My Last Level: Dimension Funland (V 1.2)

Started by Flushex, December 06, 2012, 05:55:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flushex

Dimension Funland

This will be the last level I create, so I hope people enjoy it.

Length: Same as my other two levels, so short to medium length.
Difficulty: Medium
Beta Difficulty: Hard

You have to rescue  :verdigris: and   :violet:

There are 8 's

Please play it and post feedback. There shouldn't be too many bugs, but let me know if you notice any.
Here are some screenshots (from beta), enjoy!:

Dimension Funland (New Version)
Version 1.0: (Downloaded 4 times)
Version 1.1: Made a lot of tweaks based on feedback (all to the effect of making things less frustrating). Added a "riddle" to a certain room to (hopefully) make the room easier. Took out a bunch of unnecessary spikes. Took out a some enemies on various rooms to make things easier.  Labeled the two routes "A" and "B" to show the recommended order. Route B is still much more untested, and may need tweaks. (Downloaded 10 times)
Version 1.2: Made YMBTTTE easier based on various suggestions by removing some enemies. Also removed enemies from Ring Toss to make it easier, and removed an exploit from Alien Encounter.

Dimension Funland Beta (Hard Mode):
Version 1.0: (Downloaded 5 times)
Version 1.1: Made a couple of tweaks, fixed a wall glitch (downloaded 13 times)
Version 1.2: Renamed it to Beta version, because it is much less polished now than the newest version.

ToasterApocalypse

Quote from: Flushex on December 06, 2012, 05:55:35 AM

Oh wow, that's new. I haven't seen level design like that.

Flushex

ToasterApocalypse

Note to self: when Flushex says a level is medium-difficulty, it's actually bloody hard.

Flushex

Haha, really? It's easier than the Jaunt. What rooms are you struggling with? Perhaps I could tweak them.

SomniRespiratory Flux

I'll agree that it's easier than The Jaunt. So far. I'd say it's probably easier than Survivor-Type, as well, seeing how I still haven't finished that one. (I'm stuck at Excavation or whatever it's called). This level I'm about a quarter of the way through, going by rooms on the mini-map. I'm at Typhoon Twister at the moment. I've actually passed through the room twice, but missed the trinket both times, and had to use R to try again, as the next room blocks you from backtracking. It can be rather disorienting and hard to tell how fast things are moving in there, seeing how you're going one way and the background is going the other. I will assume that's deliberate, seeing the theme of the level. :viridian: And I'll second the notion of originality (at the risk of being unoriginal myself) in the level design. The multicolored areas really make it feel like an amusement park. An amusement park of colorful, spiky doom. :vermillion:

Flushex

Quote from: SomniRespiratory Flux on December 07, 2012, 12:26:01 AM
I'll agree that it's easier than The Jaunt. So far. I'd say it's probably easier than Survivor-Type, as well, seeing how I still haven't finished that one. (I'm stuck at Excavation or whatever it's called). This level I'm about a quarter of the way through, going by rooms on the mini-map. I'm at Typhoon Twister at the moment. I've actually passed through the room twice, but missed the trinket both times, and had to use R to try again, as the next room blocks you from backtracking. It can be rather disorienting and hard to tell how fast things are moving in there, seeing how you're going one way and the background is going the other. I will assume that's deliberate, seeing the theme of the level. :viridian: And I'll second the notion of originality (at the risk of being unoriginal myself) in the level design. The multicolored areas really make it feel like an amusement park. An amusement park of colorful, spiky doom. :vermillion:

The problem with letting you backtrack from the room above is because if you were to jump back down, you'd be outside the "twister", which would allow you to bypass the challenge of getting the trinket. Haha, and I suppose I could have had you going in the same direction as the background, but if you look at the screenshot of that room in the original post, you can see where all the spikes are, so you can get a good idea of how to approach the room. Be prepared though, the map is easier than the jaunt overall but probably still harder than survivor type in my opinion. The room you mentioned (excavation) is probably the hardest room of the entire map. Still though, I'm surprised you weren't able to get through survivor type, especially since you not only beat the Jaunt, but you beat the original hard mode of it that most people didn't even play. Good luck though, and give me any advice about tweaks that come do mind during your playthrough.

SomniRespiratory Flux

I understand why the backtracking was locked there, I just happened to accidentally fall into the exit while attempting the trinket. And I wasn't referring to the spikes being hard to see, really, just the contrasting motions. It works for the effect though. And it's really not that Survivor-Type is hard, if you say that that's the hardest room. It's just that I can't exactly do anything else until I finish that room. And it'll probably be a few more tries before that happens. I will try to finish the level sometime, and I'll agree that overall it isn't too hard, but that room is just giving me trouble still.

SomniRespiratory Flux

And now that I've made it further...

Quote from: Flushex on December 06, 2012, 05:55:35 AM

If you hit the warp and the enemies at the exact same time (or the warp and the spikes), you die, then instantly warp into the left side of the room. Not complaining, and as far as I can tell the only way to fix it would be to move the warp or the enemies, which would be more trouble than it's worth. It doesn't break the level at all, since you still have to reach the warp token to continue, it just looks odd. Not a big deal, just an issue with how VVVVVV handles simultaneous events. If you die at the same time you hit something, that something activates after you respawn. Usually it happens with gravity lines, but it's not as noticeable since they only make a small noise. The warp token makes more noise and warps you. I wouldn't worry about it too much, the room is fine even with this happening. :viridian:

Flushex

Yeah, I did notice that happened occasionally, and I thought about moving the warp token, but the same thing can still happen if you hit spikes and the warp token at the same time, so it would have to be completely away from all obstacles. I'll consider moving it in an update if more issues come along.

SomniRespiratory Flux

Like I said, I wouldn't worry too much. You still have to do the entire room to reach it, and it doesn't do anything else it's not supposed to. It might give anyone trying a no-death run trouble, but in this level, they'd probably have some other issues with that.

ToasterApocalypse

Quote from: Flushex on December 06, 2012, 10:06:55 PM
Haha, really? It's easier than the Jaunt.

Hey, atleast I could actually beat the Jaunt.

I ragequitted after wallglitching after warping in Mad Dash. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA SOMAD

Flushex

Quote from: ToasterApocalypse on December 07, 2012, 01:18:05 PM
Quote from: Flushex on December 06, 2012, 10:06:55 PM
Haha, really? It's easier than the Jaunt.

Hey, atleast I could actually beat the Jaunt.

I ragequitted after wallglitching after warping in Mad Dash. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA SOMAD

Thank you for pointing that out. I have no idea why that that warp token warps you into a wall glitch nowhere near it's destination, but I have made a tweak to the room which I think fixes it. I have also nerfed several other rooms.

Terry

Hey, this is really good! It veers a bit too much on the masocore side for my tastes, but there are some neat levels here, and I *love* the visual design :)

Flushex

Quote from: Terry on December 09, 2012, 01:01:15 AM
Hey, this is really good! It veers a bit too much on the masocore side for my tastes, but there are some neat levels here, and I *love* the visual design :)

Wow, I'm honored that you'd even play it! Honestly, I am heavily influenced by feedback when it comes to updating and tweaking my levels, and if there are particularly frustrating rooms, I am more than willing to tweak them based on what people say. I definitely wasn't aiming for masocore, but in hindsight, I should have used more restraint on the challenges. I've been thinking about making it more playable and less difficult, and I'll start implementing those changes right away. In the mean time, any specific feedback on particularly annoying rooms will be taken to heart. Thanks for playing!