Wouldn't it be cool if each member of the crew has a separate special power?

Started by Bloodshadow, January 21, 2010, 05:11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

James

Quote from: Tukkun on March 10, 2010, 02:09:15 PM
Terry broke his own rules of "Green Dudes Can't Flip". How can green get to the teleporter to the secret lab if he can't flip?

Not necessarily. You don't see how he gets to the teleporter so it's not necessarily by flipping. Maybe he can jump, or has found some other way to compensate for his disability.

Or...here's a plausible theory. Maybe he can't flip, but he can still fall upward like the others, but without flipping. I imagine he wouldn't usually do this, because he would land on his head...but if he falls upward into a teleporter it's be okay.

cymon

Quote from: Terry on January 21, 2010, 11:50:00 AM
One of my IGF judges suggested I do the same thing as you, actually - unlock new abilities as you rescue each character so you can reach new areas and blah blah blah and so on. It annoyed me a little, because I felt like he was judging it as the game he felt it should be, rather than what I had made. He basically wanted me to turn it into a regular metroidvania, even though the game is specifically designed not to be one.
You know, my initial thought was not to do it as a metroivania but more of a Gunstar Heroes or a Megaman X4 where the different character you pick at the beginning changes what path you take through the levels, but any one of them are capable of making it to the end on their own.

Auzei

Quote from: StephenM3 on January 21, 2010, 06:37:07 PM
I'm glad this wasn't muddled with extra mechanics.  A large part of what made this fun is the single-mechanic-focused design.  That's why Driller feels impossible the first time you encounter it, but is a peice of cake if you return after beating the game:  you're actually developing and improving a skill.

What's Driller? I'm interested.

James

Quote from: Auzei on June 05, 2010, 02:50:09 PM
What's Driller? I'm interested.

Driller is pretty much the hardest part of the first level, Space Station 1. It's also the part of the level where Space Station 1 and Space Station 2 overlap, though you can't actually get from SS1 to SS2 here, only the other way around.

Here's what the VVVVVV Wiki has to say about driller.