Unlocking unlockables

Started by emol, January 11, 2010, 10:22:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

emol

Is it ok that the unlockables could be unlocked just choosing an option in the menu?
I think that things unlocks when you achieve something in your playthrough... and I would like to unlock that things by the "right side" (u know, collecting comething, finishing the adventure, whatever-else)... But now, there's no way to know if I unlocked it (well, that's what seems to me).
Could you send some light about this topic, Terry?

William

I don't understand the "unlockables" section too...
Can we have some hints ?

StephenM3

You're supposed to leave the "unlock play modes" option alone completely, and just play through the game.  The stuff like "time trials," "secret lab," and "flipped mode" are all inaccessible when you first start playing -- if you tried, you couldn't use those things (they're found under the "Play" menu after you've saved at least once).  But after you unlock them by doing the things you're supposed to do, you would suddenly be able to access them again.

You can use the "unlock play modes" option if you're completely giving up on the full game, but you still want to check those things out.  It's kind of like cheat codes, except they're not hidden.

The things you have to do to unlock things are pretty big things
TIME TRIALS -- If you beat a level, you unlock its time trial
INTERMISSIONS -- If you beat an intermission, you unlock it for replaying
NO DEATH MODE -- Score at least an "S" rank in at least 4 time trials
FLIP MODE -- Beat the main game

Hope I answered your questions!

emol

Cool, that's what I wanted to know. So bad that it can't be "locked" again to unlock them as a real gamer :(

William

Gosh, I'm really disappointed.
I was just hanging around through the options and unlocked everything just to "try". And now you are saying that I just completely changed part of my game experience only because of that.
Decisions made to fit with the more casual gamers will kill me one day.
I will not start the game again now that I've completed the Do thing the hard way...

DeceasedCrab

Quote from: William on January 11, 2010, 07:56:20 PM
Gosh, I'm really disappointed.
I was just hanging around through the options and unlocked everything just to "try". And now you are saying that I just completely changed part of my game experience only because of that.
Decisions made to fit with the more casual gamers will kill me one day.
I will not start the game again now that I've completed the Do thing the hard way...

You could always, I don't know, clear your save data and start again? It won't take you that long.

William

Of course, of course.
But I really don't understand why this option is so accessible so you can destroy part of the game experience only by hanging around in a game menu.

This game is quite difficult, doesn't he ? And it's quite made for players that want to accomplish something. So making this option so accessible, with very few warnings, is really strange.
As a designer, I prefer make well balanced games with a great experience for everyone and a good unlockable experience for super powa players than just offering the player to destroy a a part of the game itself, only by cliking on an option. It's exactly the same thing than that sad "luigi will play for you" option in New Super Mario Bros Wii. So bad...

Terry

It didn't actually occur to me that people might want to relock stuff they've unlocked! I'll make a note to add that to the first patch.

Don't worry if you've unlocked stuff though, you haven't spoiled anything on yourself :)

William

And/or ask for a confirmation when the player tries to unlock stuff.

StephenM3

Just don't use the "unlocked" stuff until you've gotten to that point in the game.  Nothing is changed about the normal game experience, don't worry.

William

We can't take advices posted on a forum far far away (not for me but for a lot of other players) like a solution. So I hope you could fix this Terry, if you think it's important.
Well, I had already erased my saved data so it's too late for me. That's life :)

BlueSkies

I did the same thing, I was exploring the menus and just unlocked everything not really knowing what I was doing.

Thanks for posting those conditions StephenM3. I'm going to avoid using the new modes and stuff before I fulfill those. Are there any others I should know about? I'd quite like a list of the order in which in-game jukebox music is unlocked, along with the required number of trinkets too, if anyone can volunteer the information.

William

Well, "Doing things the hard way" wasn't too difficult the second time ;)
I finished the game and unlocked quite everything. Without the unlockable system, it would have been a little bit less "great" so hope you'll fix this Terry.
Anyway, that's such a great game !

Damn It AL to Hell

The Lab was a pain in the rump to unlock, but I didn't have to use unlock menu for that, but some time trials needed it though.