What not to put in your VVVVVV Level

Started by VeeC7, August 22, 2015, 09:44:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce Michez

103. An ending that sends you back to the menu with a certain internal script.  This prevents players from ever having stars next to the level in the menu.

Ally 🌠

Quote from: Weird Shadow Machine on January 31, 2016, 08:07:24 PM
103. An ending that sends you back to the menu with a certain internal script.  This prevents players from ever having stars next to the level in the menu.
Uh
gamestate(81) gives stars...
...right?

allison

*slides away sheepishly*

Ally 🌠

Quote from: crazya02 on February 01, 2016, 04:41:47 AM
*slides away sheepishly*
FIX OVERDOSE AHHHHHH
just teleport to a place with a crewmate and use gotoposition

allison

Quote from: Luigi master on February 01, 2016, 12:05:23 PM
FIX OVERDOSE AHHHHHH
just teleport to a place with a crewmate and use gotoposition
I used a gamestate because I thought rescuing a crewmate would kill the mood.

If anyone asks me about it again I'll just say that the fact that the level is impossible to complete is actually some sort of deep symbolism.

QwertymanO07

Yeah well maybe it'll work if you rescue yourself.

I mean except that it probably won't, but whatever.

EpicCreeper9001

*looks at Vultarix*

104. (Favorite number): Glitching is required to progress in the level.

105. Major shortcuts.

i don't use this site anymore, please don't look at my posts

I did the gamestate 81 thing because it fades in to my level I'm making

allison

Quote from: Q•be on February 07, 2016, 06:12:23 PM

PS that doesn't actually fit to the discussion: Also, I need crazyal's help for a custom song... Sorry, haven't got Notepad++ or something similar.

Notepad++ is free, and so is most hex editing software.

moth 🦋

Or you could send me the song and I can do it.

QwertymanO07

Quote from: Q•be on February 07, 2016, 06:12:23 PM106. Setting an only song for a long time lapse, or even for the entire dimension if it has more than a zone (seen it)

109: Conversely, don't change the music too often.  It's kind of annoying and makes your level seem unprofessional.  Try to keep every maybe 7 to 10 screens the same song.
110: Relatedly, don't change the level theme too often either, for the same reasons as above.  This can work if you do it right, but it's still good to avoid.

moth 🦋

QwertymanO07

Quote from: Q•be on February 27, 2016, 10:09:28 AM
[Note: I use Paint for tile editing]
Well there's your problem.  You need to use something with transparency, like Paint.NET.

Ally 🌠

I don't know if anyone already said this, but 111. Direct mode abusing (by incapable people). It explains by itself. If you're not a ToasterApocalypse or a Crazya02, you CAN'T put random direct mode tiles.
Also, a thing: I tried once to create a personal tiles2.png. Can someone tell me the reason for why when I put tiles in the game the unused pixels are white and not transparent? [Note: I use Paint for tile editing]
or a luigi
dont forget the luigi

I don't know if anyone already said this, but 111. Direct mode abusing (by incapable people). It explains by itself. If you're not a ToasterApocalypse or a Crazya02, you CAN'T put random direct mode tiles.
Also, a thing: I tried once to create a personal tiles2.png. Can someone tell me the reason for why when I put tiles in the game the unused pixels are white and not transparent? [Note: I use Paint for tile editing]
paint doesnt support see through tiles.
GET SOMETHING LIKE PAINT.NET
ITS AWESOME

Asmodean_

112. Making your level so complex that you can only beat it if you can beat it.

Tautologies aside, I hate when there are 40 exits to a room and only one works. Maybe a hint? Blind guessing can basically double your death count through no lack of skill on your part.

113. USING ALL CAPS IN DIALOG BOXES OH MY GOD I'M RIGHT HERE YOU DON'T NEED TO YELL!!!!!