Not working on MacOS High Sierra?

Started by immediateink, September 01, 2020, 02:53:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

immediateink

Not sure if this is a stupid question.

I purchased the game in 2015 in App Store, finished the game and between the years I've formatted my MacBook and lost my original save.

Recently, I've re-downloaded the game from App Store again but there was a message showing that the game is not optimised in my version of OS and also I tried playing it, but can't get beyond the title screen.

Is the app store version of the game no longer working on newer versions of OS (such as High Sierra)?

Info Teddy

hard to tell with apple - they really like deprecating things. the last 2.2 build of the game was in 2016, which is a long time ago

you might want to try 2.3 (compiling from source). if you cant or dont want to compile, tell me and ill dm you a macos build of the game

Dav999

Quote from: Info Teddy on September 05, 2020, 10:47:01 PM
the last 2.2 build of the game was in 2016, which is a long time ago
I can't really tell from the online App Store page, but it might be that the App Store version is still 1.2? I know 2.0 wasn't accepted by Apple because the level editor didn't allow the user to choose where to save levels or something, I don't know if that was ever actually resolved.

Info Teddy

you're right - the app store version is the original flash version 1.2!

that makes this warning message (and the associated can't-get-past-title-screen behavior) even stranger (or worse), then - the problem is most likely with the thing that runs flash, not the game itself

immediateink

I've tried installing an older version of Adobe Flash, but still no luck on the game, my suspicion is that the Flash doesn't run on my mac properly? Thus the game is stuck at the intro page.

Dav999

I would personally just get my hands on 2.2 or 2.3. From 2.0 onward (released in 2011) VVVVVV hasn't relied on Adobe Flash and has a level editor, for which people are still creating levels. As far as I'm aware, the Mac App Store is basically the only place on desktop where the 1.2 version is still offered.

One note though, the latest officially released version is 2.2, Terry would probably give you access to that given you bought the App Store version. 2.3 is expected to come out in a couple of weeks. The source code was (officially) made public at the start of this year though, and anyone with a little bit of know-how can create an executable of the current development version at any time.

For completeness, there's also a completely free version of 2.2 which only has the level editor and not the main game. If you're interested in a state of the art 2.3, you'd need the graphics and music assets from that version (or from a full 2.2) in order to get it working, since the assets aren't allowed to be freely distributed. But that process is pretty simple.