YYYYYY

Started by Robson, February 02, 2010, 09:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shasharala

Haha!  That's a funny looking pause screen.
I would be so confused as to where I was with that many rooms too.  :P

Ahh well...
I'm glad to know I can make a campaign with multiple people to save.
I could try to make some amazing storyline where you have to save one person or the other from imminent doom and you must choose.
Your wife... or a newborn baby girl.  Which will it be?
Only on Playstation. @_@

Robson

Quote from: Whirligig on May 04, 2010, 10:25:47 PM
LOL, 16834 rooms? That's 40 times the size of Dimension VVVVVV!  :vitellary:
It can do 65535 rooms as well :viridian: It's taken me weeks to make just 16 rooms, so that would keep me busy for years!!

Quote from: Shasharala on May 05, 2010, 07:55:59 PM
Haha!  That's a funny looking pause screen.
I would be so confused as to where I was with that many rooms too.  :P
I was thinking the only realistic way to have a campaign that big is to write some code to generate a maze, then make it generate all the rooms from that. A massive maze consisting of 16834 rooms!! It should also use room-wrapping, for ultimate confusion :viridian:

Quote from: Shasharala on May 05, 2010, 07:55:59 PM
Ahh well...
I'm glad to know I can make a campaign with multiple people to save.
I could try to make some amazing storyline where you have to save one person or the other from imminent doom and you must choose.
Your wife... or a newborn baby girl.  Which will it be?
Only on Playstation. @_@
Haha! I'd buy that!

arcticwolf15

To Shash... whatever:

Please tell me if I need to adjust the par.

Edit: Robson, it would be cool if there were doors, keys, gates, and switches. This would work like keys unlock one door of its color. Switches would unlock all gates of their color. There could be open and closed gates at the same time AND of the same color. Because of this, there could be a switch that would close off the path to the crewmate, but opens another path which leads to a key needed to open the door to the crewmate. Gates could also be used to make bridges that only appear when their switch is pressed. Switches can be used more than once. This could make for some pretty long levels and puzzles.

What do you think guys? Didn't want to double post.

Robson

My plan is to finish the first campaign this weekend (all rooms are done and it's fully playable, but I want to make lots of little improvements), then send it to the campaign testers on Monday.

On a completely unrelated note, I've joined a Dungeons & Dragons roleplaying group! Never done that before, but I'm hoping it'll be enjoyable :viridian: First session is on the 26th.

Quote from: arcticwolf15 on May 05, 2010, 11:26:56 PM
Robson, it would be cool if there were doors, keys, gates, and switches. This would work like keys unlock one door of its color. Switches would unlock all gates of their color. There could be open and closed gates at the same time AND of the same color. Because of this, there could be a switch that would close off the path to the crewmate, but opens another path which leads to a key needed to open the door to the crewmate. Gates could also be used to make bridges that only appear when their switch is pressed. Switches can be used more than once. This could make for some pretty long levels and puzzles.

Interesting idea. I can definitely see how doors/keys/etc would work in a puzzle game, but my immediate reaction is that they aren't quite appropriate for YYYYYY. Two reasons for this:

The objects in YYYYYY do one of two things - they either kill you (spikes, word enemies) or they enhance movement in some way (teleports move you somewhere else, bounce wires move you back where you were, treadmills can move you somewhere very quickly, moving platforms can take you to places, rotation wires allow you to access new exits and travel across objects in new ways, etc)

There's a big focus on freedom, rather than restriction. You can see this in lots of places in VVVVVV. Especially notable examples are the flipping mechanic, allowing you to reach places that other games don't. The other example would be the absence of area barriers, allowing you to play the areas in any order.

I think doors/keys/gates go against that freedom, because they restrict movement.

You can already do a lot of things with clever use of spikes and dissolving tiles. I'm not at home now, so unfortunately can't show you any real examples. Instead I'll scribble a rough example:

#########
#YYYYYYY#
#+++++++#
#+#####+#
+       
+     @
#########

The player is blocked from accessing the exit on the left, because of the dissolving tiles. To get to the left, the player needs to step on the dissolving tile above them, which will cause a chain reaction along the line of dissolving tiles, unblocking the exit. So, in this example, the dissolving tiles have been made into a door and a key.

One of the levels I made for the first campaign was called "The Machine". It had a tunnel at the beginning with five dissolving tiles acting as "levers". The player needed to work out the effect of the levers and then activate the correct levers to safely manouveur themself through the machine. However, it looked kinda messy and I wasn't happy with the overall design of the room, so I replaced it with someone else.

Finding new uses for existing objects is a lot better than adding new objects. There's many reasons for this, for example - the player already knows how dissolved tiles work, so they don't need to learn anything new. It's also less programming to do, meaning I can get the game finished quicker and there's less potential for bugs. Ideally every object within the game should be usable in multiple ways, to give the game variety and allow for many different level designs.

arcticwolf15

At least I know you read it.

Robson

Quote from: arcticwolf15 on May 13, 2010, 09:44:00 PM
At least I know you read it.
Sorry if you found my answer harsh? It wasn't intended to be that way. I thought you'd appreciate me giving reasons, instead of dismissing it without an explanation.

Please do make more suggestions, if you'd like to. The best ideas for game objects would enhance/alter movement in some way, have a direct link to the flipping mechanic, should be easy to understand, and should be usable in many different situations.

arcticwolf15

I've started a new campaign. The title is gonna be "The Gauntlet".
The layout looks like this:
#PAR=2000

abc5ghinop
40def0jm0q
300000kl0r
21zyxwvuts

Probably need to adjust the par

Shasharala

What is par?  I havn't built any levels yet so I don't understand what par represents in this game.  Speed?

arcticwolf15

If you get under the par, you get a higher rank

Shasharala

Oh, I see.  :viridian:
Thanks for explaining.

Robson

Quote from: arcticwolf15 on May 16, 2010, 07:44:15 PM
I've started a new campaign. The title is gonna be "The Gauntlet".
Cool :viridian: Looking forward to playing it! Let me know if there's anything I can do to make editing easier.

arcticwolf15

Got some room names with Y puns ready! Feel free to suggest some! I might use them in The Gauntlet.

Y so serious?
The cake is a Y (my favorite)

SoulEye

"The cake is a Y"..... Genius! :)

Y-farer
Welcome to Y-oming
The Y men
Mog-Y fears the lYght
Y not?
Y of course!
Y indeed.

And..... saving the best for last...

Stop Y-ning!

(Said with Schwarzenegger accent...)

ecsdaowzwpjlvn

Robson

These are awesome! "The Cake is a Y" is an instant winner :viridian: Here's a couple more:

Y me?
Y GOD Y!!
If a first you don't succeed, Y, Y again
Y in the sky
Ys guy
Do It Y
I spy, with my little eye, something beginning with Y
The Y Zone
Good Y
Give me a Y
Word to the Ys
Y? Y would you do that?!?