VVOVOV - I made / am making a Fangame

Started by Joshua, May 15, 2017, 05:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joshua

Backstory of this Project:
About two years ago I started trying to make some games in Java.
So after a view scrapped projects, I wanted to see if I can make something like the Gravitron from VVVVVV, this Idea quickly developed into the Idea for a complete VVVVVV Fangame.
So I did the only two logical things, adding a Portal Gun, and making a rotating Version of the Gravitron without Checkpoints.
I started with this project on the 15th of June 2015, since then with some phases of me not working on this or working on something else, I've continued working on this Project.
Around January of this year I set myself the goal to finish this within two years and therefor by the 15th of June 2017.
As of now I will probably not finish it until then, but still plan on releasing this Fangame this year.
So to give myself a reason to finish VVOVOV, I decided to post about this project in this forum.

TL;DR:
I made a VVVVVV Fangame with a Portal Gun.

- = Edit(30th of October 2017) = -
There is now an early Version you can download Here!

- = Rest of the old post = -
Current Progress (15th of May 2017):
The Map is 85% Complete.
(2.5 + 0) out of (4 + 2) Minigames.
I also have not yet made a lot of terminals that will provide a backstory within the game.

Youtube Playlist on which I have been showing of my Progress every once in a while:
www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL16gMcDEY6hxqIHWBcWImHpDHTvzXCHL1

PS: Just point out grammar errors, that should be the most helpful thing for everyone!

lol...ipops2

>sideways walking
do you even viv
EDIT: saw your first 20 seconds of your first video, and flipping sideways is awesome and a great mechanic

Joshua

Quote from: LeLolofPopses on May 15, 2017, 06:56:24 PM
>sideways walking
do you even viv
EDIT: saw your first 20 seconds of your first video, and flipping sideways is awesome and a great mechanic
Thanks!
This mechanic seemed to be the most logical way to handle, the player going through a portal.

moth 🦋

This is so neat! Very unique concept. We havent had a fangame here in a loooooong time

I'll play it when I get home :)

Joshua

Quote from: shiny k on May 15, 2017, 07:34:40 PM
This is so neat! Very unique concept. We havent had a fangame here in a loooooong time
Thanks!  :)

Sorry, but unless you are on a trip around the world for a few more months ,I have to dissapoint you, this is not yet out.

moth 🦋

Quote from: Trdjn on May 15, 2017, 07:42:55 PM
Sorry, but unless you are on a trip around the world for a few more months ,I have to dissapoint you, this is not yet out.
Whoops I misread lol

Woa this is soooo cooooool

Like wow

Holy crap

Woa

I don't even know what to say lol

lol...ipops2

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
we need a double ^

Viridan

this is amazing.
one nitpick though: you're using the "wide legs" sprite when you should be using the "closed legs" sprite. when the character is standing still, their legs should be closed, and they should be open while they're in midair.

lol...ipops2

Quote from: StillSpelledViridan on May 15, 2017, 09:41:04 PM
this is amazing.
one nitpick though: you're using the "wide legs" sprite when you should be using the "closed legs" sprite. when the character is standing still, their legs should be closed, and they should be open while they're in midair.
and when they're walking the should circulate between them

Joshua

Quote from: LeLolofPopses on May 15, 2017, 10:14:40 PM
Quote from: StillSpelledViridan on May 15, 2017, 09:41:04 PM
this is amazing.
and when they're walking the should circulate between them

setStayCycle(1); //Changed
setMoveCycle(0, 1);
setFallCycle(0);
setFallMoveCycle(0, 1);
setDeathCycle(2);
animationSpeed = 14; //280ms

0 being the "wide legs"-state,
1 being the "closed legs"-state,
2 being the "death"-state.

Ally 🌠

It looks really cool, I'm excited for the release.

Gawne

These pictures look very promising, also that portal mechanic is something that I'm REALLY looking forward to. It must've taken a lot of love and determination to make a game to this point, keep at it and welcome to the forums!

allison

This looks really cool! I tried working on a VVVVVV fangame a couple years ago but wasn't determined enough to finish it.

uugr

This looks amazing!! Looking forward to it. Is there a particular reason for the orange player character?