, thus, the internal engine will parse "alarmon" and turn on the ship alarm sound.

This can be reworked into something that accept unlimited numbers of internal commands this way:

say(-1)
text(something,0,0,4)
say(N)

where N = number of lines to parse internally (The same bug works in 2.0 but only for a maximun of 5 lines due to the limit of say()/reply() only taking 5 lines in 2.0)

(I would be happy if you made a more powerful scripting engine if you decide to turn off this "feature". :3)

FIQ

I wonder, how is the work on 2.1 going?

Also, you mention some fixes (quicksave glitches in The Tower is one of them) that isn't really included in the download link to 2.1.2.. are they still not released and will be part of the stable release only or a possible 2.1.3 beta?

GLaDOS V.3

wow,  it's four months and three days into 2012, and i found out about this today. :-[

FIQ

Quote from: simoroth on October 04, 2011, 04:16:25 PM
Hi

Here are the latest patched beta executables for Windows, Mac and Linux. Please let us know if you encounter any problems or if it fixes the issues you have had.

Instructions: Replace your executable with the patch binary and place the contents of the levels.zip in "[VVVVVV directory]/data/levels/".

Windows:

http://www.machinestudios.co.uk/VVVVVV/VVVVVV_Windows_Patch_2_1_2.zip
http://www.machinestudios.co.uk/VVVVVV/levels.zip

Linux:
http://www.machinestudios.co.uk/VVVVVV/VVVVVV_Linux_Patch_2_2.zip
http://www.machinestudios.co.uk/VVVVVV/levels.zip

Mac:
[Coming soon!]

New Features:

- Seven new player levels added to the game:
    - "The Tower of Power" by Ruari O'Sullivan
    - "Vertex Vortex" by Matt Thorson
    - "Dimension 333333" by Sendy
    - "Victuals" by Noyb
    - "Seasons" by Michael Brough
    - "Soul Searching" by Matthew Rodriguez
    - "Quantum Tunnel" by Matthew Rodriguez
- New Direct mode in editor allows you to manually set each tile (press F10 to toggle it in a room, Ctrl+Arrows change tile, Middle Click for dropper)
- Added speaker command to change textbox colour and position in player levels
- Player levels now have minimaps
- Player levels which have been previously completed are now marked with a star
- Save and Load map controls added to editor menu
- Editor now asks if you'd like to save before exiting
- Changed Shift behavior in menus (Now a menu toggle like the space menu, not a modifier)
- Roomname disappears in the editor when the mouse cursor is at the bottom of the screen
- Added new scripting command to show/hide the map - "map(on/off)" (on by default)
- "happy" and "sad" commands can now change the mood of any character
- Added "squeak" command, which turns crewmate squeaking on/off, or makes a crewmate squeak
- Say and Reply commands now support much longer scripts
- GPU acceleration enabled.
- Large performance gains for high res screens.
- Steam overlay enabled.
- Game pad support!

Bug Fixes:

- Time trial ranks are now being saved properly
- Fixed one pixel offset in vertical gravity lines
- Entities are now coloured according to tileset while in the editor
- Game now remembers slowdown settings
- Resolution settings are now applied before preloader
- R to restart from the last checkpoint now only works in player levels (as it should)
- Time trial music fades back on reset
- Changing tileset colour and enemy types in editor display info properly
- Quitting during a cutscene will reset cutscene bars
- Typing stuff in the editor no longer mutes music
- Resolution settings are now being saved properly
- Quicksaves now work in scrolling tower levels
- WASD controls work in game
- Flip mode is disabled in the editor
- Alt-tab is more usable
- Mouse hiding is more intuitive.
- Many more fixes.

Have fun!

-Simon :)
I might be blind, but I see no way of controlling the textbox position with the script engine that the editor show? Or does "textbox position" just point at the fact that (for example) a yellow textbox will position itself over a need-to-be-rescued Vitellary?

Arthur

Accessing the internal script can also break levels: use it to execute the "vvvvvvman" script (the one which makes the same thing as in the secret lab cutscene), and Viridian will remain like it makes him become until you quit the game. And he has a VERY strange hitbox.

FIQ

Quote from: Arthur on April 12, 2012, 12:52:46 PM
Accessing the internal script can also break levels: use it to execute the "vvvvvvman" script (the one which makes the same thing as in the secret lab cutscene), and Viridian will remain like it makes him become until you quit the game. And he has a VERY strange hitbox.
I would recommend against accessing it completely if you're not fully aware on what will happen if you use them, or you'll do things like destroying your save file, the unlockable things, or render VVVVVV unplayable until a restart. Preferably not at all if you're going to release a level with it (I'm still wondering to myself if it's worth releasing my level which has a ton of internal scripting, even though I've really tried to keep everything as stable as I could, and still finds scary traps here and there in it). Also, note the "Don't exploit bugs!" section in the tips/hints about posting levels.

vvvvvvman has a hitbox in the topleft that's equal to the normal Viridian's height in terms of everything -- except the bottom of the vvvvvvman, which is also (partially?) solid - i.e. walking on a floor without things in the way will work properly, but that's about it.

You can turn off vvvvvvman without restarting the game either by undovvvvvvman(), or starting a No Death session and die.

I can also list a ton of ways to break levels using internal scripting -- vvvvvvman() isn't really the only way, here's a few of them:
- Using gamestate() and numbers you're not completely confident about what it will do. Most of them will, if they work at all, reset your save data, and some of them also resets time trial data. I've explored these a bit to find out what they're able to do - seems you can tell it to do "most" things - everything from turning on Gravitron, to go back to the main menu.
- Do not try to use blackout/blackon, it will freeze the game for some unknown reason instead of blacking the screen as it does in normal gameplay.
- Never use flipme (or flipgravity(player)) if you don't want to exit. You'll crash the level -- even the level editor.

FIQ

I've got no replies to my questions (for example the one about fixes at the first post that I cannot experience in the game, like the quicksave problems in tower levels), but I hope that they're at least read. It's OK if there's no response, I assume there's a lack of time.

Also, IGF is done now, so is there a plan on finishing 2.1? The current version is just fine for me, but I just wonder. I don't mean to be annoying or something like that.

xTwoTails

I don't think there will be more Patches , as Terry has moved on from the game.

Still, I would love to see another Patch.

Now let me put my two-cents (if it nobody has posted them already)
*Controlling the game with a controller is easy.... until you pull out the Map and you cannot get off from that menu with the controller, you have to reach your keyboard and press ESC.
* When you are near a Terminal, if you press the Action button, Viridian will flip. (It's a bug I believe)

simoroth

I think Terry has pretty much retired the project now. I can understand VVVVVV has dominated so much of his time.

I might drop him and email and do a few critical bug fixes for you guys this weekend and get that pushed out to Steam and HIB.

FIQ

Sounds awesome!
I would mostly appreatice some fixes with the warp lines (they're pretty unstable, you can for example skip major parts of many custom levels, like Line Wrap).

Also would love to get the Predestined Fate remix on the desktop version of VVVVVV

blue626

Quote from: simoroth on May 17, 2012, 02:10:06 PM
I think Terry has pretty much retired the project now. I can understand VVVVVV has dominated so much of his time.

I might drop him and email and do a few critical bug fixes for you guys this weekend and get that pushed out to Steam and HIB.

What about the Mac App Store? I'm waiting for months and already got sick of the 1.2 version.

FIQ

Quote from: blue626 on May 17, 2012, 06:13:49 PM
Quote from: simoroth on May 17, 2012, 02:10:06 PM

What about the Mac App Store? I'm waiting for months and already got sick of the 1.2 version.
Try sending a mail to Terry with a receipt. I'm sure he will send 2.0 to you.

(The reason of there being no 2.0 in its' App Store is that the saving of custom levels doesn't use the "save to place" dialog thing)

blue626

Read my post from the "Mac App Store Update" thread. Also, I can just buy the game again on Steam or from the VVVVVV site, instead of sending an e-mail to the developer. By the way, what's a receipt?

EDIT: I now know what's a receipt: it's a proof that you bought something (in the case, VVVVVV). It also shows where you bought it (in this case, the Mac App Store).

EDIT 2: I bought it again on Steam. :vermillion: :viridian:

Dav999

I wonder if the Mac version will ever be released. It's was already 'coming soon' 9.5 months ago! :victoria:

blue626

I wonder about that too. Read this:

Quote from: Whirligig on February 24, 2012, 03:37:54 AM
I feel the need to ask at this point ... will there ever be a Mac version? Ever?

Quote from: Terry on February 24, 2012, 12:31:03 PM
Yeah, there will - after IGF I'm thinking of hiring someone to do the remaining work on the patch. It's a little ridiculous at this point :(

So, I guess there will be a Mac version of v.2.1.beta, in some months...

I'm even more curious if v.2.1 (stable) will be released, when it will be released on Steam and if a Mac version will be released.
However, 2.0 is good enough for me :).