Game doesn't recognize player levels

Started by CrazyBeast, December 02, 2014, 08:45:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrazyBeast

Hello!

Bought VVVVVV a week ago on steam and realy enjoyed this awsome game. Just finished main compain and all player levels that were initialy included.

Now im trying to download and install more levels, but... game doesn't see them. It says that i need to place them into user/??? ?????????/VVVVVV/levels. I do so, but no additional levels appear in the list. (question marks indicate a different langauge, as long as i have a russian version of windows. Can this cause a problem?).

I also tried to add levels directly into archive in steam/SteamApps/common/vvvvvv, but it says "archive is corrupted".

Additionaly, i can't load my own saved levels.

How can i fix this problem? Thx.

allison

Huh... Are there any non-English characters in the path? That's the only thing I can think of that would cause the problem?

CrazyBeast

Quote from: crazyal02 on December 02, 2014, 11:36:31 PM
Huh... Are there any non-English characters in the path? That's the only thing I can think of that would cause the problem?
Yes. Game recognizes the path user/??? ?????????/VVVVVV/levels ("My Documents" wrote in russian) in game menu, and says to copy new levels there. However, nothing happens if i do so.

I did create new folder user/My Documents/VVVVVV/levels, but in this case one needs to make VVVVVV check this new folder. How can i do that? I dunno.

CrazyBeast

Quote from: Dav999 on December 03, 2014, 07:36:41 AM
Well, the new levels folder is actually in AppData (can't check at the moment but try pressing Windows+R (run prompt) and enter "%appdata%\VVVVVV" without quotes)
There is no VVVVVV folder in my AppData. Recall that i have a steam version of the game.

CrazyBeast

Ok there is a solution, nonsatisfactory one but still...

I unzipped "data" archive from steam/SteamApps/common/vvvvvv, copied new level into "levels", and zipped in back. Now game sees new level.

But its frustraiting to do it every time i need to save and load my own levels. Still need a better solution.

CrazyBeast

Same problem in "Make and Play" edition.

allison

Well, I guess the only way to resolve is is getting Terry to fix it

Dav999

Is there a folder in AppData referring to Steam? Has the Make and Play edition made its own VVVVVV folder?

Actually, what path is listed by the game in the player levels menu?

CrazyBeast

Quote from: Dav999 on December 04, 2014, 07:39:52 AM
Is there a folder in AppData referring to Steam?
Nope.

Actually, what path is listed by the game in the player levels menu?
Quote from: CrazyBeast on December 02, 2014, 08:45:44 AM
user/??? ?????????/VVVVVV/levels

Has the Make and Play edition made its own VVVVVV folder?
Same old user/??? ?????????/VVVVVV/levels.

Quote from: crazyal02 on December 04, 2014, 12:37:41 AM
Well, I guess the only way to resolve is is getting Terry to fix it
I guess you are right.
Terry! This dimension needs you! Plz?

Terry

Weird :( Could you please take a screenshot of where the game says your player level directory is? The levels are clearly installed somewhere, so I don't know what's going wrong...

CrazyBeast

Quote from: Terry on December 04, 2014, 01:53:21 PM
Weird :( Could you please take a screenshot of where the game says your player level directory is? The levels are clearly installed somewhere, so I don't know what's going wrong...
Sure. Attached archive with 4 screenshots.

Fisrt screenshot: directory recongized by game.
Second screenshot: created a simple level. Saved it.
Third screenshot: level is in this directory.
Forth screenshot: tried to load. Loaded an empty level.

Same thing happens if i try to install new levels into this directory. Game doesn't see and can't load them.

But levels can be loaded and edited if i insert them into archive in steam directory (read above), which is boring (unzip, zip back every time i edit my level).

i'm not petrikov

Quote from: CrazyBeast on December 02, 2014, 08:45:44 AMCan this cause a problem?
uh, yes
i guess simon roth didn't implement handing special characters of vvvvvv and there was probably no incentive to do so because there are no versions of vvvvvv in different languages

Terry

Quote from: CrazyBeast on December 04, 2014, 03:06:59 PM

Same thing happens if i try to install new levels into this directory. Game doesn't see and can't load them.

But levels can be loaded and edited if i insert them into archive in steam directory (read above), which is boring (unzip, zip back every time i edit my level).

Ok, that's really helpful and clear, thank you!

It looks like the level import code doesn't work with unicode folder names. I'll talk to Ethan Lee and see if he has time to fix it - it might well be a pretty straightforward fix!

CrazyBeast

Quote from: Terry on December 06, 2014, 09:04:23 PM

It looks like the level import code doesn't work with unicode folder names. I'll talk to Ethan Lee and see if he has time to fix it - it might well be a pretty straightforward fix!
Ok, thank you!

Can you please keep me informed through this topic?

SJMistery

Quote from: Terry on December 06, 2014, 09:04:23 PM
Quote from: CrazyBeast on December 04, 2014, 03:06:59 PM

and i hope it's soon, my idea of fixing levels has been interrupted by this glitch

sorry for the OT but: Terry! you still here! we were worried. and i am still waiting for the "tower-like level" script ;)