Wouldn't it be cool if each member of the crew has a separate special power?

Started by Bloodshadow, January 21, 2010, 05:11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bloodshadow

I'm not sure if this is in the right forum, but I don't see a forum for future game suggestions...

This idea could be used in the possible sequels of VVVVVV. Right now, Viridian is the only member of the crew with a special power. However, the game will be much more interesting if each of the crew member had a separate special power! All their powers should be based around physics manipulation, to fit the theme of the game.

Viridian: Obviously, Viridian's special power is the ability to invert gravity when he is touching the floor. He can change the direction of gravity from down to up and back. Viridian is unable to jump, but all other crew members can jump.

Victoria: Her ability could also be based around gravity, but in a different way. She can rotate the screen 90 degrees clockwise or counterclockwise when she is touching the floor; however, the direction of gravity for Victoria is always down. Unlike Viridian, Victoria can jump.

Vitellary: Professor Vitellary can "shift into other phases" by travelling in the 4th dimension. When in another phase, some objects become intangible but some other objects become tangible. Vitellary can shift any time, including when he is jumping in mid-air. However, if he shifts on a spot, and in the other phase on that same spot there is a solid object, Vitellary will be stuck inside the solid object and die. This idea is taken from the Flash game "Time Cfuk" by Edmund.

Violet: Violet can travel backward in time to the last checkpoint she reached, and interact with her past incarnations. When she does a series of actions, then travel back in time, she will see her past selves performing the same actions she did before she travelled back in time. She can touch her past selves: for example, she can stack multiple past selves into a ladder to reach a high platform. This idea is taken from "Chronotron" and "The Company of Myself", both Flash games.

I can't think of any more cool physics-based abilities, so the next two are just there to fill space. If you have better ideas, please post them.

Verdigris: Verdigris has the ability of the double jump. While this may sound simple, it is actually complicated: he can ignore gravity to a certain degree, and he can amplify the action-reaction forces while he is jumping, so that he can jump again in midair. However, this ability takes a heavy toll on him, so he cannot perform triple jumps.

Vermillion: You thought the moving enemies on screen were indestructible, did you? Not anymore. With Vermillion's new ability, you can now kill the enemies! Normally when Vermillion is touched by an enemy, he will die and respawn. However, Vermillion can reverse the time on himself, and transfer the event happened on himself to the enemy that inflicted it. This will kill the enemy and cause it to respawn, reverting it to its original position when Vermillion first entered the screen (this even work on spikes). However, Vermillion can do this only once, until he reaches the next checkpoint. Basically, this ability gives him one extra life.

In the final level of the game, all the crew members could give their powers to Viridian, enabling him to use all their powers at once! This will probably lead to some crazily convoluted levels... (flip, phase shift, tilt screen, double jump, time travel, die once...)

So what do you guys think? Is this a good idea or not? If you have better ideas on cool physics-based powers, please post them.
Maybe one power could be somehow based on wormholes and teleportation, but I can't think right now...

SoulEye

Very creative! I think Terry could do some MONSTROUS puzzle levels with these abilities.

nathanel

Great ideas! Though I'm not sure if Terry is planning a sequel, but still, it's a ton of great ideas for new games.

BTW anyone remembers a rather old Amiga game Fury of the Furries? You could switch between characters with special abilities in game. Apart from being a pretty hard (in an entertaining way) platformer, it had some incredible puzzles...

The Brass

So far so good, but Viridian can jump. The dimension just doesn't have any gravity, so he will continue falling up until he hits something to stop his fall.

Terry

Hah! Well, I don't ever plan to make a sequel to VVVVVV, and if I did, I don't think I'd go in that direction.

One of my IGF judges suggested I do the same thing as you, actually - unlock new abilities as you rescue each character so you can reach new areas and blah blah blah and so on. It annoyed me a little, because I felt like he was judging it as the game he felt it should be, rather than what I had made. He basically wanted me to turn it into a regular metroidvania, even though the game is specifically designed not to be one.

That said, something like what you're describing could probably be a lot of fun. It's just not really compatible with what I wanted to do with VVVVVV.

StephenM3

I'm glad this wasn't muddled with extra mechanics.  A large part of what made this fun is the single-mechanic-focused design.  That's why Driller feels impossible the first time you encounter it, but is a peice of cake if you return after beating the game:  you're actually developing and improving a skill.

Bloodshadow

Wow, both SoulEye and Terry posted on this topic.

I understand that those abilities may not go well with the game, or its sequel. That's fine. However, just for fun, I do want to make up some unique special abilities for each crew member, because I felt that it was unfair that Viridian was the only person with a special ability.

Anyone has any suggestions for better abilities belonging to Verdigris and Vermillion?

Mercen4ry

Quote from: Terry on January 21, 2010, 11:50:00 AM
Hah! Well, I don't ever plan to make a sequel to VVVVVV, and if I did, I don't think I'd go in that direction.

One of my IGF judges suggested I do the same thing as you, actually - unlock new abilities as you rescue each character so you can reach new areas and blah blah blah and so on. It annoyed me a little, because I felt like he was judging it as the game he felt it should be, rather than what I had made. He basically wanted me to turn it into a regular metroidvania, even though the game is specifically designed not to be one.

That said, something like what you're describing could probably be a lot of fun. It's just not really compatible with what I wanted to do with VVVVVV.

I would recommend, however, that you consider letting us play as every member of the crew with different dialog trees.

It might not be special powers, but it wouldn't be as hard to implement and offer some handy replay value. ;)

nathanel

BTW the other guys CAN indeed stand on the ceiling, as seen in the Ship and in the Secret Lab. Maybe except for green dudes? ;) I don't remember.

Sakura-Sun

Quote from: nathanel on January 22, 2010, 10:37:26 AM
BTW the other guys CAN indeed stand on the ceiling, as seen in the Ship and in the Secret Lab. Maybe except for green dudes? ;) I don't remember.
No you are right. I haven't seen Verdigris stand on the ceiling before. Neither on the ship or in the secret lab.

Shasharala

There's a room called something like "Green dudes can't flip" or something to that extent anyway.

Bloodshadow

Well... After that cutscene in the secret lab, I began to think that ALL of the crew members can flip. I think two of them flipped to the ceiling after they de-combined at the secret lab.

Well then... In the sequel I hope for co-op. With co-op to up to six characters, Terry can still build monstrous puzzles. Maybe a gigantic room the size of several rooms?

Shasharala

If I remember correctly Terry said he probably would not be making another game of this design...
But you never know!  :)

Scutilla

Quote from: Mercen4ry on January 22, 2010, 07:36:30 AMI would recommend, however, that you consider letting us play as every member of the crew with different dialog trees.

It might not be special powers, but it wouldn't be as hard to implement and offer some handy replay value. ;)
I had this idea as well.  Asking for five additional dialogue trees might be a little much, but adding the ability to swap characters after you beat the game would be a nice touch.

Tukkun

Terry broke his own rules of "Green Dudes Can't Flip". How can green get to the teleporter to the secret lab if he can't flip?