Forum closing down [REOPENED]

Started by Terry, May 03, 2013, 06:17:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry

Hey everyone.

I'm sure a lot of you are aware that I'm not really active on these forums any more. In fact, these days it feels like I only drop in when I get a moderator email - for quite some time, these forums have just been a place for random chats about nothing in particular. That's totally fine, but I don't really have the time to moderate that.

So, in a month from now, I'm gonna to close the forums down. I'll be leaving the levels forum, and that's it. The rest of the forum will be archived. (Any off topic posting in the levels forum will just get immediately banned, sorry).

If you're looking for new places to hang out online, here are some suggestions!

http://www.kongregate.com/
http://www.newgrounds.com/
http://forums.tigsource.com/

Hope you've had fun here! Cheers :viridian:

[Edit] Also, consider Dav999's new forum! http://tolp.net16.net/forum/index.php

ToasterApocalypse

Quote from: Terry on May 03, 2013, 06:17:40 PM
Hey everyone.

I'm sure a lot of you are aware that I'm not really active on these forums any more. In fact, these days it feels like I only drop in when I get a moderator email - for quite some time, these forums have just been a place for random chats about nothing in particular. That's totally fine, but I don't really have the time to moderate that.

So, in a month from now, I'm gonna to close the forums down. I'll be leaving the levels forum, and that's it. The rest of the forum will be archived. (Any off topic posting in the levels forum will just get immediately banned, sorry).

If you're looking for new places to hang out online, here are some suggestions!

http://www.kongregate.com/
http://www.newgrounds.com/
http://forums.tigsource.com/

Hope you've had fun here! Cheers :viridian:

ogodogodogodogodogodogodogodogodogodogod

aLaserShark

Dav999

Man, I really hope you're not serious about this :victoria:

If it's all about not being able to moderate it anymore, then why not have some (active) moderators? I mean, really, it's much better than this forum closing down! Maybe someone else could even take it over?

But please don't close this forum down :victoria:

blue626

Quote from: Dav999 on May 03, 2013, 09:02:40 PM
If it's all about not being able to moderate it anymore, then why not have some (active) moderators? I mean, really, it's much better than this forum closing down! Maybe someone else could even take it over?

That and forum rules. Everyone that creates a forum game, makes a useless bump or anything like that gets banned for 7 days, permanently if twice. :vermillion: That should prevent those from happening.
But, who would be the Global Moderators? Or even the Admin? That's the problem. Terry wouldn't give those positions to just someone... I think... right?

Also, I've been looking into two of the sites linked; it seems the only problem is that we wouldn't have a board just for the game...

Dav999

Quote from: blue626 on May 03, 2013, 10:52:58 PM

That and forum rules. Everyone that creates a forum game, makes a useless bump or anything like that gets banned for 7 days, permanently if twice. :vermillion: That should prevent those from happening.

I agree. Many forums have a sticky with forum rules. Some are very strict, but this forum doesn't have any real thread with rules, and combined with the lack of a General Discussion board this just results in people believing they can post and do whatever they want, no matter how irrelevant the things they post may be.

Maybe there's a function (or a plug in maybe?) that allows everyone to disapprove of posts instead of report, select something from a drop down list what's wrong (bump, forum game, irrelevant, etc) so a certain action will be automatically taken after a set number of people have done this. This may be useful if Terry doesn't want to make anyone here a mod.

Fussmatte

Dav999

I'll be leaving the levels forum, and that's it. The rest of the forum will be archived.

Does that mean that all boards except the VVVVVV Levels board will become read-only like General Discussion is now?

I totally see it coming: Look at the VVVVVV board like it is right now (or even the General Discussion board). Will that be the Levels board we have in a month?

FIQ

Quote from: Dav999 on May 04, 2013, 01:17:13 PM
I'll be leaving the levels forum, and that's it. The rest of the forum will be archived.

Does that mean that all boards except the VVVVVV Levels board will become read-only like General Discussion is now?

I totally see it coming: Look at the VVVVVV board like it is right now (or even the General Discussion board). Will that be the Levels board we have in a month?
Hopefully not, as that would just mean that the entire forum would go down.
And that's not something I personally would like to see.

FIQ

Man, I really hope you're not serious about this :victoria:

But please don't close this forum down :victoria:
I'm not entirely sure, but I think the main problem isn't the lack of moderation, but the fact that it doesn't solve anything. People have gotten banned left and right, and yet people still use the forum (and especially this board) as a forum where you can do anything.

Dav999

Quote from: FIQ on May 04, 2013, 02:09:32 PM

It's still probably going to happen without good forum rules and mods. I mean, people who keep bumping 3-year-old threads even though they know that people do get banned for it, with increasing lengths?

I just want the forum to be back as it was before the forum games and nonsense threads. :( Not a closed forum.

ToasterApocalypse

Quote from: Dav999 on May 04, 2013, 02:37:37 PM
Quote from: FIQ on May 04, 2013, 02:09:32 PM

It's still probably going to happen without good forum rules and mods. I mean, people who keep bumping 3-year-old threads even though they know that people do get banned for it, with increasing lengths?

I just want the forum to be back as it was before the forum games and nonsense threads. :( Not a closed forum.

Roskilla started the forum apocalypse
Forum game thread that wasn't deleted led to GD being locked. That then led to bumperfags and GD threads in VVVVVV, which has led to this.

drinking bleach

allison

Considering what has happened, perhaps we should reopen GD, and contain all insanity within it.

Dav999

Quote from: crazyal02 on May 04, 2013, 03:23:14 PM
Considering what has happened, perhaps we should reopen GD, and contain all insanity within it.

Or just put all insanity on the forum on tolp.webs.com and just be serious here.

Maybe Terry should just move all General Discussion and nonsense threads which are in the VVVVVV board right now to the (yes, locked) General Discussion and do that (or let a mod do that) for every nonsense/non-VVVVVV thread that gets posted from now on. It would automatically lock those threads.

Hilbert

Well. I come back from my month and a half break to see this. :victoria: