MetroidV - Work in Progress [pics] (and oddities in level editor)

Started by LaZ00L1, August 07, 2011, 05:01:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaZ00L1

Hello!  For my first project in the level editor I decided to pay homage to the NES Metroid (as Super Metroid was a bit too much).  While not an exact, tile-for-tile replica of the level design in Metroid, I will try to give a Metroid "feel" within the VVVVVV toolset.  It's still in the early stages of development as I'm waiting for more documentation on scripting, so no demo of the level yet.  I plan to follow the progression of power up/trinket collecting in scripting to open up new areas.  For example, the picture below is the section of Brinstar that leads down to Kraid's Lair.  Samus would need to collect the bombs first before getting down there, so Viridian would have to collect the corresponding trinket to open access to this area.  For now that's disabled as I'm completing that area first, but later on a gravity line will block the way down there from the start.

I'm going to to plan for the level design to be easy in the beginning and to progressively get harder.  Should custom enemies ever be implemented in a future update, I'll add those as well.  I'm debating on how many crew members to rescue, though it will be at least three, with the first two serving as the two "bosses" required to open up the last area.  A lot of scripting would be involved, and I'm just hoping what I plan to do is even possible. 

Below is the entrance to Kraid's Lair. 

I'm also going to document some oddities I find while using the level editor.  This one I don't remember seeing, so I uploaded a video the youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIf7E587L5Q
I noticed that when placing horizontal vertical lines very close together and bouncing into them from below, it created a sort of reverse-quicksand effect where Viridian is pulled to the top of the screen.  However, bouncing into it from the top does not produce this effect.  Hmm... I'll see if I can implement this somewhere.

PJBottomz

Don't use that reverse quicksand in a level. It's going to be fixed in a patch, and that will make your game absolete. :victoria:

This is very interesting, though. If you need some scripting help, I made a tutorial in the Level Editor. I can send you a link to the topic where I uploaded it.

CHz

I just wanted to say that that Kraid entrance pic looks fabulous. Really great conversion to the VVVVVV tileset.

Have you given any thought to how to direct the player? What I mean is, the items in Metroid give you a natural sort of order: "I got the bombs, so now I can go back and break those blocks," or "I got missiles, so now I can open that door," etc. Whereas with VVVVVV, since it's just trinkets and gravity lines, it turns into "I got another trinket, so now I have to go back to every place where there were gravity lines and see what opened up." Seems offhand to me like it could get pretty drudging if you don't have original game's map memorized.

That said, the original Metroid was all about getting hopelessly lost and having to backtrack five thousand times, so it could be kind of fitting after all!

Ice

The thing I think with the reverse quicksand, is that if you look at it in the editor, the line goes through slightly below the middle of the the square. This may mess up the collisions a tiny bit, I guess. I have one room in my level where you can take a shortcut from bottom to top because of this.

LaZ00L1

PJBottomz: Thanks for the heads up!  I guess if I ever come across something that doesn't behave like I think it should I can check the forums or post it.  I'll definitely check out your Script Tutorial!

CHz: I'm still debating on this, but I was thinking of placing terminals near gates that would indicate what "named" trinket would be necessary to unlock it.  Ex: finding the "bomb" trinket would open access to the breakable floor down to Kraid's Lair. 

Ice: PJBottomz said above that glitch would later be fixed, so you may want to change your level.

When I have Kraid's lair complete I'll release a demo for further feedback.  Thanks for the comments so far!

PJBottomz

Yes, and exploiting glitches is a big no-no in getting a featured level. And trust me, this is unique enough to be featured.