This new pace really suits the project. I’ve only scripted about a minute’s worth of dialogue in total since I resumed the project on Saturday, but the bit I have done is far better than anything from the contest demo. I can’t believe I was originally planning to do all the scripting in a couple of days! What was I thinking?
I took a big shortcut for the contest in an attempt to get what I could out in time – instead of adding a proper object management system to the map editor, I just hardcoded the object definitions into the map files. It wasn’t a big deal to do that for Gladius’s level, but it would have been to do the same for Crystalus’s level, since her level has big open spaces and each edge needs an NPC to link the maps.
So I went ahead and added object support to the map editor.
I don’t know why I thought it was going to take me ages – this only took me about half an hour to implement. It’s made adding objects to each map a hell of a lot easier.
I’m taking my time with the scripting now. My immediate goal is to finish Crystalus’s level, just to have something more to the game than the contest content. I’ll make a proper plan after that’s done.