How to make GOOD levels

Started by Lollipop, July 12, 2014, 06:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lollipop

If you want a good level, the should be (I guess) what to do.

Do:

A. Make them bigger than 5 by 5. Short levels like that only take less than 15 minutes.

B. Put some details and backing to fancify your level (which I didn't do)

C. No Veni Vidi Vici's and ESPECIALLY don't make them mandatory.

D. Don't make them TOO easy because spice and difficulty is good.

Don't:

A. Make them impossible like playing flappy bird.

B. Have a lacklustre storyline like "ahhhh save your friends their trapped huryyyyyy"

C. Don't try to rip off someone else's mechanics (unless they give you permission)

D. Have bad words or swears because kids play VVVVVV too.

If this seems like a copy of someone else's post, tell me and I will definetly do something about it.
Bye.

sv6z2

My response (on what I usually do):
Do:

A: <tick>
B: <tick>
C: I wouldn't say NO DTTHWs as long as they are out of the way
D: <tick>

Don't

A: <half tick>  ;)
B: <tick>
C: <half tick>
D: <tick>

allison

I'd disagree with the first "Do" one. There's nothing wrong with making a short level, and some very good levels have been made that are also small.

Your "Do":
1. Disagreed. There are many good 5x1 levels, especially if they are meant to only present a concept. In fact, it is not a good idea to force yourself making a long level since after some time, you would use up all creativity and inspiration and the product became not as good.
2. It depends. The more important thing is that the designer polished the level.
3. ALL THE YES
4. Agreed, but it's probably not the concern as player levels tend to be too hard rather than too easy.

I'll add a few points for "Do".
1. Attempt all rooms to ensure that they can be beaten consistently.
2. Give your level a title rather than "Untitled Level".
3. Implement a variety of challenges making use of different entities in the game, unless your level focuses on a particular concept.
4. Try your best to design creative challenges.
5. Add a version number to the level. Change it when you have implemented updates to it.

Your "Don't":
1. Yes.
2. Probably yes, especially if you consider the gameplay and design of the level more important.
3. Not really, because there's little indication of who first invented various mechanics. I don't mean everyone should be a blatant copycat, but sometimes the same mechanism can be implemented in a different way. The mechanics invented by others could be an inspiration of new ideas.
4. Yes.

My "Don't":
1. Boost the game's difficulty by demanding the player to be pixel-perfect or artificial limitations like checkpoint starvation.
2. Gravitrons.
3. Rely on an in-game glitch (except internal scripting) to pass a challenge.
4. Single-tiled wall (without Direct Mode), inconsistent wall etc.
5. Repeating script, long delay.
6. Many identical empty rooms as "overworld" (Add something to it to make the experience more interesting!)
7. Name your level Dimension *insert random name* or any letter repeated 6 times (I did it once though.)
8. Add random, uninspired challenges because you are few rooms away from completion.

I could think of much more, but I don't want to type them all now  ;)

Lollipop

Quote from: crazyal02 on July 14, 2014, 01:40:37 PM
I'd disagree with the first "Do" one. There's nothing wrong with making a short level, and some very good levels have been made that are also small.

Okay