What not to put in your VVVVVV Level

Started by VeeC7, August 22, 2015, 09:44:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fraZ0R

130.5:Grammar mistakes.

Ally 🌠

Great, now we need to fill in 131 to 412.

5tr4 please edit your post to say 131 instead of 414

131. Impossible rooms with createentity enemies

fraZ0R

132:using the same flag for 2 different things.
133:putting the color before the number in say commands. It crashes the game. I learned this the hard way... and I forgot to save before doing it.....

QwertymanO07

I think we've really hit most of them at this point, because I'm seeing a lot of repeats.

Quote from: 5tr4 on June 03, 2016, 12:54:23 PM
I imagine that you could reuse flags as long as it's impossible to go back to the area where the flag is first used.  Of course, it's still sloppy architecture and you should only really do this if you are literally running out of flags.

Dav999

Quote from: QwertymanO07 on June 03, 2016, 01:38:28 PM
Quote from: 5tr4 on June 03, 2016, 12:54:23 PM
I imagine that you could reuse flags as long as it's impossible to go back to the area where the flag is first used.  Of course, it's still sloppy architecture and you should only really do this if you are literally running out of flags.
What we've done for tOLP1 and tOLP2 is to define flags 90-99 as temporary flags, which can be used for anything as long as you turn them back off again. If you do it even better then this can make flag use very efficient; use flags 90-99 for each cutscene in an area, and when you complete that area, mark all the cutscenes as completed at once with one master flag for that entire area.

But if you don't know which flag you're using then yes, there is a problem.

Viridan

134: not clearly distinguishing which path will lead me to a trinket, and which will carry on with the level. especially if the path that continues the level is one-way
135: wraparound backgrounds that, in rooms where you would expect to be able to wrap around, do nothing and are just there for the sake of having your warp zone/polar dimension look proper

SteveGamer68

QwertymanO07

The problem is that there's not really much you can do with the Gravitron; it's kind of a dead end, creatively.  Basically, if you've seen one, you've seen them all.  Keep in mind, however, that this list is not and will never be fully concrete.  Basically, if you have a wonderful idea for the Gravitron that no one's done before, just make it; don't hold back because it was on this list.

i don't use this site anymore, please don't look at my posts

136. Gotoroom spam... that takes up the entire level

CreepiX

131224. INTERNAL SCRIPTS WHICH CRASH THE GAME/SEND YOU TO MENU/DESTROY YOUR SAVE! :violet:

Ally 🌠

QwertymanO07

It's better to end levels with gotoroom() onto a rescuable crewmate in a fully black room, though.  Also, you could use such a script as a hazard, which would be awful in every way.

137. Viridian's gender - It's kept ambiguous for a reason, so try to uphold that.  Now admittedly, this is relatively minor, but it's still good practice.

Tainy

Quote from: CreepiX on July 24, 2016, 11:26:36 AM
131224. INTERNAL SCRIPTS WHICH CRASH THE GAME/SEND YOU TO MENU/DESTROY YOUR SAVE! :violet:
*FUCKING DIES*
I'M GUESSING YOU DIDN'T BACKUP BEFORE FINISHING END OF THE MULTIVERSE? HOPY SHIT THIS LOOKS SO SALTY

CreepiX

Quote from: Tainy on July 24, 2016, 01:48:27 PM
Quote from: CreepiX on July 24, 2016, 11:26:36 AM
*FUCKING DIES*
I'M GUESSING YOU DIDN'T BACKUP BEFORE FINISHING END OF THE MULTIVERSE? HOPY SHIT THIS LOOKS SO SALTY
I haven't played End of the Multiverse. And I don't want to.

LafondaSaysMeow

I don't even play the main game so I didn't care.

131225 138: Levels that were made by modifying data.zip. It's quite likely that nobody has/will do this, and do realize that I mean doing things like swapping tilesets. This can lead to tiles with incorrect properties and the level will as a whole be more ugly. But, yet again, it is likely that no one has/will do this. We have just got to the point where it is really hard not to repeat anything.