What not to put in your VVVVVV Level

Started by VeeC7, August 22, 2015, 09:44:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funny Topical Meme

156. Forced death, like in Prize For The Reckless.

SomeRandomCreator

157. Game-Crashing Scripts: Whether intentional or not, you could at least warn us.  :victoria:
158: Choice Making Jump: Three openings, two deathS, one life. It's not so bad if you see it once, but over and over can start to get annoying.
159: Using Death as a Helper: Used whenever you're in a room with disappearing platforms, and you must reset at certain points to reset all plaTforms.

Bruce Michez

160. Enemies crossing the screen edge, when using warp lines together with a warp background.  This is actually supposed to be impossible, so it shouldn't really come as a surprise that it can trigger some strange glitches.  Specifically, an enemy can appear to disappear off the screen, but if the player crosses (and thus triggers) a warp line while this is happening, the enemy teleports to where it "should" be, potentially causing IWBTG-esque frustration.

fraZ0R

161:Permanently missable crewmates:NO , JUST Don't do this ever

Chip

162. Confusing design with multiple possible long-term paths!

The original game :-* was good. It was well designed, and it was fun. At any given moment you have a max of 2 possible paths, the second being a (usually) short trinket path.

Bruce Michez

163. Spikes immediately the far side of a gravity line.  Without an empty space in between, the spikes can kill :viridian: through the gravity line.

allison

LafondaSaysMeow

Yolotroll101

Quote from: Weird Shadow Machine on January 31, 2016, 08:07:24 PM
103. An ending that sends you back to the menu with a certain internal script.  This prevents players from ever having stars next to the level in the menu.
What if it's after a bad ending or a demo level or something lol

Ally 🌠

Also, there's a gamestate that lets you end the level with stars
gamestate(1013)

https://glaceon.ca/V/lists/#glist

Yolotroll101

Bruce Michez

Quote from: Yolotroll101 on April 22, 2018, 04:45:15 AM
Quote from: Weird Shadow Machine on January 31, 2016, 08:07:24 PM
103. An ending that sends you back to the menu with a certain internal script.  This prevents players from ever having stars next to the level in the menu.
What if it's after a bad ending or a demo level or something lol

Yes, I could have worded that better - perhaps specifying that it's the true ending that shouldn't do that.  Also, we didn't know about gamestate 1013 back then.

Yolotroll101

I'd end bad endings with a fadeout and gamestate 81.

Info Teddy

Quote from: alek on September 17, 2015, 01:49:55 PM
Quote from: VVVVVVFan102314 on September 17, 2015, 08:18:04 AM
Quote from: Weird Shadow Machine on August 28, 2015, 06:01:11 AMHowever, there is a little-known exploit, involving editing the level with a text editor, which produces a weird box-shaped checkpoint that spawns :viridian: in a direction determined by the previous normal checkpoint the player touched.  Use with caution, as saving and re-loading at such a checkpoint crashes the game.
Seen in "Viridian Killed The Radio Star"
These originally appeared in Dimension SIMPLE, but I decided to remove them in a patch because of the reload crashing thing.
Quote from: Bruce Michez on December 06, 2015, 09:03:43 PM
Quote from: Vultarix on December 06, 2015, 05:45:52 PM48. Box checkpoints.
I actually disagree with this one.  I know where you're coming from: starting at one of these in the editor crashes the game, as does loading a saved game at one.  But in practice, the chances of someone actually saving at one of these are quite low, especially if used in an area full of gravity lines and/or crumbling platforms.
box-shaped checkpoints cannot crash the game
Quote from: SteveGamer68 on June 01, 2016, 03:35:40 AM
Quote from: EpicCreeper9001 on March 05, 2016, 06:46:40 PM125. finalmode() (Dying here will lock the camera onto the room, and you can't go to other rooms from it.
using finalmode() already lock the screen
this depends on if you're using map (make and play) or not. finalmode in map doesn't teleport you to outside dimension vvvvvv because that's been removed in map.

as well, using finalmode in either version doesn't put you into a softlock - custom level saves can't store finalmode, so saveloading will return the level back to normal just fine. (rooms containing platforms or conveyors (which are a type of platform) outside dimension vvvvvv will crash the game, however)

Bruce Michez

167. A terminal that can only be activated in free-fall, especially if required to proceed.  Turns out it's impossible, and the level I'm thinking of has a different solution.