Beta 2.1.2 Pre-release testing thread

Started by Terry, November 16, 2011, 03:49:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FIQ

There're many reasons for this, one of them is that 2.1 is still in beta. :p

buzzyrecky

When Steam updates, will we also be getting an update for our Macs? That's what I've been waiting for.

instant

Is this still in the works? On netbooks it's still glitchy and stutters from time to time.

FIQ

iftrinketsless() doesn't work at all as expected as it looks for trinket data in unlock.vvv instead of the actual save.

Dav999

Quote from: FIQ on August 05, 2012, 09:22:14 PM
iftrinketsless() doesn't work at all as expected as it looks for trinket data in unlock.vvv instead of the actual save.

That's not only in 2.1, it's in 2.0 too!

FIQ

Quote from: Dav999 on August 05, 2012, 10:04:12 PM

Then where do you suggest me to put bugs?

There isn't a single bug in 2.1 that didn't as well exist in 2.0 that I'm aware of, possibly with the exception of the new joystick features.

blue626

Quote from: FIQ on August 05, 2012, 11:25:52 PM
Quote from: Dav999 on August 05, 2012, 10:04:12 PM

Then where do you suggest me to put bugs?

There isn't a single bug in 2.1 that didn't as well exist in 2.0 that I'm aware of, possibly with the exception of the new joystick features.

I'm not sure where to write about bugs glitches because there are various places. You can write in:

• This thread
  • The "2.1 Beta patch" thread
  • The "Version 2: Report bugs here thread"
Or, you can create a new thread in this board. I've always done this last option. Which of the options is the right one?

avengah

There is one bug in 2.1 that wasn't in 2.0 - the gravity lines have been moved one pixel to the left, which broke some of A New Dimension's automatic rooms, including Ping Pong Flippety Flap, Velocity Determines Impact, Ribbed and the one next to it.

N

Quote from: avengah on October 14, 2012, 03:19:33 AM
There is one bug in 2.1 that wasn't in 2.0 - the gravity lines have been moved one pixel to the left, which broke some of A New Dimension's automatic rooms, including Ping Pong Flippety Flap, Velocity Determines Impact, Ribbed and the one next to it.
QUIT BUMPING THREADS
The last post was 2 months ago.

blue626

Ironically, that's a fix (Did you know that already)! :D However, that fix broke some levels... should it be removed? Terry knew it would brake some levels, and it did break, so why was it fixed? I know that disalignment with spikes is ugly, but... is it better to stay it fixed or not? :-\

Dav999

Quote from: blue626 on October 19, 2012, 04:26:55 PM

Ironically, that's a fix (Did you know that already)! :D However, that fix broke some levels... should it be removed? Terry knew it would brake some levels, and it did break, so why was it fixed? I know that disalignment with spikes is ugly, but... is it better to stay it fixed or not? :-\

Maybe it's the best idea to just move the sprite of the gravity line one pixel to the left, instead of the hitbox too. There may be some levels which need pixel precision, like the aforementioned automatic rooms, and some other levels which are very hard in one version, but impossible in the other because the gravity line was moved. So, would just moving the sprite be that bad?

blue626

Quote from: Dav999 on October 19, 2012, 04:35:09 PM
Quote from: blue626 on October 19, 2012, 04:26:55 PM

Ironically, that's a fix (Did you know that already?)! :D However, that fix broke some levels... should it be removed? Terry knew it would brake some levels, and it did break, so why was it fixed? I know that dmisalignment with spikes is ugly, but... is it better to stay leave it fixed or not? :-\

Maybe it's the best idea to just move the sprite of the gravity line one pixel to the left, instead of the hitbox too. There may be some levels which need pixel precision, like the aforementioned automatic rooms, and some other levels which are very hard in one version, but impossible in the other because the gravity line was moved. So, would just moving the sprite be that bad?

Terry said that, in his opinion, that would be even worse than a "barely noticeable" misalignment. Imagine a very hard room with vertical gravity lines. The player would expect to flip sooner/later, but he/she doesn't, leading to death. I don't know if rooms like this exist, though.
Perhaps leaving like it was in 2.0. is better, that's what I think. What do you think?

(Off-topic: Notice the mistakes in my post fixed in the quote (I'll also fix in the post itself). bold=added, strikethrough=erased).