Author Topic: One way walls  (Read 4162 times)

Sendy

• Professor
  • Progenitor of the Great Spike Incident of 4
    • View Profile
    • My music at soundcloud
One way walls
« on: November 02, 2011, 11:04:52 AM »
Anyone else found the one way walls in direct mode? They kinda look like yellow girders, but they only let you through in one direction each. These will come in handy for making puzzles even more of a headache  :D

If you see this Terry, were these ever destined to be part of the game? Did you find they didn't add much to it? They might make an interesting gimmick.

Terry

• Administrator
  • Captain
    • View Profile
    • distractionware
Re: One way walls
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 11:23:41 AM »
Yeah, they were one of the original mechanics in the prototype. I totally forgot you can place them and they somehow made it into the C++ port :D

I basically decided that there wasn't really anything I wanted to do with them that I couldn't do in a simpler way, which made them clutter. So I didn't use them. It might be interesting to see if anyone else can think of some good uses for them, but they're actually quite broken so I kinda doubt it.

Sendy

• Professor
    • View Profile
    • My music at soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 12:48:22 PM »
Thought so... Due to it's nature it's pretty easy to create one way systems in VVVVVV anyway. Though the horizontal varieties might be useful.

Damn It AL to Hell

• Captain
  • Mm?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 05:09:25 PM »
I saw them, I put them the way you fall through them, but in another area I walked across, thought I was trippin', but these are very useful, Heh heh heh  :vermillion:

Sendy

• Professor
    • View Profile
    • My music at soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 08:23:27 AM »
I found another unused gameplay tile! It's a pink 1x1 dissolving platform that breaks really quickly. That's got some mileage in it for an evil gimmick for a stage methinks  :viridian:

Terry

• Administrator
  • Captain
    • View Profile
    • distractionware
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 09:37:16 AM »
I found another unused gameplay tile! It's a pink 1x1 dissolving platform that breaks really quickly. That's got some mileage in it for an evil gimmick for a stage methinks  :viridian:

Oh, don't use too many of those; it'll crash the game :D

Sendy

• Professor
    • View Profile
    • My music at soundcloud
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 12:07:47 PM »

Oh, don't use too many of those; it'll crash the game :D

:victoria:

Thanks for the warning anyway :)

EDIT: A quick cursory test seems to reveal that you can use them safely provided you don't put a whole mess of them in any one screen. I think they're pretty neat... I'd advise caution with them, though.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 12:17:45 PM by Sendy »

PJBottomz

• Captain
  • Chibi Toast. It kicks your ass for miles.
    • View Profile
    • PJBottomz First Homepage
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 01:01:31 PM »
The one-way walls are awesome, but you can't flip off the vertical ones. :( They would be useful for create trap rooms, where you end up stuck with no place to go. Also, the dissolving 1x1 tiles are awesome! I found them a while ago, but I think it's unfair that they only come in 1 color. Weren't they in the VVVVVV prototype?

Sendy

• Professor
    • View Profile
    • My music at soundcloud
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 02:01:34 PM »
The one-way walls are awesome, but you can't flip off the vertical ones. :( They would be useful for create trap rooms, where you end up stuck with no place to go. Also, the dissolving 1x1 tiles are awesome! I found them a while ago, but I think it's unfair that they only come in 1 color. Weren't they in the VVVVVV prototype?

I kinda like that you can't flip on the one way tile. I may introduce them to the player and get more mileage out of them as "anti flip floors" than as one way barriers. I'm sure there's a puzzle or at least a good annoying timing challenge in there  :vermillion:

Damn It AL to Hell

• Captain
  • Mm?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 02:40:04 PM »

You crafty guy, that's my plan but whatever, I also used it the same way as the invisible blocks in megaman with spikes at the bottom of the pit under the platform.

PJBottomz

• Captain
  • Chibi Toast. It kicks your ass for miles.
    • View Profile
    • PJBottomz First Homepage
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 05:37:44 AM »

I kinda like that you can't flip on the one way tile. I may introduce them to the player and get more mileage out of them as "anti flip floors" than as one way barriers. I'm sure there's a puzzle or at least a good annoying timing challenge in there  :vermillion:
Actually, it's on the ^ ones. You can flip off the V ones. Weird, but interesting.