VVVVVV Records: No Death Mode, Super Gravitron, Time Trials

Started by Terry, January 12, 2012, 03:57:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dav999

Quote from: FIQ on January 14, 2013, 11:15:38 AM
Quote from: RobinLSL on January 14, 2013, 11:11:53 AM
Pausing with esc is pretty much unusable - too much disturbance.

In other silly news, I got 6:50 ...
Have you thought of clearing no death with all 20 trinkets yet? ;)

That was what I was thinking of trying once I manage no death w/o any trinkets (but the mandatory one, of course).

What's the penalty for not getting it? ;)

FIQ

Quote from: RobinLSL on January 14, 2013, 03:37:51 PM

That was what I was thinking of trying once I manage no death w/o any trinkets (but the mandatory one, of course).

I'm really scared of that one trinket in the lab where you have to go into a tiny corner in AND out. Veni Vidi Vici shouldn't be too bad, but I think a main obstacle would be the pure boredom of going all around the map everytime...
As the laboratory is kinda evil with that trinket, doing laboratory first should result in less frustration :p

Veni Vidi Vici isn't evil, just hard. Definitely possible to master and I can manage it quite easily now.

blue626

Quote from: FIQ on January 14, 2013, 03:48:42 PM
As the laboratory is kinda evil with that trinket, doing laboratory first should result in less frustration :p

But if you don't expect/want to complete the whole challenge, then you should do it the opposite way (going to the Lab last), well, at least that's how I think. I think his is true for No Death mode without optional trinkets too (if you think that SS2 is the hoardest then do it last).

About the trinket, I can easily get past the obstacle once after my 2nd or 1st death, but I don't think I ever passed it without deaths.
I still find DTTHW harder than that, as I normally die 5 times, but I did it without deaths various times. I once even did that 3 times in a row (by comopleting DTTHW 4 times in a row with deaths before I completed it the 1st time)!

Quote from: Dav999 on January 14, 2013, 03:38:32 PM

???
You can't avoid getting the trinket. Did you know this?

Dav999

Quote from: blue626 on January 18, 2013, 07:05:27 PM

???
I did, but 'mandatory' means "required by law or rules; compulsory". As if there's a rule which says that you have to get that :shiny:!

Article 20:   Shiny Trinkets
(1) All persons have the right to choose whether they wish to collect the first 19 (nineteen) shiny trinkets or not, and which trinkets to collect.
(2) The aforementioned rule does not apply to the 20th (twentieth) shiny trinket, located in the room "V". It is prohibited to complete the game without collecting said trinket.

blue626

Quote from: Dav999 on January 18, 2013, 07:54:30 PM

???
I did, but 'mandatory' means "required by law or rules; compulsory". As if there's a rule which says that you have to get that :shiny:!

(1) All persons have the right to choose whether they wish to collect the first 19 (nineteen) shiny trinkets or not, and which trinkets to collect.
(2) The aforementioned rule does not apply to the 20th (twentieth) shiny trinket, located in the room "V". It is prohibited to complete the game without collecting said trinket.

Well, it isn't possible to avoid it in any normal game mode (including invincibility). If you had some way to teleport to another place (like editing something in the save file when outside no Death Mode, I suppose), then... thinking... the game finishes after completing the Final Level in No Death Mode... Okay, I give up. :D

Dav999

Quote from: blue626 on January 18, 2013, 08:12:58 PM

???

Well, it isn't possible to avoid it in any normal game mode (including invincibility). If you had some way to teleport to another place (like editing something in the save file when outside no Death Mode, I suppose), then... thinking... the game finishes after completing the Final Level in No Death Mode... Okay, I give up. :D

But would there be a glitch if you don't collect that trinket? I mean, the text of the crew members changes when you've completed the game, so what would happen for example if you complete the game, collect all trinkets except for the one in V, and talk to :victoria: who still has one in her pocket! Would she say you collected all of them?

Hilbert

Quote from: Dav999 on January 18, 2013, 08:39:53 PM

???

But would there be a glitch if you don't collect that trinket? I mean, the text of the crew members changes when you've completed the game, so what would happen for example if you complete the game, collect all trinkets except for the one in V, and talk to :victoria: who still has one in her pocket! Would she say you collected all of them?
No. There are actually 18 trinkets + the one in V and the one :victoria: / :vitellary: gives you.

blue626

???

I doubt that the trinket is considered different from the others internally, so, no. She would only give you the one in her pocket like she would normally do when having 18 trinkets.

Now, when not referring to No Death Mode, but the main game, it's slightly different...
You return to Dim. VVVVVV after completing the Final Level and, when playing normally, never return to the Polar Dimension.
If you can return there in some way, you can skip then collect it later to be able to go to the Secret Lab.
If you can't, then you can still complete the Final Level with zero trinkets, but you couldn't ever have 20 and thus canb't get to the Secret Lab. If you can with your hack (or whatever) without having 20 trinkets, then you would be cheating.
The 3rd and 2nd last phrases I wrote imply that going to the Secret Lab is mandatory. If that would be true then rule 1 would be false, as collecting all 20 trinkets would be mandatory. Going to the Secret Lab isn't mandatory, right? Then the 2nd rule is false and you can avoid getting the trinket...

Quote from: RoskillaHULK!! on January 18, 2013, 08:55:01 PM

???

No. There are actually 18 trinkets + the one in V and the one :victoria: / :vitellary: gives you.

I think that his question was that if you complete the Final Level the game would assume that you collected the trinket. He already knew that.

We're off-topic!

Dav999

What would happen if you do it the other way around, so collecting all 20 trinkets without completing the game? After collecting the last one, you can perform the invincibility glitch, and then talk to :victoria: to go to the secret lab? Would the trophy that you completed the game show up? (Trophies are kept after starting a new game, so I mean if you backup your current saves, reset all data in VVVVVV, and do the invincibility glitch without completing the game, but with 20 trinkets)
There are two possibilities:
  • If that trophy is NOT awarded if you complete the game in flip mode (because there's a separate trophy for that), then I guess both of them wouldn't show up.
  • If that trophy IS awarded when you complete the game in flip mode, in combination with the flip mode trophy, then I guess it would always show up, no matter what, because there is no need to check for something that is always true.

FIQ

You're not allowed to go to the secret lab before completing the game, even if you have all the trinkets.

Dav999

Quote from: FIQ on January 19, 2013, 11:35:37 PM
You're not allowed to go to the secret lab before completing the game, even if you have all the trinkets.

That's why I was wondering what would happen. Or did you mean that they don't explode if you tried to do it?

FIQ

Quote from: Dav999 on January 19, 2013, 11:50:28 PM
Quote from: FIQ on January 19, 2013, 11:35:37 PM

That's why I was wondering what would happen. Or did you mean that they don't explode if you tried to do it?
Indeed, Victoria wouldn't notice that you had them all.

Dav999

I forgot that you can just unlock the secret lab from the unlock menu, so that means that the game most likely checks whether or not you have completed the game.

allison

Quote from: Dav999 on January 10, 2013, 03:55:21 PM
Yep. :D But it may still be the highest time ever! (also looking at invincibility cheaters)

I actually first posted that screenshot in this thread.

Once I let a friend of mine play my copy of VVVVVV. When I played it afterwards and started the gravtron, the record listed was around 3 minutes.

blue626

It seems very hard to try to pass through the horizontal grav. lines (like in here) when the floor is 4 tiles from the grav. line. Because of that, trying to use that glicth in Three's a Crowd or in the 1st part of Three's Company is useless. However, when the floor is 3 tiles form the grav. line (like in the 3rd part (out of 4) of Three's Company), it isn't hard.

Changing topic (but still on-topic), I really find Kids His Age Bounce realtively hard when speedruning. I, about 2 out of 3 times, hold left for too much time at some point...

Also, I got:
2:2? with 4 deaths and 4 trinkets on the Lab (don't know the last digit, but still faster than I evr did).
1:30 with 6 deaths and 0 trinkets on the Tower (deaths were on purpose, remember the trick? Also, 1:30 should actually be 1:31, due to the timer glitch).

Quote from: crazyal02 on February 08, 2013, 11:58:05 PM
Quote from: Dav999 on January 10, 2013, 03:55:21 PM
Yep. :D But it may still be the highest time ever! (also looking at invincibility cheaters)

I actually first posted that screenshot in this thread.

Once I let a friend of mine play my copy of VVVVVV. When I played it afterwards and started the gravtron, the record listed was around 3 minutes.

:o :o :o
(He did 3 minutes in what I suppose is around 1:30 hours while I never got more than 13,7 sec.).