Hidden remix of Predestined Fate in the 3DS version of VVVVVV

Started by m-tiger, January 01, 2012, 11:17:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m-tiger

Happy New Year all!

Just wanted to say here that the 3DS version of VVVVVV is awesomesauce, I grabbed it the second I realized it was released here in the US on the eShop and played through it immediately.

In doing so, I found a hidden remix of Predestined Fate that rocks!  :viridian:

To get it to play, you have to get to the Final Level, start to play through it (at least one screen), then backtrack to the start of the level (who in their right mind backtracks during the Final Level? I dunno why I decided to mess around and go back, but I'm glad I did! :vermillion:). The normal version of Predestined Fate will fade away and the remix will start.

Souleyte tweeted that it will be released in his new album coming next week. I can't wait!.

-M

seaking177

i KNEW it didn't sound normal, i sometimes leave my 3DS sitting by me just to listen to that song. and i thought it was in "PPPPPPowerup!"?

m-tiger

Nope, it's not included in "PPPPPPowerup!", but it is going to be part of the new album releasing on the game's 2 year anniversary.

When I first noticed it I was playing the game with my GF in the room with me and immediately commented "hmm, the song changed" to her cause it was something new. After I finished the game, I went back and made a pretty bad quality recording of it using a patch cable from the headphone jack to my computer.

I uploaded it to youtube the day after the game came out: http://youtu.be/jFC9evxao_I

-M

seaking177

ah! i could have sworn it was in there, i might need my ears checked :(.
i have a save file on an extra SD card so i can go to the song whenever i want :D.

i can't look at the video yet (on my 3DS web browser) but did you record in Surround sound?

m-tiger

Nah, just good ol Stereo sound.

Also, you can get back to the Final Level any time by using the Time Trial mode. Puts you right at the start of it, easy to trigger the song from there, no need for the extra card.

Martze

Oh good, I'll finally be able to give SoulEye money for Paced Energy and Piercing the Sky.

The new Predestined Fate is pretty rockin', too. I bought the 3DS port just to have it (What? My levels are in it!) but I may put in the hour of my time necessary to beat the game again just to see this easter egg personally.

Terry

Frustratingly, this wasn't intended as an "Easter egg" - just a new song for the final level. Somewhere clearly went wrong in the version Nicalis submitted to Nintendo. :victoria:

Damn It AL to Hell

That song is awesome! But a bit different from the original, since the real one is a bit more calm and subtle in nature.

SirBryghtside

Quote from: m-tiger on January 01, 2012, 11:29:28 PM
Nope, it's not included in "PPPPPPowerup!", but it is going to be part of the new album releasing on the game's 2 year anniversary.

When I first noticed it I was playing the game with my GF in the room with me and immediately commented "hmm, the song changed" to her cause it was something new. After I finished the game, I went back and made a pretty bad quality recording of it using a patch cable from the headphone jack to my computer.

I uploaded it to youtube the day after the game came out: http://youtu.be/jFC9evxao_I

-M
That's awesome! That's sealed the deal for me buying this :viridian:

m-tiger

Quote from: Terry on January 02, 2012, 01:10:02 PM
Frustratingly, this wasn't intended as an "Easter egg" - just a new song for the final level. Somewhere clearly went wrong in the version Nicalis submitted to Nintendo. :victoria:

Hmm. Several people have commented on the youtube page I linked, saying that for them the remix plays for them immediately when they get to the Final Level, so maybe Nicalis quietly put out a fix at some point? I downloaded the game on the eShop the day it released, so if they did update/fix it after that, it would explain why it's 'hidden' for me and not for others (though it wouldn't explain why the eShop says there is no update for any of my games).

Side-note to Terry: I was excited to see VVVVVV made it to Minecon, I got to try it there for the first time in 3D and was amazed (and knew I would be buying it again, hehe), but didn't get a chance to bump into you. Also, I don't think I Streetpassed you, either (that was your 3DS, right?).  :victoria:

-M

seaking177

Quote from: m-tiger on January 10, 2012, 08:10:15 AM
Quote from: Terry on January 02, 2012, 01:10:02 PM

Hmm. Several people have commented on the youtube page I linked, saying that for them the remix plays for them immediately when they get to the Final Level, so maybe Nicalis quietly put out a fix at some point?
they must mean the main final level, that you go in with normal play. if you play a time trial run of the level, it doesnt play the remix.
the only games from the e-shop that have got updates so far are VC and 3D Classics  :victoria:

i may make a video showing the normal level and the time trial later...

Edit:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXgXRsuhVEY
time trial and normal game differences :D!

Martze

Nintendo made an exception for Nicalis before. Patches for Wii games are exceedingly rare, but they released one for Cave Story Wii.

m-tiger

Quote from: seaking177 on January 10, 2012, 10:58:27 PM
they must mean the main final level, that you go in with normal play. if you play a time trial run of the level, it doesnt play the remix.
the only games from the e-shop that have got updates so far are VC and 3D Classics  :victoria:

i may make a video showing the normal level and the time trial later...

Edit:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXgXRsuhVEY
time trial and normal game differences :D!

Yeah, they are saying that the remixed music played normally for them when they got to the Final Level in the normal game. When I played through it though, it was the normal version of the song, not the remix, until I decided to fool around and backtrack. When I later went to record the song, I used the Time Trial as it was a faster way to the Final Level, and as you stated, the Time Trial requires backtracking.

Collen

Yeah, I THOUGHT this was a remix, but I couldn't find anything on youtube. What's the name of it? My idea is "Placating Pesante", but that's probably incorrect.