The Open Level (Nearing completion!)

Started by ToasterApocalypse, February 16, 2013, 05:02:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dav999

Quote from: FIQ on February 16, 2013, 07:43:29 PM
Keep in mind that 2.0 cannot use Direct Mode and will screw up rooms designed with it. Either force people that edit to have 2.1, or do not use direct mode.

I mentioned that before... (EDIT: In a PM, so you couldn't have known)

Where will the level be hosted btw?

Dropbox! :vermillion: Just because a lot of people don't know how to use it!

(No, when it's finished, it's likely to be hosted on the forum or on Mediafire)

And anyone who wants to participate can send ToasterApocalypse, Doormat or me (or all 3) a PM, then we know that you want to participate and you'll also get the level as it progresses, to edit it :viridian:

SomniRespiratory Flux

Well, I have 2.1, but A) I can't speak for everyone else, and B) like I said, I don't know how to use Direct Mode. I've searched the forums for any sort of tutorial or whatever, but I can't find one. All I know is that F10 turns it on, but beyond that nothing makes sense to me. But as I also said, if I do work on this level, it wouldn't be involving much DM usage on my part.

And honestly I should be working on my own level that I've been planning. But when I came back to college after the break, guess where I left my plans for the level? ::) I didn't have MUCH written down and not applied, but it's enough to make me want them back at some point. But I suppose not having those details (which shouldn't be too hard to remember anyway) could force me to actually consider the level design somewhat. I'll work on that a bit later this evening actually. Maybe I'll make some progress. But who knows? :viridian:

Fussmatte

Quote from: SomniRespiratory Flux on February 16, 2013, 07:57:58 PM
Well, I have 2.1, but A) I can't speak for everyone else, and B) like I said, I don't know how to use Direct Mode. I've searched the forums for any sort of tutorial or whatever, but I can't find one. All I know is that F10 turns it on, but beyond that nothing makes sense to me. But as I also said, if I do work on this level, it wouldn't be involving much DM usage on my part.

And honestly I should be working on my own level that I've been planning. But when I came back to college after the break, guess where I left my plans for the level? ::) I didn't have MUCH written down and not applied, but it's enough to make me want them back at some point. But I suppose not having those details (which shouldn't be too hard to remember anyway) could force me to actually consider the level design somewhat. I'll work on that a bit later this evening actually. Maybe I'll make some progress. But who knows? :viridian:

HOW TO USE DIRECT MODE:
Push F10 to turn on Direct Mode. Hold down Ctrl and a thing will appear. Use the arrow keys to select a tile. Let go of Ctrl and use 1 - Walls to place that tile. The end

FIQ

No worries, no problem if you can't use direct mode, as long as you have 2.1, you'll not screw up the Direct Mode edited parts.

My point was, where is it going to be hosted so people can edit it properly.

ToasterApocalypse

Quote from: FIQ on February 16, 2013, 08:07:46 PM
No worries, no problem if you can't use direct mode, as long as you have 2.1, you'll not screw up the Direct Mode edited parts.

Right now, we're in Derpfish's VVVVVV drawing room.

py-bot.com/flockmod.swf
room: vvvvvv

Dav999

Quote from: FIQ on February 16, 2013, 08:07:46 PM

We send PM's with Mediafire links.

SomniRespiratory Flux

Quote from: Doormat on February 16, 2013, 08:01:22 PM
Quote from: SomniRespiratory Flux on February 16, 2013, 07:57:58 PM

HOW TO USE DIRECT MODE:
Push F10 to turn on Direct Mode. Hold down Ctrl and a thing will appear. Use the arrow keys to select a tile. Let go of Ctrl and use 1 - Walls to place that tile. The end

Oh. Dang. I feel stupid now. Never thought to use Ctrl for anything. Therefore, never saw the whole input menu. Oops. :-[
And I'm sorry if I'm confusing anyone with my posts. I don't think I'll be doing much with this level. Except maybe playtesting it. I'm probably going to spend most if not all of my level-editor time on my own level. Especially now that I've figured out how to hold down a single button. Seriously, this will make things so much easier. Or distract me with so much more to choose from. ::) I'll figure that out soon enough.

ToasterApocalypse

We'll probably look for playtesters as development continues. But right now, there's barely any content to test.

The level is looking nice so far, one level completed as of 16/2/13 (2/16/13 for MM/DD/YY)

allison

How will the process of selecting who works on what work?

My only request...
Do not use direct mode.

Chillius

Dav999

Quote from: crazyal02 on February 17, 2013, 12:31:44 AM
How will the process of selecting who works on what work?

For everyone's information, everything is going on in PMs and in the drawing room, not in this thread, so whoever wants to join can just send one of us a PM, or go to the drawing room to tell Toaster, Doormat, FIQ and/or me, as long as one of us is online there. :)

Hilbert

Is direct mode ok if you use the normal tiles instead of the special tiles? (Like corner tiles to fix a wall that looks messed?) Would it change?

Dav999

Quote from: RoskillaHULK!! on February 17, 2013, 09:17:41 PM
Is direct mode ok if you use the normal tiles instead of the special tiles? (Like corner tiles to fix a wall that looks messed?) Would it change?

I think every direct mode thing is going to get messed up in 2.0. We agreed to only use direct mode for the last bit.

Oh, and maybe direct mode can be used, but it should be clearly stated as roomtext in all adjacent rooms that 2.0 users should not go to the room above/below/to the left/right. Because 2.0 only messes up rooms you actually visit with the editor.

FIQ

Don't you have to interact with the room (not just go through it) to break it?

Dav999

Quote from: FIQ on February 17, 2013, 09:53:43 PM
Don't you have to interact with the room (not just go through it) to break it?

I think 2.0 breaks rooms if you visit them, but say (1,1) is a non-direct mode room and (2,1) is a direct mode room, the starting point is in (1,1) and you open the level in the level editor in 2.0. Then you start playtesting in room (1,1), and walk to (2,1). Nothing gets messed up if you do it like that, but if you'd press right in editing mode to go to (2,1), VVVVVV 2.0 immediately messes up all direct mode editing in that room.

In any case, (1,1) shouldn't be edited with direct mode at all if it's going to be done in the meantime, because that's the absolute starting point for the editor.