Author Topic: Extra Zone  (Read 8830 times)

Pyrite

• Captain
  • New name who dis
    • View Profile
    • http://you.ar/a/nidi/ot.shtml
Extra Zone
« on: February 12, 2012, 06:40:40 AM »

:shiny:  :viridian:  :victoria:  :vermillion:  :vitellary:  :verdigris:  :violet:
Now renamed, revamped, and re-something else that goes with those things. It's got:
  • Crossword puzzles
  • Laboratories
  • Secret areas
  • ecroF evitisoP
  • Scripting
  • Integral music changes
  • And a whole lot more! (Well, maybe not THAT much more...)

CHANGELOG

1.3.1 NOW, it's in its final state. I might add to it, I might not, whatever. You can now get 13 trinkets, two of which are OMINOUS, one of which is CHEAP, and the rest are scattered around.

1.3!!!!! Version that has a room of ominousness.

1.2.2b Buggy version that I can't figure out why, but crashes in Ominous Entrance when you warp to it.

1.2_1 Aesthetic changes.

1.2_02 Minor bug fixes and new area and stuff placeholder logic blah update.

1.2 *OLD* Now the level contains content, bug fixes, an emergency entrance, a rare cab, and a butan to push.

1.1 Added more scripts and added an additional trinket

1.0: Initial release (yeah)

:shiny:  :viridian:  :victoria:  :vermillion:  :vitellary:  :verdigris:  :violet:
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 05:11:04 AM by manofperson »

Pyrite

• Captain
  • New name who dis
    • View Profile
Re: The Story of Captian Viridian in Another Dimention North of California
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 12:41:05 PM »
lotsa spaghetti

need more download. changed name to be shorter and more appealing.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 06:53:22 AM by manofperson »

Insani

• Doctor
  • U JELLY?
    • View Profile
Re: The Story of Captian Viridian in Another Dimention North of California
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 07:38:06 PM »
Haha. I'll try it out.

The level editor section seems a bit dead nowadays, I know it feels to wait days and not get a single piece of feedback.  :victoria:

Now on to the level!

Alright, had a hard time finding the level. You might want to change the thread title / In-game level title to match with the other.

You might want to add some sense of where to go, after promethean laboratory / aerial stunts,  I didn't know where to go and was just leaping trying to find something to explore.

Again, the lack of checkpoints is annoying - I have to redo MTSD everytime I die now, due to lack of checkpoints at the teleport-out point.

Another glitch. I can't get out of the chamber of trinkets because all the sides warp! And it's surrounded by walls, so I can't get in to the trinket and the warp.

All in all though, so far, I've found the level to be pretty creative, but it really needs more checkpoints and a sense of direction. I can't quite understand where I'm supposed to go in many places, and large spaces of blank rooms tend to contribute to this sense of uncertainty. I look forward to finishing it once it's done.

I hope that my comments help :v
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 05:34:58 AM by Insani »

Pyrite

• Captain
  • New name who dis
    • View Profile
Re: Mysterious Vertical Ruins North of California
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 12:17:53 PM »
Get the new version while it's still new!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 06:19:24 PM by manofperson »

Arthur

• Doctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 09:44:16 AM »
Aerial stunts are really gonna be a real level? I loved the "We're closed" rooms, I don't want them to change! :victoria:
"YOU ARE A PIRATE" is really a surprising room. It seems more to be a luck room than a timing puzzle. You're allowed to change it!
Also, I hate having to guess where the warps are in some rooms such as "0 km to the bottom of the world". I never liked trial and error in vvvvvv levels. You can also change them :P
EDIT: "Emergency entrance" is really an emergency entrance, because you can access it from the aerial stunts training.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 03:10:50 AM by Arthur »

Pyrite

• Captain
  • New name who dis
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 03:23:16 PM »
What happened to everything? Sorry, other things happened so the 2 people who enjoyed this didn't get an update for a while... it'll be made... Eventually...

And yes, YOU ARE A PIRATE DOES have a pattern. I tested it 9004 times.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 05:23:37 PM by manofperson »

Pyrite

• Captain
  • New name who dis
    • View Profile
Re: Extra Zone
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 11:06:05 AM »
Using the powers of glitch exploits, I bump this topic and point out that the going through the wall upwards is intentional and the other way is a BAD IDEA.

blue626

• Captain
  • I changed my avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 01:01:28 PM »
I didn't finish the level yet but I found some glitches/bugs:

When you die at the start of the aerial stunts training after going forward very fast and the last checkpoint touched was in the room where was  :vermillion:, the music doesn't change back.
I found spikes hidden behind the room name in "Cabs these days" and "Misstep". Was this made on purpose?
I think that you should put a warp token in the start of Bel Air (is this a secret?) so that you can go back if you've already completed it or you give up.

EDIT:
When you enter the room at the right of "Empty?" without flipping, you die because of the spikes hidden in the disappearing platforms. Was there a purpose for this?
It's hard to see the pattern at "YOU ARE A PIRATE".
I didn't see the difficulty of the "ketchup" trinket (you understand?).
There are some walls that are 1 tile wide/tall and they don't look good. The ones at "Empty?" are almost invisible, so, you may keep those.
Also, exploiting glitches on purpose isn't good. They might be fixed, but it isn't good anyway.
From the screenshot above I see that you put the text box above Verdigris and it's green. In 2.0, the text box is grey and it's in the center, but that should happen in every level. I should ask this, then: Who said "Kazam!"? Vermillion didn't, did he?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 12:05:14 PM by blue626 »

FIQ

• Captain
  • https://github.com/FredrIQ/
    • View Profile
    • FIQ
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 12:57:27 PM »
If the point is to have invisible walls in Empty, there are *real* invisible tiles FYI (that you can access if you're using 2.1).

I've not finished this yet, I'll comment when I'm done. However, getting Viridian stuck in a wall *on purpose* feels like bad level design to me.

Pyrite

• Captain
  • New name who dis
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 07:08:41 PM »
I didn't finish the level yet but I found some glitches/bugs:

When you die at the start of the aerial stunts training after going forward very fast and the last checkpoint touched was in the room where was  :vermillion:, the music doesn't change back.
I found spikes hidden behind the room name in "Cabs these days" and "Misstep". Was this made on purpose?
I think that you should put a warp token in the start of Bel Air (is this a secret?) so that you can go back if you've already completed it or you give up.

EDIT:
When you enter the room at the right of "Empty?" without flipping, you die because of the spikes hidden in the disappearing platforms. Was there a purpose for this?
It's hard to see the pattern at "YOU ARE A PIRATE".
I didn't see the difficulty of the "ketchup" trinket (you understand?).
There are some walls that are 1 tile wide/tall and they don't look good. The ones at "Empty?" are almost invisible, so, you may keep those.
Also, exploiting glitches on purpose isn't good. They might be fixed, but it isn't good anyway.
From the screenshot above I see that you put the text box above Verdigris and it's green. In 2.0, the text box is grey and it's in the center, but that should happen in every level. I should ask this, then: Who said "Kazam!"? Vermillion didn't, did he?
Alright... This should clear things up I hope.
I'm trying to find the invisible tiles in Direct Mode but I can't find them, also "Empty?" was made when I had first gotten used to VVVVVV and finished main campaign mode twice.

Onto the bugs...
Spikes are intentionally behind the roomnames, you can hide the names in 2.1 by hovering over them.
Bel-Air has a warp token out, you reach it by activating the terminal. It actually just removes the warp-walls. (If you mean an exit within the level, that's fixed along with the music in the Vermillion room.
The "graham crackers" room to the LEFT of "Empty?" will be fixed in the next update, and your one-block tiles are either irremovable or I can't find them.
Can't find the pattern? That's why there's a midway checkpoint. You have to "feel" it. You also go between two left-moving enemies.
"ketchup"'s difficulty was in the very easy falling puzzle afterwards.
This was made in 2.1, so you're using 2.0 so the colored text boxes won't work. Vermillion IS saying "Kazam" because he's a magical wizard of olde tymes.

Also, there is no flag commands because I was too much of an idiot when this was made to implement them, and now I'm too lazy to add them in, so you'll be forced to watch plenty of delay/dialouge/flashing stuff, YAEY!

FIQ

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • FIQ
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2012, 11:03:02 AM »
Just pointing out, I'm using 2.1 and the Kazam! is gray for me.

blue626

• Captain
  • I changed my avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2012, 02:20:41 PM »
Also, there is no flag commands because I was too much of an idiot when this was made to implement them, and now I'm too lazy to add them in, so you'll be forced to watch plenty of delay/dialouge/flashing stuff, YAEY!

I forgot to tell you this: the cutscene of the Bel-Air entrance repeats. I suppose that, according to your post, it isn't going to be fixed.

and your one-block tiles are either irremovable or I can't find them.

They're in the 2nd screenshot, and I think there are more in the Lab.

(If you mean an exit within the level, that's fixed along with the music in the Vermillion room.

You mean that's what you fixed in 1.2_1? I think I downloaded 1.2_02. I don't mind repeating part of the level again, so I'll download 1.2_1.

Spikes are intentionally behind the roomnames, you can hide the names in 2.1 by hovering over them.

That's bad level design, considering that I have 2.0. Read the "To you, what is a bad level design?" thread.

"ketchup"'s difficulty was in the very easy falling puzzle afterwards.

In this case, the player doesn't see the challenge, so you should put the trinket after it, somehow.

Can't find the pattern? That's why there's a midway checkpoint. You have to "feel" it. You also go between two left-moving enemies.

I have found that after about 20 deaths. After I touched the checkpoint, it wasn't hard.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 12:01:59 PM by blue626 »

FIQ

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • FIQ
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2012, 02:31:05 PM »
Only in the level editor. Also, considering 2.1 is "beta"*, it shouldn't be relied on.

*: Beta, even though there are no single regressions (but a lot of bug fixes) - hence 2.1 beta is more stable than 2.0.

Pyrite

• Captain
  • New name who dis
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2012, 03:03:22 PM »
I mean it's fixed, but I didn't upload it yet because of unknown reasons.
(Some relating to THIS and THIS.

blue626

• Captain
  • I changed my avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2012, 12:39:53 PM »
I finished the level with 10/13 trinkets.
I'll try to express my opinion, but I'm not a game reviewer.

Originality: Some trinkets were original. Rating: 7/10 :verdigris:
Level structure: I like levels with sub-levels (which you can do at any order) and with secrets. I also like open areas where you can explore Rating: 8/10 :viridian:
Story: So, they got there through a big warp token. How can Vermillion be a wizard while exploring dimensions, considering the existence of teleporters, etc.? Also, there are 2 Vermillions and no Vitellarys. I liked how an area is a city (Bel-Air), and the fact that Violet wanted to stay there. I also noticed Skype. Rating: 7/10 :verdigris:
Design: I see you used direct mode, and created objects with it. That was good. There are some one tile thin walls, though. Rating: 7/10 :verdigris:
Difficulty Balance: Note: You get a high rating for having medium difficulty and a low score for being too hard/easy. Ideal difficulty there are some hard places, like YOU ARE A PIRATE or the 2nd room of the Lab, but the rest is ideal. Rating: 9/10 :viridian:
Glitch Amount: You exploited at least 4 glitches on purpose, which are necessary to clear the level, and that's bad level design. Also, there should be a separation between the "Chamber of trinkets" and the open area. Also,in the "Okay, You win" trinket, you could have put a warp token so that you don't need to die (create walls around it except above it, so that you get the trinket before you touch the warp token). Most of the scripts repeat. There are also the glitches I mentioned in other posts. Rating: 3/10 :victoria:
Total rating: 14 :shiny:/20

EDIT: Added ratings, difficulty balance and wrote more things.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 12:32:37 PM by blue626 »