Today, I stopped working on the engine, and started working on the game.
So, day one is over, and I’m pretty much on schedule! That’s nice for a change 😀
This project demands quite a bit of tech work before I can even start making the actual game, so today I figured the best thing I could do would be to get as much of that out of the way as possible. The less time I spend doing tech stuff in this compo overall, the better.
I’ve got something now that’s working reasonably ok – I’ve got maps with doors which bring me to new areas, I’ve got moving entities that you can shoot at, I’ve got a simple raycaster style engine with variable heights – nothing very fancy, but I think it’s enough to put together the game I’ve got in my head.
Tomorrow I’m going to get started on the game itself. Should have more to say about that then…
I got the new version of Hexagon pretty much stable last weekend, so I decided to take a little time off to do something else. 7dFPS! I’ve been really psyched up for this challenge since JW started talking about it on twitter months ago – I’ve had a very particular FPS game idea stuck in my head for years now, and I see this as an opportunity to finally get it out.
I’m not starting from scratch; I spent a lot of time this weekend struggling with a flash 3D library called Alternativa – which is pretty awesome, all things considered. I’ve got it to the point where I can walk around a simple 3D enviornment and have other entities hanging around, but that’s basically it so far. The actual game content, I’ll get started on tomorrow. I’ve still got a lot of tech work to do if this idea is going to work out…
The challenge starts tomorrow. Expect daily updates, and more details soon! 🙂