Extra Zone

Started by Pyrite, February 12, 2012, 02:40:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pyrite

Quote from: blue626 on June 19, 2012, 07:39:53 PM
I finished the level with 10/13 trinkets.
I'll try to express my opinion, but I'm not a game reviewer.

Originality: Some trinkets were original. Rating: 7/10 :verdigris:
Level structure: I like levels with sub-levels (which you can do at any order) and with secrets. I also like open areas where you can explore Rating: 8/10 :viridian:
Story: So, they got there through a big warp token. How can Vermillion be a wizard while exploring dimensions, considering the existence of teleporters, etc.? Also, there are 2 Vermillions and no Vitellarys. I liked how an area is a city (Bel-Air), and the fact that Violet wanted to stay there. I also noticed Skype. Rating: 7/10 :verdigris:
Design: I see you used direct mode, and created objects with it. That was good. There are some one tile thin walls, though. Rating: 7/10 :verdigris:
Difficulty Balance: Note: You get a high rating for having medium difficulty and a low score for being too hard/easy. Ideal difficulty there are some hard places, like YOU ARE A PIRATE or the 2nd room of the Lab, but the rest is ideal. Rating: 9/10 :viridian:
Glitch Amount: You exploited at least 4 glitches on purpose, which are necessary to clear the level, and that's bad level design. Also, there should be a separation between the "Chamber of trinkets" and the open area. Also,in the "Okay, You win" trinket, you could have put a warp token so that you don't need to die (create walls around it except above it, so that you get the trinket before you touch the warp token). Most of the scripts repeat. There are also the glitches I mentioned in other posts. Rating: 3/10 :victoria:
Total rating: 14 :shiny:/20

EDIT: Added ratings, difficulty balance and wrote more things.
FIRST OFF: The three missing trinkets are in the "Final zone/Ominous zone" and are placeholders, I'm planning on adding a notification after you get 10 trinkets to tell you where to go, or I'll use the gotoroom command (is that it?) that is used in Return to VVVVVV.
I need to know what these exploits are, and unless you're doing a no death run or something I don't see why I should remove the death trinket. If you're counting then just subtract 1 from your death count.
The upside-down wall moving thing IS an exploit I know of, and I wasn't planning on this getting featured or anything but I thought it was cool, besides there's pretty much no way you could mess it up because of the spikes unless you're TRYING to screw yourself over, in which case I'm not sure what to say. Conclusively, I can't figure out why but as soon as you take the warp token in "Ominous Crater", VVVVVV will crash. I'm not sure why, because I think my scripts work, unless you can't have a flash and a say command right in the room entrance.
Also the cool trinket notifier doesn't work. Will fix it, but it'll be less cool. Wait, there's no  :vitellary:? I can't really replace the  :vermillion: in the cliff face, sooooooo... I'll find the other  :vermillion:.

blue626

I collected the 3 trinkets in the final zone. The 3 trinkets I didn't collect are "Mobile Trinket Device" (because of a glitch, was that made on purpose?), "Don't forget the sauce" and another one I didn't find.
The  :vermillion: s are: the one hat says "Kazam" and the one that's in the "snake".
Is "Omnious Crater" the last room in the Final Challenge? In that case the warp token works.
Also, what's needed to rescue the "wizard" Vermillion? (write in white). I thought I needed to go to the Final Challenge to rescue him.
The exploits are in these rooms: "IT'S A TRIP", "Science Project" and the 2 collision errors, which are in "Misstep" and in the Final Level.
And, no I didn't count my deaths, but I still think death trinkets are unfair (I'm not the only one that thinks like this).
Quote from: manofperson on June 23, 2012, 02:10:08 PM
The upside-down wall moving thing IS an exploit I know of, and I wasn't planning on this getting featured or anything but I thought it was cool, besides there's pretty much no way you could mess it up because of the spikes unless you're TRYING to screw yourself over, in which case I'm not sure what to say.
I don't understand what glitch do you mean.

FIQ

Never have a script running which is possible to trigger as you hit a trinket or a crewmate. Ever. VVVVVV will freeze if you have.

Pyrite

I think I fixed Vermillion in the last update...? But in THIS update, the Ominous Challenge/whatever still exploits the wall "glitch" that you didn't know what i was talking about. Now the vermillion you were talking about was originally Vitellary but I changed his colour when I tried to apply backing. "IT'S A TRIP TRAP" isn't  an exploit, they're non-damaging spikes in Direct Mode. Science Project no longer makes you go inside of platforms and you really have to try for that to happen. Wait, the warp token to Ominous Entrance works? It crashed for me, so I added some room around it. Wizard Vermillion works for me... but update is up NOW!

blue626

I think I played v.1.2_02, and the warp token IN the last room in the final challenge worked.
Also, I have VVVVVV v.2.0, so, I don't have Direct Mode. I didn't knew at that that time about the non-damaging spikes.
I rescued every crewmate, that's why I said I completed the level. I was curious if I needed to go to the Final Level. If it is needed, why did you put trinkets in it?
Have you already uploaded v.1.2.2b (last version)? If yes, I'll download it.

Pyrite

blue626

So, I played v 1.3.1 (I'm not sure, but it's at least 1.3), and it saved the save file from the other version, but made the changes. I began with 7/13 trinkets (probably because you changed 3 of them). I had to get the the "You win" trinket again. I noticed the warp token, you should remove the room text.

Also, I had to rescue Vittelary again (the 2nd Vermillion in the other version)

I collected the "Don't forget the sauce" and the "Portable trinket device" trinkets. I believe there's still a glitch in that room when you die after touching the bottom checkpoint.
In the Vermillion room, the music still doesn't change after dying after touching the checkpoint.

There's a glitch in the room below the trinket in the final challenge, probably because you put the wall too much to the left. It makes almost impossible to go forward.
I'm still curious of how to rescue Vermillion. I already had rescued, but what's needed? I thought I needed to go to the Final Challenge, but it destroyed the gravity lines before I completed it.

I suggest a checkpoint at "You are a winner".

Pyrite

To rescue Vermillion, you need to have 9 trinkets. To continue on in the Final Challenge, you need to go back up in the second room. It's the only part of it that doesn't warp around, I'll make that more obvious. The mobile trinket device glitch is going to be fixed.  :vermillion: :vitellary: :victoria:

Pyrite

BUMP of THREE PAGES to show how cool I am for not leaving the forum around the time FlamingBanana and Insani did.
Also so hacker plays it and has weird grammar thing.

Rioshoa

Hey Hey, I think I'm gonna tackle this level and give you my 2 cents on it.  I'm going to be doing this by recording so you can actually see my progress, thoughts, and opinions on what the level is like. 

Is it wrong of me to post my channel or a link to the play-through when I'm done here?  I won't now in the even I get yelled at, but the channel is the same as my name either way.

MoogiGMD

Quote from: manofperson on September 18, 2012, 12:10:29 AM
BUMP of THREE PAGES to show how cool I am for not leaving the forum around the time FlamingBanana and Insani did.
Also so hacker3443 plays it and has weird grammar thing.

WTF?

lollllllll

N

due  to my dull playing skills, "YOU ARE A PIRATE" is too hard  :victoria:
Maybe once I beat the map, I'll review it

Pyrite

Thanks everyone for the feedback! Tekkit is cool. Also...

Quote from: Hacker3443 on September 22, 2012, 09:36:08 AM
lollllllll
See I knew it.

avengah

I've found a glitch in the very final room. Sometimes when entering and going for the checkpoint, you're stopped so that the guy can speak, which forces you into the spikes and stops you reaching the checkpoint.

The annoying thing is, I actually made it once, but I hadn't collected all the crew. Now I just can't do it. I always trigger that text box every time I would otherwise reach the checkpoint.

EDIT: I've finally done it. Yeah, it is possible but very, very difficult. It's pixel perfect. I suggest making the script box smaller - maybe one square on the right edge of the platform. That way, you won't graze it when going upwards.

EDIT 2: YOU ARE A PIRATE is actually much easier if you ignore the checkpoint and fall downwards through the whole room.