Safety First - By Insani

Started by Insani, September 15, 2011, 06:53:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Insani

This is a concept / experimental level. Inspired by Blue's Adventure, it a bit philosophical?

It tells a bit of a story, a story about an empire, where the government has an almost fetishistic desire for safety.
A massive gravity line surrounds their planet, nobody gets in or out, no more citizens flipping into space.
The only unsafe feature of this insanely safe world - pits. Any safe man would avoid them.

Entering a pit is entirely your choice. Each pit is challenging. You get no reward for completing a pit, and neither does Viridian.
You do the challenges for the challenge - there is a safe path leading to the end, requiring only three ^ jumps.
You have no reason to do each challenge. You get no reward. All you get is a challenge and a portal back to the main path after you finish.

This level features no terminals or scripts - the story is conveyed through room text, to keep the style of the level going.

Download it here.

The Brass

Right off the bat, I flipped up at the gravity line in your screenshot and passed right through it. Is this supposed to be safety?

Insani

FFFFF

I Noticed that right after I finished it - but it only seemed to happen when you were going at a REALLY steep angle or just fooling around, and fixing it would require either walling up the top (which would look weird) or putting the gravline down, which disrupts the text.

For now, just... don't bounce around the grav line, or something...  :(

I'll be releasing an updated version in a while... with fixed grammar in some places and maybe the top walled up. :\

PJBottomz

PJBottomz Levvvvvvel Review #2 - Safety First

Room Design: 9/10 - The designs of the rooms were very nice and appealing, nothing really irritating.
Scripting: 0/10 - No, this doesn't mean I hated you scripting - that just means that there ISN'T any! :D
Plot: 4/10 - The plot was good, and I thought it was neat, but it was just a little bit... uninteresting...
Bug-Free Rating: 10/10 - No scripts = no bugs.
Difficulty: 6/10 - This was just a little bit challenging, but nothing impossible.
Overall Rating: 6/10 - This is a good idea, and it's well designed - it just needs a little bit of work on the plot.

Insani

Hmmm, I suppose the level's plot is a bit 'stale'.

However, it's more meant to be a philosophical kind of thing, the plot is there to facilitate the 'do you want to do the challenge or not' concept, so I didn't think too much of making it very interesting. Sorry about that!  :-[

PJBottomz

It's fine. I still thought it was a neat idea!

Damn It AL to Hell

Nice level, 9.6/10 :viridian:
Loved the level, and ironically safety is the last thing in the level.

Insani

Quote from: Vex69 on September 18, 2011, 11:55:07 PM
Nice level, 9.6/10 :viridian:
Loved the level, and ironically safety is the last thing in the level.

Thanks!

And yeah, it's called Safety First because of the story and the concept - just like Viridian in the level, you can do the challenges, but they don't reward you in anyway, and they don't reward viridian either.

Damn It AL to Hell

Dispensers Heal

Error detected.

Satisfaction of clearing the obstacles is a reward!  :vermillion:Errors? Can I fire the death ray?

Insani

[stop_this_foo1ishness_now]
[i_mean_it]
[rea11y_just_stop]
[8e_a_pa1]

[/foolishness]

Well, that's not really a reward? Technically? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA