Putting these in your VVVVVV level is fine, actually

Started by Ally 🌠, April 26, 2020, 03:53:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ally 🌠

Back in 2015, we had some very interesting ideas of what wasn't acceptable in a level
A lot of these suck though

Warning: Some numbers are missing because people enjoy deleting things
Also I'm not going to comment on the ones that are fine

3: Skippable Rooms
This is fine if you have like a trinket challenge or just think a room is too hard and you want to make it optional or something
4: Floating Spikes
This could be fine with custom graphics
5: Polar Dimension, but the map does not show "NO SIGNAL"
Doing this is absolutely fine tbh, it could actually look kinda cool to have multiple sections on a map
7: Intersection with disappearing platforms
No idea what this means
8: Copied scripts
Edge case, this can be done correctly (see: Detox) and is something you'll probably do a lot in VVVVVV: Community Edition
9: Improper design
Very vague
12: Repeating Scripts
Depends on why they're repeating, like changing the player color every time you enter a room is fine
15: Scripts that behave strangely
Again, very vague
16: Roomnames without Capitalization (spikes everywhere, attack of the enemies, etc.)
This can be good aesthetics (see: Unshackled)
19: Making a vertical two-block-wide passageway lined with spikes
Allie (the person who posted this originally) later released Detox which had this
20: EXTREME SWEARING
20: EXTREME SWEARING
21. Nearly impossible rooms.
Most of the time you shouldn't have really hard rooms, but if you're trying to make a hard level it's fine
25. the gravitron
This is fine if you somehow make it feel original, or abuse the timer feature of it
In this video I abuse the timer feature
27. Floating checkpoints.  I'm surprised nobody's mentioned this yet.  However, there is a little-known exploit, involving editing the level with a text editor, which produces a weird box-shaped checkpoint that spawns :viridian: in a direction determined by the previous normal checkpoint the player touched. Use with caution, as saving and re-loading at such a checkpoint crashes the game.
Floating checkpoints can be fine if your custom graphics allow them, also box checkpoints don't really do anything bad
Number 33: using internal commands that are red in the Internal Commands topic
This should be fine in VVVVVV 2.3/VVVVVV: Community Edition
38. Don't adversite in your level.
This could be fine in like, an end credits sort of section. Like, linking your SoundCloud because that's where the level's OST is or something
41. Don't make boring levels.
Vague
47. The 'custom length' warp lines you can make by editing a text file.
This is fine if you're smart with them I guess
74. Badly made scripts.
If you don't know how to make scripts, DON'T MAKE 'EM.

Very gatekeepy. Just make scripts and have fun
77? - Levels 1x1
Making one room levels isn't always a bad thing, like showing off a concept or making a challenge room of sorts
67. Swearing in your fucking level. I hate that fucking shit.
Thanks me for making this hilarious joke
Swearing in levels is fine honestly, just don't overdo it
68(?): Putting way too many enemies down. (This causes lag :violet:)
Never heard of slowdown in VVVVVV, but there are entity limits
84: Using the wrong music Example A polar dimension that plays Pushing Onwards.
You shouldn't really have unfitting music but I just don't like this example
Don't let the main game take away from your own levels
85:No music.
No music can be fine for some areas if your aesthetic allows it
86:Having innaproppriate script names.
This... should be fine? I mean, they won't ever see them, I guess. You should probably name your scripts something that actually makes sense, though.
Take that out please. In-approppriate script names are ok. The player will never see them.
Apparently I said this in the past but now I'm saying it less dumb
86:create entity 21 spam.
Entity 21 is a terminal that doesn't light up? I don't understand this one

103. An ending that sends you back to the menu with a certain internal script.  This prevents players from ever having stars next to the level in the menu.
Gamestate 1013 gives you stars as long as you collected all crewmates and trinkets
109: Conversely, don't change the music too often.  It's kind of annoying and makes your level seem unprofessional.  Try to keep every maybe 7 to 10 screens the same song.
Cutscenes that change the music a bit are fine
111. Direct mode abusing (by incapable people). It explains by itself. If you're not a ToasterApocalypse or a Crazya02, you CAN'T put random direct mode tiles.
Very, very gatekeepy. Do what looks nice and have fun doing it
113. USING ALL CAPS IN DIALOG BOXES OH MY GOD I'M RIGHT HERE YOU DON'T NEED TO YELL!!!!!
I don't see the problem with this?
130. Too much references.
413. Like this one.

this was posted 4 years ago and i only now realized it was a Funny Homestuck
132:using the same flag for 2 different things.
This is absolutely fine as long as you're smart with your flag usage
131224. INTERNAL SCRIPTS WHICH CRASH THE GAME/SEND YOU TO MENU/DESTROY YOUR SAVE!
I see nothing wrong with returning the player to the menu
It's better to end levels with gotoroom() onto a rescuable crewmate in a fully black room, though.  Also, you could use such a script as a hazard, which would be awful in every way.
Gamestate 81 may not give you stars, but gamestate 1013 is the same as rescuing the last crewmate without the annoying sound and textbox.
131225 138: Levels that were made by modifying data.zip. It's quite likely that nobody has/will do this, and do realize that I mean doing things like swapping tilesets. This can lead to tiles with incorrect properties and the level will as a whole be more ugly. But, yet again, it is likely that no one has/will do this. We have just got to the point where it is really hard not to repeat anything.
Don't modify data.zip. VVVVVV does, however have custom assets support, and I see absolutely no reason why you shouldn't use it. This paragraph makes it seem like you shouldn't use custom graphics cause everyone sucks at art, which is very... not cool
145:No Direct-Mode
146: Too Much Direct Mode. If you do it JUST right, you can have some really pretty rooms with too much direct mode, but most of the time the rooms become quite a mess when you overuse it.

No direct mode is absolutely fine if your tileset looks good. Too much direct mode only applies if you're just placing down random tiles.
20. EXTREME SWEARING
20. EXTREME SWEARING
20. EXTREME SWEARING
20. EXTREME SWEARING
20. EXTREME SWEARING
20. EXTREME SWEARING
20. EXTREME SWEARING
20. EXTREME SWEARING

Have fun making levels and stuff good luck

uugr

the end of this post is lowkey terrifying

EXTREME SWEARING
EXTREME SWEARING
EXTREME SWEARING EXTREME SWEARING EXTREME SWEARING
EXTREMESWEARINGEXTREMESWEARINGEXTREMESWEARINGEXTREMESWEARINGEXTREMESWEARINGEXTREMESWEARINGEXTREMESWEARINGEXTREMESWEARINGEXTREMESWEARING

E̵̖͚̤̲͖̫̅̐̎͗́̀̆̀̂͜͡X̷̧̢͓̲̫͕̉̅̌̍̍̔́̌̅͘T̨̥͎̰̹̞̱̔͐͛͛̉͡ͅR̶̝̼̞͉̈́̎̂͊̕͜Ë̵̟͙̘̭̞̠̭́͊͛̔̀̓͘͡ME̴̪̫̺͎̗͌̈́̔͌̓̿͗̿̿͘ Ş̵̩̗̻̘̦̜̂̈́́͗̕ͅW̴͈̼̝̳̖͓̠͍̥̎̇̀̃̊̆̅̈̈́Ę̲̝̰͈̩̭̩̻̍́̀͛́͜͠A̴͎͇̫̳̼̩̫̦͐́̍͐͗̀̚̕͟͜R̨̝̝̠̠̞͛͛̿͗̾͂͜I̴̧̞̮̩̦̒͒̎̀̏̃̚ͅŃ̗̝̫̤̻̗̜̭̝̾̐̿͒̊͌̓͘͡G̯͙̤̟̱̱͑̍̊̌̅̂̏͘͜͝

pixelator

Quote from: AllyTally ♡ on April 26, 2020, 03:53:57 PM
No idea what this means
I'd say it means placing vanishing platforms that overlap with each other, causing weirdness if you touch only the edge. Though, I don't know why this could be that big of a deal...

Quote from: AllyTally ♡ on April 26, 2020, 03:53:57 PM
Swearing in levels is fine honestly, just don't overdo it

moth 🦋

thank you very much for this thread! hopefully people will check this instead of the other one because the other one has terrible advice

Ally 🌠

now that 2.3 is out i can destroy past me once again

Quote from: Ally 🌠 on April 26, 2020, 03:53:57 PM
ah, this means disappearing platforms which touch. it might look a bit ugly but it's fine to do.

8: Copied scripts
Edge case, this can be done correctly (see: Detox)
okay, actually i just genuinely don't understand this. copying scripts is fine, as long as they're not 1:1 and can be reused. but copying scripts is something you'll have to use a lot since VVVVVV doesn't really have variable support or anything.

12: Repeating Scripts
Depends on why they're repeating, like changing the player color every time you enter a room is fine
okay, i think i was just being a dick here... the original definitely meant scripts which repeat dialogue. generally you should avoid this, however repeating dialogue is okay if it's in like, a terminal, or a crewmate. though maybe it should be a shortened version of the dialogue after the first time you see it...

19: Making a vertical two-block-wide passageway lined with spikes
Allie (the person who posted this originally) later released Detox which had this
well, i think generally you should avoid this... but in detox it was great.

68(?): Putting way too many enemies down. (This causes lag :violet:)
Never heard of slowdown in VVVVVV, but there are entity limits
not in 2.3! those were fixed. i did a stress test, though, and the game barely slows down with thousands of entities. so really, don't worry about this.

131224. INTERNAL SCRIPTS WHICH CRASH THE GAME/SEND YOU TO MENU/DESTROY YOUR SAVE!
heyy, in 2.3 your saves no longer get destroyed in custom levels. ever.

Ally 🌠

alright, new posts

181. making a dware post why some of these are actually right
i'll ignore this

182. broken gravity lines (2 gravity lines in the same spot) (can be used right in some cases)
it messes with vertical momentum and i don't think any level has used this yet (could be wrong) so... yeah this might be cool

183. swearing in a level (seriously, dont you think 3-year olds cant steal their moms phone and look at VVVVVV and dware?)
if a 3 year old is on the internet, there's much more to worry about than a small forum. i'm sorry but it's not possible to child-proof the entire internet

184. 10x10-20x20 levels where only 5 of them are actually levels
if you mean filled rooms, then yes, i agree
however if you mean "where only 5 of them are actually gameplay" then i'd disagree because there's nothing wrong with lots of cutscenes.

185. the entire level being an overworld
hey, I know a few people who would LOVE something like this

186. the entire level having only a few blocks (can be done right)
could be done right yeah. I don't know why you keep adding things that "can be done right" while saying what you shouldn't do...

187. rooms with only spikes (can be done right as well)
ditto

188. loud music
i agree here... just make sure your music is an acceptable volume and we're good.

189. invisible graphics
why? im sure you dont mean ALL graphics are invisible, and invisible tiles/sprites are hella useful
i mean, if you mean ALL graphics are invisible then yeah that'd be a pretty dumb level

190. glitched graphics
vague, but i don't know, could be done right.

191. custom minimap with an offset
i mean, true, yeah

192. minimap with text (can be done right)
again, "can be done right" means you probably shouldn't include it i guess

193. trying to make it so viridian doesnt die when she touches enemies
when they touch enemies, and i don't see anything wrong with this. decoration is decoration

SHARKIE

Ally 🌠

alright then

195. using VED to load VCE levels
Ved supported VCE levels for a while before VCE died. but yes, this is generally a bad thing to do, because you shouldn't make VCE levels anymore.

196. trying to make the player motion sick
true but I don't see how you could

197. trying to make the player throw up from being motion sick
this is just 196.

198. trying to give the player a permanent headache
i mean, i guess, but anything like that would probably get you banned

199. zipping your zipped .zip with a zipped VVVVVV level in it (corrupting it on purpose)
200. doing the previous thing, except the zipped zipped zipped zipped VVVVVV level has custom graphics as well
these just wouldn't do anything. VVVVVV wouldn't load them.

201. doing all 200 of these in one level
pretty sure you cant anyway

SHARKIE

and then unzipping all the zips and putting them in VVVVVV

SHARKIE

Quote from: dragonnew-er posts
gosh, your right, dragon!
there are newer posts!

Ally 🌠

sigh, fine
stop using these threads as a way to know whether youre right or not.

202. say(1,orange)
203. say(1,brightblue)
204. say(1,brighterblue)
205. say(1,brown)
206. say(1,valso)
207. say(1,vita)
just say using invalid colors. you do not need to do this. also theres nothing wrong with it, it'll just be gray.

208. say(any number above 15)
and what's wrong with this? works fine.

209. reply(1,color)
using a command wrong with no bad effect...

210. flag(67,on)
nothing wrong with this. this hasnt been an issue for years.

212. doing 21x21 or higher in VED
you cant do it at all. do you even test any of these?

213. corrupting your data.zip to see what happens
214. corrupting your saves folder to see what happens
215. corrupting any part of your computer that you havnt backed up
please enlighten me on what these would do. please tell me how you can put these in a level instead of them just being fucking yourself over for no reason

216. not following 213-215  :violet: :violet: :violet:
sigh

please stop doing stuff like this, its getting tiring

SHARKIE

Quote from: Ally 🌠 on February 14, 2023, 05:32:03 PM212. doing 21x21 or higher in VED
you cant do it at all. do you even test any of these?
when you change settings.lua you can

axolotl since 2012