Source code

Started by Keiji, February 03, 2012, 02:35:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keiji

Has the VVVVVV source code been released anywhere?

Just curious, since a lot of the Humble Bundle games have released the source.

Not that I particularly mind either way. I just like to see how thinks work when I can.

dinx2582

The source code has not been released, nor has Terry mentioned any plans to do so.  Personally I doubt he will, and I believe the same goes for the ported version.

Keiji

That's what I thought; doesn't hurt to check though. Thanks for the quick reply. :)

FIQ

Would be interesting to read (allthough I'm not that comfortable with C++) - but I have understanding for Terry not wanting to release the source.

Whirligig

Terry releases source = piracy is really really easy = Terry: :violet: :victoria: Pirates: :vermillion: Fanbase: :vitellary: :verdigris:.

It's fairly easy to rip/redo the graphics and SFX and make a clone though.

Keiji

Really? You're concerned about pirates of all things? :verdigris:

Indie gamers don't pirate. Why? Because indie games are cheap and easy to buy and you know where your money is going. As opposed to commercial games where 90% goes to the middlemen.

I got VVVVVV through one of the Humble Bundles. If I wanted to, I could have given absolutely nothing to Terry by adjusting the sliders as such. No, of course i didn't do that. Plus: simply because it's in a Humble Bundle in the first place, it's ALREADY easy to pirate, since any Humble Bundle game has a download link that could be shared with any number of people once found by one paying customer.

Terry

It's something I've thought about in the past, but with the 3DS version now it seems unlikely to happen. Sorry.

Martze

Quote from: Whirligig on February 04, 2012, 03:02:43 AM
Terry releases source = piracy is really really easy = Terry: :violet: :victoria: Pirates: :vermillion: Fanbase: :vitellary: :verdigris:.

It's fairly easy to rip/redo the graphics and SFX and make a clone though.

Piracy is already really easy, with the game having no DRM.

Pirating the game is currently far easier than downloading the source code, compiling it, and pirating the assets (sound, graphics, level data, script, etc.)

And what's so terrible about people making VVVVVV clones? Companies like Zynga that steal games like a living could easily whip up their own version of the game because they're large companies with lots of developers, and they wouldn't have any legal liability whatsoever. On the other hand, if they did decide to steal VVVVVV's source code, they would get in legal trouble for it. "Open source" means "anyone can look at the source," not "anyone can do anything they want with the source."

seaking177

Quote from: Whirligig on February 04, 2012, 03:02:43 AM
:verdigris:
i bought the game on the 3DS because i pirated V1.0 for windows....

but with making the game open source, i doubt nintendo could do much about the 3DS port, its not like they would remove the game...i mean, its not like someone would find a huge exploit on the computer version and use it on the 3DS, the security they have put in the 3DS (as far as i have seen) would not allow such an exploit to be so easy to find.

and hell, if the source was released and nintendo DID remove VVVVVV from the eshop, i would be trying all i could to get them to put it back up.

Pyrite

Quote from: seaking177
i bought the game on the 3DS because i pirated V1.0 for windows....
YOU ARE A PIRATE

Sorry, couldn't resist.

aesopslastfable

I dont know anything about the potential of the source code being released other than the AMAZING things that have been done with Freespace 2.

Im glad to finally be seeing piracy starting to get wounded. Its just a shame that sopa and pipa are so vague that if their passed then it could hurt the internet as a whole.

On the other hand theres groups like Anonymous (maybe its 1 individual who knows) who protest these bills talking about some big brother crap and freedoms etc.

It just sounds hypocritical to hear that when piracy has been going on so long and has done so much damage that maybe the internet needs a crushing fist of order to pay a visit every once in a while.

And by wounded I mean megaupload and btjunkie shutting down.