"Hidden Temple" - now version 2.2!

Started by MarsJenkar, November 10, 2011, 04:32:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarsJenkar

I've only recently gotten the game, and this level basically started off as a series of experiments.  (Most apparent in room 1,1, which is also where the theme of the map came from.)  I expanded the map based off the theme.  I didn't know how to expand the map dimensions at the time, so I ended up splitting it and using warp tokens to link the two parts together.

Anyhow, I have tested the map, and it is possible to clear.  (I do not consider myself that great a player, so I expect better/more experienced players should be able to get through okay.)  I think I've got some good ideas in this map, even if they've been done before.  As I'm new to this, though, I'm also going to guess that there's a lot of rookie mistakes in that map, and that there are some things I could have done better.  Perhaps with some critiques, I can learn from those mistakes and do better next time.

EDIT: Version 2.0 is out!  Change log below.  I've left the original for posterity's sake.

EDIT 2: Version 2.1 out!  Again, adding a change log below.  Both the original and 2.0 are left for posterity's sake.

EDIT 3: After a long hiatus, I have released a version 2.2!  Change log below.  Older versions are left for posterity's sake, but further updates may push some of them out.

Sendy

MarsJenkar

Quote from: Sendy on November 10, 2011, 03:11:05 PM
Screamshots plox?

Ask, and ye shall receive.  (EDIT: All these screenshots are from v1.0.  All these rooms have received some aesthetic changes since then, but retain the same gameplay.)

At the very beginning, you see a crew member in distress...but how to get to her?

Basically, a dodging match against spinning discs...how hard can it be?

Here's that room at (1, 1) I mentioned earlier.  It's basically there as a scripting test.

Some of you might recognize the naming scheme I'm using. ;)

Anyhow, that's just a few rooms of the map.  It's not meant to be super-difficult, although some parts can be trying.  I do recommend a playthrough.  Who knows; you might like it.  ;)

Sendy

That was good. Reasonably fun to play and bonus points for the aesthetics being presented well. The 2nd half of the final gauntlet was silly hard, compared to the rest of the level, but I managed to nail it after a few tries.

If you go on to make a larger level, I'm sure it'll be good.

PJBottomz

For your first level, this was pretty nice. I did enjoy the challenges quite a lot! I was kind of dissapointed that you didn't use Direct Mode to make some spots a little more appealing, but your asthetics (sp?) was nice. Also, I was saddened by the fact that you didn't use the colored text-box command for Victoria, but I guess since it's your first level, you didn't know what it was. I'll post them at the bottom of this post.

Please, explain how you go from "Into the..." room to, "Wait, what?!" I said the exact same thing when I randomly ended up in that room...

This is a good level! I like it! I can't wait to see your next!

Damn It AL to Hell

That's some awesome sauce stuff man, your level kicked some serious ass, 10/10.09  :viridian:  :shiny: _ :shiny:
It almost beat PJ's This is Portal, but PJ still takes the cake. Nice job,keep it  up, I hope to see more levels from you.

MarsJenkar

Quote from: PJBottomz on November 12, 2011, 12:18:04 AM
I was kind of dissapointed that you didn't use Direct Mode to make some spots a little more appealing, but your asthetics (sp?) was nice.

Hm, Direct Mode?  I may have to learn more about that....

Also, I think the word is spelled "aesthetics".  You were close, though.

Please, explain how you go from "Into the..." room to, "Wait, what?!" I said the exact same thing when I randomly ended up in that room...

Did you mean "On we go..."?  That was a simple trick.  In fact, it may be considered a bug; what happened was that there was no floor to that room, but there was a (small) ceiling in the next room.  I may update the level to prevent future patches from breaking that bit, by adding a side wall to "On we go..." to prevent people from going into the next room over (which, incidentally, would likely end in a spiky death), but opening the ceiling in "...Wait, what?" so that the player can reliably pass into that room.

If you got to the "...Wait, what?" room from a room other than that one, something is seriously wrong.

Also, I was saddened by the fact that you didn't use the colored text-box command for Victoria, but I guess since it's your first level, you didn't know what it was.

Correct.  Had I known, I'd have used it.  I may still, in an update.

This is a good level! I like it! I can't wait to see your next!

Glad to hear it!  Thanks!

PJBottomz

Yes, Direct Mode is actually very helpful! It lets you do stuff like in the main game, like combing tilesets and some other interesting stuff. I won't spoil it (cause it's more fun to find out what you can do), but to use it, press F10.

Also, here are the colored text/crewmate mood codes:

Colored Text: say(X,crewname)
"crewname" can be: Violet, Victoria, Vermilion, Verdigris, Vitellary, Viridian

Crewmate Mood Change: happy(crewname)
"crewname" can be: Violet, Victoria, Vermilion, Verdigris, Vitellary

MarsJenkar

At first, I wondered why none of your suggestions were working.

Then I remembered that the latest version was 2.1...and for some reason I still had 2.0.

Cue chuckling at myself, with a mild facepalm added.  :D :-[

Well, I've updated my version of VVVVVV, and I've now had a peek at Direct Mode.  I'm not sure how I could use it in Hidden Temple without ruining the aesthetics I've already got (except for a very few minor cases where the backing is involved), but I can definitely see how it could be useful in the future.

I'm also working on an update to the map.  I'm looking to tighten some of the scripting, remove some functions that could in the future be patched over (like the current "On we go...."/"...Wait, what?!" transition), and maybe add a proper ending.

PJBottomz

XD That's funny.

Anyway, when you do update, I'll be sure to test it.

MarsJenkar

Version 2.0 is out!  It can be found in the top post.

There were enough changes that I felt a jump in the version number was appropriate.  Here's a list of the ones I can think of:

- Made The Pit more dangerous (screen warp replaced with spikes), making The Pendulum more relevant.  The safe spot on the left is still there, though.
- Added a proper ending.
- Added and improved scripts in Temple Entrance and The Room of the Secret Password.  Victoria now speaks with her own color.
- Patch-proofed the transition from "On we go...." to "...Wait, what?!".  Also added a wall to the former.
- Changed the background colors on several rooms, including (but not limited to) The Quicksand Bog and The Jesters' Court.  The Crypt is technically the same color, but now is a different texture.
- Used Direct Mode to make some changes to the backing.  It's not as extensive as I'd like, but it still looks better.

Check it out!  (Remember, it's available in my original post.)

PJBottomz

The improvements were nice, but I felt they weren't enough. :|

You know, since this is your first level, I thought I should help you out. I went into the editor and messed around with the level to make it look and run a bit smoother. I'll give you the version that I edited.

- I still kept the warp in the Pit because it's really fun to warp infinitly.
- I used a backing trick in, "The Shrine of the Silver Monkey" to make the monkey head look better
- I redid the password system (although my version is a little bit hastily done) so that it plays a different message once you find the password.
- Other minor changes in the backing

So, there you go. I've attached it to this post.

Damn It AL to Hell

Ohh, liked your version PJ, but the originals were cool too. :shiny: _ :shiny:

PJBottomz

Quote from: Vex69 on November 13, 2011, 05:52:11 PM

Well, like I said, it's up to MarsJenkar if he wants to keep my version or not.

MarsJenkar

Quote from: PJBottomz on November 13, 2011, 06:57:30 PM
Quote from: Vex69 on November 13, 2011, 05:52:11 PM

Well, like I said, it's up to MarsJenkar if he wants to keep my version or not.

I'd love to comment...but for some reason my computer isn't processing those kinds of files properly anymore.  I've no idea why it's doing that now; it was doing fine before.  As a result, I can't download any of the level files on this board anymore.

EDIT: To clarify, when I try to click the download link, I get prompted to save or open "index.php".  Attempting to open the file brings up the very same prompt, which is very frustrating.

EDIT 2: I just cleared my cache and restarted my PC.  Still have the issue.  I'm using Mozilla Firefox 8.0.  It was NOT doing this yesterday, and I have no idea why it could be doing this now.  As it seems to affect ALL the attachments on this board, I'd love to know what's causing this, and what can be done.

EDIT 3: Finally got the darned thing to work by using Safari instead.  Apparently the PHP thing is a recurring problem with Firefox.  And one that's been around for quite some time.