My Levels

Started by notsu, April 29, 2019, 02:08:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

notsu

:viridian: :viridian: :viridian: Hey guyz!Im making levels in VVVVVV, and there they will appear.

i came back here after 2 years and oh god was i terrible back then

notsu

The Eruption
i dont know how to describe it.

Balneor

Hey dude, that's nice to see. I found a couple issues, mostly during the gameplay portion :

(Picture 1, left > right / up > down) The room name hides the ground we walk on. It may not be of a huge inconvenience here, but it definitely can be problematic in others situations.
Unless it is part of the level design, I would suggest trying to avoid it, when realistically possible.

(Pic 2) There is a unfilled hole at the bottom-left corner.

(Pic 3) This script repeats. In 99% of such cases, this wastes the player's time when he retriggers it, while not making a lot of sense either (The other 1% are for intentional design choices).
While this issue can be "dodged" if you make sure the player never crosses them ever again (Like in a one way, linear level or section where the player is not expected to go backwards), this one is guaranteed to be triggered more than once, statistically.
I saw that you used flags, that's very nice to see. There is a way to fix this issue by using them. The technique is called a "load script" :

create a script called "story" containing story elements that you want the player to trigger and see.
Inside "story", write this :

ifflag(x,stop)
iftrinkets(0,loadascript)

It's important to know that there should be absolutely nothing inside the script named "stop". Inside the one named "loadascript", there should be the story, but make sure that the flag x is activated.

By using this technique, you can make cutscenes stop repeating themselves, such as this one.

(Pic 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9) The rooms labelled "Short run", "...again", and "Entrance With No Maze" (4, 5 and 6) have a lot of collision errors, and missing transitions.
Between 4 and 5, the player is instantly thrown at the action without much warning. He can also get inside the wall in 4, if he ever goes back for one second.
Between 5 and 6, it's the same deal. You are supposed to enter 6 from the bottom, but nothing indicates that it is the actual way to go. And a wall is blocking the transition off to 6, so the player has an even greater chance of getting stuck inside the tiles.
6 has a lot of collision errors.
In 7, 8 and 9, I give a repaired look and overview about what these 3 rooms could shape up to be.

In any cases, I hope these couple points will help you improve your buildings skills. I don't know if this is one of your first levels, but it is more than fine to play. Hoping to see more of you man :viridian:

Valso22

Quote from: Balneor on April 29, 2019, 07:34:39 PM
Hey dude, that's nice to see. I found a couple issues, mostly during the gameplay portion :

(Picture 1, left > right / up > down) The room name hides the ground we walk on. It may not be of a huge inconvenience here, but it definitely can be problematic in others situations.
Unless it is part of the level design, I would suggest trying to avoid it, when realistically possible.

(Pic 3) This script repeats. In 99% of such cases, this wastes the player's time when he retriggers it, while not making a lot of sense either (The other 1% are for intentional design choices).
While this issue can be "dodged" if you make sure the player never crosses them ever again (Like in a one way, linear level or section where the player is not expected to go backwards), this one is guaranteed to be triggered more than once, statistically.
I saw that you used flags, that's very nice to see. There is a way to fix this issue by using them. The technique is called a "load script" :

create a script called "story" containing story elements that you want the player to trigger and see.

ifflag(x,stop)

It's important to know that there should be absolutely nothing inside the script named "stop". Inside the one named "loadascript", there should be the story, but make sure that the flag x is activated.

By using this technique, you can make cutscenes stop repeating themselves, such as this one.

(Pic 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9) The rooms labelled "Short run", "...again", and "Entrance With No Maze" (4, 5 and 6) have a lot of collision errors, and missing transitions.
Between 4 and 5, the player is instantly thrown at the action without much warning. He can also get inside the wall in 4, if he ever goes back for one second.
Between 5 and 6, it's the same deal. You are supposed to enter 6 from the bottom, but nothing indicates that it is the actual way to go. And a wall is blocking the transition off to 6, so the player has an even greater chance of getting stuck inside the tiles.
In 7, 8 and 9, I give a repaired look and overview about what these 3 rooms could shape up to be.

In any cases, I hope these couple points will help you improve your buildings skills. I don't know if this is one of your first levels, but it is more than fine to play. Hoping to see more of you man :viridian:

lol you are the vvvvvv custom levels antivirus

notsu

Quote from: Valso22 on April 29, 2019, 08:27:47 PM

ifflag(x,stop)

lol you are the vvvvvv custom levels antivirus

yea xd

notsu

ifflag(x,stop)

Oh really? Its normal for me cuz its my first level.

notsu

Quote from: notsu on April 30, 2019, 09:07:37 AMOh really? Its normal for me cuz its my first level.
Hoooooo boy is this terrible. Can't believe my past self refused feedback like that. (I probably didnt even read the whole thing back then)
Point is i guess im back to making levels? I probably still suck at it as i have no sense of good design and will probably forget about it in like a week but, oh well. Ill try to make something better than this buggy and poorly written cough "Its mine fault" cough mess.

Am i bumping a long dead thread? Of course i am. Why wouldnt i. Anyway check out this cool cheeseburger

ILoveV6

Quote from: notsu on September 29, 2023, 04:16:26 PMcool cheeseburger

Yummy cheesy burger.
Anyways the level was pretty nice I'd say it has some cool design here and there.
The rest of my feedback is about all what balneor said.