A VVVVVV wiki and fansite

Started by TheDevilTesla, March 20, 2010, 08:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James

Quote from: Bloodshadow on April 05, 2010, 05:55:48 AM
The occupations of the crew members are listed after you complete the game.

Aha, thanks. Right you are. Don't know how I missed that!

Bloodshadow

[spoiler]
Now just add the white uber-combined guy, whose name is Vanilla :D
[/spoiler]

Terry

Excellent! Let's see if I can help answer a few of these :)

Quote from: James on April 04, 2010, 10:04:33 PM
1. Is Viridian male? All the other characters are referred to as "he" or "she" in the dialog, but I can't find any explicit reference to Viridian's gender. When Verdigris confesses to Viridian that he like Violet he does it in a way that to me implies they are both male, but this the best indication I can see.

Actually, I deliberately didn't specify that anywhere in the game. :viridian:

2. Can you tell us anything about the polar dimension? For example, does it have a layout? How big is it? Where are the intermission levels relative to the final level? If you take a look at the Wiki you'll see that I've tried to construct some "level maps" for the levels in the polar dimension. Do these look reasonable to you?

I had a look; the maps seem fine :)

Trivia: In terms of internal game geometry, the Gravitron is located just to the left of the exit to the final level, and the first intermission level starts one room below the final level opening room!

3. There seem to be two different types of teleporters in the game: the large circular "universal" teleporters that can send you to any other one, and the smaller concentric squares that send you to only a single destination (or the big one to the secret lab). Is there a name for these different types of teleporters?

I call the small square ones "warp tokens", but I don't think I actually call them anything officially in the game.

4. On the page for the tower I mention "The background in "Teleporter Divot" is similar to the background in "Welcome Aboard", the first room of the game, where Captain Viridian was teleported to before the crash. This has lead to speculation that Vermillion was initially teleported to this location when the ship crashed, and then managed to make it up the tower to the teleporter before Captain Viridian was able to locate him." Care to confirm or deny this? What are the teleporter divots? Do they appear anywhere else in the game?

Exactly! Anywhere you see that pattern is supposed to show you where a crew member landed after the opening cutscene.

5. I've tried to work out some information about the crew, especially their occupations, but some things are implied but are not explicitly stated. Here's the best I can figure, with my speculations in [brackets]:
Viridian - Captain [Male]
Verdigris - [Engineer?] Male
Vermillion - [Security?] Male
Vitellary - Professor Male
Victoria - Doctor Female
Violet - Doctor Female

Bloodshadow has the answers here :)

Is it possible to send us all the dialogue from the game? It could reveal some more factoids for the wiki!

Sure, ok :) It's not really in a very accessible format right now, though. I'm actually thinking about making a big v1.3 patch with support for different languages eventually, which means recoding the menu logic and some other stuff, but would result in me having all the game's text in one handy file. I'll definitely post the script at that point!

James

Quote from: Terry on April 05, 2010, 05:11:36 PM
Actually, I deliberately didn't specify that anywhere in the game.

A wise choice I think. I've gone and removed all referenced to Viridian's gender from the Wiki. It's more difficult than you may think actually...our language was really not designed to make it easy to talk about someone without specifying their gender. Passive voice to the rescue! :)

I assembled the Polar Dimension level maps to make a map of the dimension (on The Polar Dimension page). Let me know if I've got everything in the right place.

Glad to know I was right about the Teleporter Divots. Do they appear elsewhere? I can't remember seeing any others...but I haven't searched that hard.

James

I may have just found the answer to my own question. I was looking at kyledog's wonderful level maps, and I think I located a few more. There seems to be one in "Parabolica", and one in "I Smell Ozone". Is that one in "It's Not Easy Being Green"? Along with "Teleporter Divot" and "Welcome Aboard" that makes five. I guess Violet never teleported off the ship at all, so five makes sense. Is this right?

Oh yeah, one more thing. Any significance to the sad elephant?

Josiah Tobin

Excellent! Let's see if I can help answer a few of these :)

1. Is Viridian male? All the other characters are referred to as "he" or "she" in the dialog, but I can't find any explicit reference to Viridian's gender. When Verdigris confesses to Viridian that he like Violet he does it in a way that to me implies they are both male, but this the best indication I can see.

I really like this! I think I noticed the lack of gender reference in the game, but it was very subtle. Nicely done, Terry! I always like that kind of ambiguity, whatever the reason, when I see it. :)

~Josiah

StephenM3

4. On the page for the tower I mention "The background in "Teleporter Divot" is similar to the background in "Welcome Aboard", the first room of the game, where Captain Viridian was teleported to before the crash. This has lead to speculation that Vermillion was initially teleported to this location when the ship crashed, and then managed to make it up the tower to the teleporter before Captain Viridian was able to locate him." Care to confirm or deny this? What are the teleporter divots? Do they appear anywhere else in the game?

Exactly! Anywhere you see that pattern is supposed to show you where a crew member landed after the opening cutscene.
That is really cool!  It really makes me wish I'd noticed this.  Now I'm going around finding these.  It... it looks like Vitellary was teleported into a wall?

I kinda, vaguely noticed as I played how every other character was 'trapped' so that they cannot backtrack through the level.  For some reason this is even clearer now that I can imagine the course they took through the world before becoming stuck!

The Brass

You might have, but Bennett didn't! They call him Flipper, saying that kids his age bounce!

James

Quote from: The Brass on April 07, 2010, 06:21:20 AMYou might have, but Bennett didn't! They call him Flipper, saying that kids his age bounce!

That's well spotted, but I don't think we can assume those room names are necessarily meant to refer to Viridian. Most of the room names are just idioms and phrases, and don't necessarily refer to the characters in the game.

StephenM3

In any case, you're not going to be able to avoid the majority of players (or at least fanartists) assuming v is male.  If it's open so that people can say v's female, that's a worthy and pretty cool thing!

SoulEye

Viridian is male. He bought his big ol' spaceship during his 40 year crisis! When not flying spaceships, he goes kegging, works out a lot, and watches UFC fights. True story!

James

Okay, now I've got one more question for everyone (especially Terry). About those things in The Laboratory...originally in the Wiki I called them "flipping beams", before changing them to "reversing beams". On the General Mechanics page TheDevilTesla referred to them as "Bounce lines", in the game thay're referred to in a terminal message as  "Inversion Planes" and on this forum I've seen Terry refers to them as "gravity lines". So, I need to know...what are they officially called?

SoulEye

"Gravity Beams" rolls off the toungue quite nicely.

StephenM3

Anything but "rubber bands" or "bouncy things."  The inclusion of the word "beam" is a plus.

You know what's cool?  The terminal seems to imply that when you cross one of those lines, you're actually entering a universe identical in every way to the one you just left, except for flipped vertically.  If I'm understanding that correctly, it is so cool.

SoulEye

Yeah. We thought we'd make it easier on the eyes by flipping Viridian instead of going into flip mode every time you bounce.   :-*