What game(s) are you guys developing?

Started by Gawne, August 03, 2017, 10:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawne

These forums seem to have quite a few game developers, whether there professional or not is irreverent, but still. What games are you guys developing or thinking about developing? What programs do you use? Do you use coding languages or are you like me and don't bother with that stuff? I wanna make this topic so that we can learn stuff from each other and perhaps get some more people in the game developing crowd :)

For those who are curious, I'm currently using GameMaker Studio 2 as my platform to build my game; I use Aesprite and Photoshop for sprites, animations, and text; I also use FL Studio 12 to make all of the sound effects along with the (soon to be) OST. My game is based off of a adventure game that I made as a kid completely made on graph paper while I was bored in math class. The game isn't like other adventure games though, it's kinda like a rehash of animal crossing and FEZ where nothing is out to get you, but there's still a lot of collectibles to get and a lot side quests to do, I'm using reductive-style graphics (similar to LOVE and kinda like Undertale) due to my lacking of art skills and I plan to finish (if not get a fair chunk of it done on the side) throughout my college years, and maybe... just maybe I'll get it on Steam, but that's a bit ambitious of me and I really shouldn't be thinking that far ahead anyway :P

Ive been thinking about developing a game in rpg maker 2003, but i dont know if ill ever find the motivation to make it. Im really really bad at art and ive never developed a game before so i fear it wont turn out well. Plus i dont know if the concept i have in mind would even work in rpg maker. So rip my dumb ideas lol

May i ask how complete your game is at the moment?

moth 🦋

me and my friends have made a lot of unfinished games and most of them are dead but the one im currently working on is a game called homeward if you wanna know more dm me on discord or something lol

i don't use this site anymore, please don't look at my posts

allison

currently working on a silly ZZT clone called ZAP

If you liked Quality Television, you might like this too.

(definitely want to visually distinguish it from ZZT more in the future, particularly the sidebar)

Emmy

Not 100% sure if you'd count this in the same category, but I made the Monster Tactics mod for FFT.  http://ngplus.net/index.php?/files/file/19-monster-tactics/

Ally 🌠

Quote from: Gawne on August 03, 2017, 10:17:47 PM
These forums seem to have quite a few game developers
ye thats true
Quote from: Gawne on August 03, 2017, 10:17:47 PMwhether there professional or not is irreverent, but still.
w-wait what
What games are you guys developing or thinking about developing?
Well, I'm working on a game called Nytrilix.

What programs do you use?
I've been using Gamemaker: Studio pro.
Do you use coding languages
Yeah, since if you don't
leave

Quote from: Gawne on August 03, 2017, 10:17:47 PM or are you like me and don't bother with that stuff
scraTCH
I wanna make this topic so that we can learn stuff from each other and perhaps get some more people in the game developing crowd :)
w-well you already *did* make this topic
For those who are curious, I'm currently using GameMaker Studio 2 as my platform to build my game
GameMaker 2 isn't that good tbh.
I use Aesprite and Photoshop for sprites, animations, and text; I also use FL Studio 12 to make all of the sound effects along with the (soon to be) OST. My game is based off of a adventure game that I made as a kid completely made on graph paper while I was bored in math class. The game isn't like other adventure games though, it's kinda like a rehash of animal crossing and FEZ where nothing is out to get you, but there's still a lot of collectibles to get and a lot side quests to do, I'm using reductive-style graphics (similar to LOVE and kinda like Undertale) due to my lacking of art skills and I plan to finish (if not get a fair chunk of it done on the side) throughout my college years
wew, seems really nice
and maybe... just maybe I'll get it on Steam, but that's a bit ambitious of me and I really shouldn't be thinking that far ahead anyway :P
might be a little hard tbh

Quote from: crazya on August 04, 2017, 03:54:17 AM
If you liked Quality Television, you might like this too.
yes
cant wait
except i probably could because i have terrible memory so i probably wont remember this exists

i don't use this site anymore, please don't look at my posts

For those who are curious, I'm currently using GameMaker Studio 2 as my platform to build my game; I use Aesprite and Photoshop for sprites, animations, and text; I also use FL Studio 12 to make all of the sound effects along with the (soon to be) OST. My game is based off of a adventure game that I made as a kid completely made on graph paper while I was bored in math class. The game isn't like other adventure games though, it's kinda like a rehash of animal crossing and FEZ where nothing is out to get you, but there's still a lot of collectibles to get and a lot side quests to do, I'm using reductive-style graphics (similar to LOVE and kinda like Undertale) due to my lacking of art skills and I plan to finish (if not get a fair chunk of it done on the side) throughout my college years, and maybe... just maybe I'll get it on Steam, but that's a bit ambitious of me and I really shouldn't be thinking that far ahead anyway :P

>currently using gamemaker studio 2
yeah imo gms2 isn't that good, but whatever floats your boat lmao

>"What programs do you use?"
I use RPG Maker 2000 mostly, but 2003 is good too. Sometimes I use GameMaker Studio 1.4.

>"Do you use coding languages"
Whenever I use RPG Maker XP or VX Ace, I usually tweak the RGSS code engine a bit, yes.

>"I use Aseprite and Photoshop"
Those are two really good programs. Personally, I use paint.net (and when I'm really desperate and can't use paint.net, i use MS Paint, but shhh) and it works good for me.

>"Maybe I'll get it on Steam"
Point of advice: Don't think too far ahead. Just focus on MAKING your game first. That's the fun part. When it's done, then you can think about getting it on Steam.

anyway, here's another screenshot lol

(shiny did the face art, he's really good at that)

Gawne

QuoteMay i ask how complete your game is at the moment?

It's going better than expected, to be honest. I just finished up the character's walk cycle and it look pretty good (to my standards anyway). I also finished the starting room which really does resemble the game that I made back when I was a kid, I wish I still had that old graphing notebook... Now all there is left to do is make the other 99 rooms xD

Edit 1: Here's some pics:
Totally Awesome Main Menu: http://imgur.com/n5nTM47
Totally Awesome Starting Room: http://imgur.com/RAXA5jG
^ This is some ground-breaking graphics, guys*

*Sarcasm, in case it was too hard to tell

QuoteGameMaker 2 isn't that good tbh.

To be honest, I think it's just a matter of opinion. I used GM:S 1.X for a solid three years prior to getting GMS 2 and let me just say I enjoy doing a lot of stuff I couldn't intentionally do, like assigning sprites to tile sheets and converting drag and drop to GMS, but hey like I said it's just a matter of what you prefer. There both great platforms to build your games on.

QuoteYeah, since if you don't
leave

Well, I was more referring to GMS since it's not a traditional coding language like how C# and Java is. I do use it though, but along side with the DnD side of GMS 2 'cause the wizard himself Shawn Spalding is still teaching me the ways of the scripting system.

uugr

I don't really know if this counts, but I made a shitty puzzle game in GameMaker 8.1 (shut up it was all i had around) which is technically still 'in progress'. It's taught me a valuable lesson, though: don't try to put a level editor in the first game you make. That is waaaaay above my skill level.

Right now I'm trying to learn how to Do A Musics Better with FamiTracker, since the soundtrack for the aforementioned puzzle game was, uh... not the best. I can't draw either, so that's another learning curve I have to go through at some point. So far I've literally been using the fill tool, with primary colors, on empty squares in the default sprite editor. The end result looks like this:

http://i.imgur.com/gs5pvWx.png (shut up about the lite logo i don't even think buying a full version of 8.1 is even possible at this point)

Yyyyyeah. Sorry about searing your retinas there. I think I may start another, less bad looking/sounding (hopefully) game once I actually learn something that at least vaguely approximates drawing/composing. In something that doesn't have a constant watermark, probably.

also everyone else's stuff looks cool

Gawne

I didn't even know that there was a GameMaker 8.1...

Bruce Michez

I am currently making an RPG about the undead.  It has a dark plot exploring the implications of the concept of undeath. 

The feature I'm currently most proud of, though, is the complex, classical-style OST - don't expect a pop song in the ending.  Actually, one major plot point is inspired by Elgar's The Dream of Gerontius.

allison

Quote from: Weird Shadow Machine on August 04, 2017, 09:21:40 PM
I am currently making an RPG about the undead.  It has a dark plot exploring the implications of the concept of undeath. 

The feature I'm currently most proud of, though, is the complex, classical-style OST - don't expect a pop song in the ending.  Actually, one major plot point is inspired by Elgar's The Dream of Gerontius.
every time you post something it sounds totally awesome, i'm mad

Gawne

Quoteevery time you post something it sounds totally awesome, i'm mad

I really like how you're game is coming along ^u^ Keep at it! Looks like a game that I would legitimately play.

Coralbits

I know its not a game, but I'm currently working on a level :^> its goin to be amazing