Tower of Lirpa (V1.0)

Started by FIQ, April 01, 2014, 08:52:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FIQ

EDIT: Happy April Fools everyone!

Original post
------------------
Vermilion has gone missing, again!
Viridian has to venture into an unknown place where Vermilion said he was going, and find him. On the way, he stumbles upon a mysterious, long, tower, not unlike The Tower back in VVVVVV. Can you save Vermilion in the end? Play the level to find out!

This is a level that I've worked on in secret for a while. After looking through VVVVVV internals with a memory checker (if you don't know what this is - think gameshark or cheat engine). I discovered that a particular bit enables a scrolling level (The Tower, etc). I also noticed that this bit was very close to the flag range. As earlier found, you could set "flags" beyond the 0-99 range by flag(x,on) and thus modify other stuff in RAM. By doing some calculations, I attempted to set a towermode flag by this, and to my surprise, it worked!

Whoa, I had no idea this was even possible! --Terry

O_O --simonroth

what's so special about this? --Notch

Because The Tower uses a 3rd tileset with a very different tile structure, and the rooms in question can't have tileset 3 by default, I had to work with tileset 1 but use tileset 3 numbers. This makes the level look really weird for a split second in the tower, but it fixes itself very quickly. This way, I could create a tower level, and funnily enough, without a single line of internal scripting!

Download: http://home.fiq.se/vvvvvv/toweroflirpa/1.0.vvvvvv

sv6z2

YOU CAN'T FOOL ME  :D

Info Teddy

Wh/\e we're on the top/c of Apr/\ Foo\'s, /'d \/ke to ment/on my subredd/t doesn't get an Apr/\ Foo\'s.