Level Editor Bugs and Requests

Started by Officer Captain, August 08, 2011, 11:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Officer Captain

The Unofficial VVVVVV Level Editor Bug Report and Feature Request Center - Now 100% more organized!

[BUGS/GLITCHES]
{GENERAL}
-*Maybe a warning if people have leaks more than 3 spaces tall / 2 spaces wide to help fight leaks
-Occasional bug in which the letterbox for cutscenes appears, and persists for the rest of the level (Likely related to moving out of the script box's range and scripting errors)
-There is no character select (A serious crime)
-Certain enemies and props are missing (Which is normal)
-"if" commands (and possibly everything in scripts except for say and reply sections) interpret the script names as lowercase and without spaces, so they don't work if referencing a script with spaces or with uppercase letters.
-Large say and reply commands sometimes don't show up.

{SPIKES}
-Wrapped screens break spikes

{MOVING/DISAPPEARING/CONVEYER PLATFORMS}
-Reverse Quicksand
-destroy(platforms) is broken
-Disappearing platforms don't block moving ones
-Moving platforms don't block moving platforms
-Wrapped screens break moving platforms
-Colliding vertical and horizontal moving platforms apparently cause a bug
-Having a conveyer tile in the top left corner of a screen negates all spike damage

{GRAVITY LINES}
-"If you place a horizontal gravity line at the very top or very bottom of the screen, you'll flip into the next screen."

{WARP TOKENS}
-Disappearing warp tokens

[REQUESTS]
{GENERAL}
-Disable "M" turning off sound while scripting or change it entirely
-Custom content (Enemies; map props)
-Character selection
-Teleporters
-Different colored textboxes
-Ability to rotate spikes against different walls (If two or more walls are involved)
-Fire once script command
-Tweakable platform/enemy speed
-Twitching Letters in roomnames (Gvnsmoke 1966)
-Bosses (Stompable?)
-Horizontally scrolling rooms
-Characters oriented horizontally (Flip from left wall to right wall, change control scheme)
-"Power up" items (Like scripted invincibility, a "double flip", SHOES, etc.)
-Additional moods (Like you see in the emoticons here)

{TILESETS}
-Backing for all tile sets
-Combining tilesets (Like the dead ends near the warpzone)
-Backing and spikes on the same tile
-Spike color
-Gray tileset

{CREWMATES}
>-Scriptable crewmates which don't have to be saved who are able to:
-Land on platforms
-Be killed by spikes and enemies
-Walk along with the captain (like in the intermissions and after you find them)
-Move
-Flip
-Be taken off screen
-Be put on screen
-Changeable moods
-Change colors
-Be affected by warp direction

{OBJECTIVES}
-Alternate goals in general
-Script to immediately end level

{PLATFORMS}
-Script to start and stop platforms

{A NOTE FROM SENDY WHICH I DIDN'T CLASSIFY}
"I have a fairly simple GUI request that I hope Terry sees so I'm making the font bigger. I'm finding it hard to draw straight lines in fullscreen mode without a mouse cursor onscreen. Currently I'm getting a block movement cursor which is quite unpredictable and leads to a lot of rubbing out and correcting when trying to make straight lines!"
-Sendy

THIS GAME
*NEEDS*
SHOES

Damn It AL to Hell

The slide up to victory thing is caused if you use shift + W makes warp lines, so watch out for that.

PJBottomz

:-X No it's not. It's from collision errors.

Sendy

IMNSHO, if you can cross a screen boundary (wrapped or otherwise) and the first tile on the next screen is either a wall or a spike, that's bad level design 99.9% of the time.

Officer Captain

I think that, if you cross into a wall, the game should crash itself and have text stating "YOU HAVE COLLISION ERRORS" come up.
You know, keep everybody on their toes.

xTwoTails

Request: It's rather small but make a text appear on the screen that says "Music turned on/off " and "Sounds turned on/off " along with a Key that's separate from most of the commands.

PJBottomz

@Officer Captain

Maybe not a complete game crash. Just, you know, end the level.

@xTwoTails

The text idea is good, but no matter what, if the "music" button is a letter, when typing a script, it'll like be turned off. I recommend of all letters to use "Z". I hardly see any level with the letter Z.

It probably feels unappreaciated. Poor little Z. :'( IT'S SO LONELY!

Officer Captain

You could still play the level if the game didn't crash. There's obviously no other way to prevent people from looking over map leaks without crashing the game.

PJBottomz

Are you talking about total game crash or something elsE?

Officer Captain

Well, you know, those kind of crashes you see on scary movies and such, with ear breakingly loud cracking audio, and the words which come up on screen.

They deserve it.

Sendy

Because I was confused in my other thread and I'm not sure if my final conclusion was clear or not, I'll bring this up here:

Combining horizontal and vertical moving platforms can cause a problem where V will sink into the top of the vertical platform.

YMMV.

Has anyone effectively combined them both in one screen?

PJBottomz

I've got quite a few ideas.

Teleporters (like ones in the actual game)
Backing for the Warp Zone Tileset
Colored text boxes for crewmates
Script commands to force movement
Teleport script command
Happy and Sad commands for crewmates
Alternate level goals
Code to end level in a script
Ability to destroy/create things
Add a fish enemy (because I'm a horrible artist :P)
Add human enemies (like, guards and and stuff)

That's all I've got. For now. :D

Sendy

Continuing PJ's list with my own thoughts, the things I yearned for were:

1) Being able to choose the direction of certain tiles, such as spikes and wall surfaces, without the editor deciding for me. (Perhaps two modes, one where the editor decides as it does now, and one where multiple clicks rotate objects)

2) Being able to change the colour of the spikes. Seriously. Given that the spikes are THE focal element in the game, it'd be nice to be able to colour co-ordinate them with screen designs. Related to this, it would also be sweet to choose a different colour for the enemies, conveyors, etc, to make colourful rooms.

3) Being able to mix tilesets, as VVVVVV does in several places. There are some really cool looking graphic styles you can get with this.

4) Being able to place backing and spike on the same tile :)

5) Being able to choose enemy and platform speeds, and possibly giving each enemy it's own bounding square? That might be making things a little too complex, but it's how Jet Set Willy and it's modern editors work ;)

That's my lot... 10 more rooms and my big level will be done  :vermillion:

Officer Captain

LaZ00L1

While trying out different ways to recreate an elevator for my Metroid-style level, I found a weird effect that appears to have a script carry over from one screen to another when combined with warp tokens.  I uploaded a video here: http://youtu.be/GPhUl4IEnjc

(Trying my best to explain this) I had a leftover script box from a previous attempt that destroyed the warp tokens.  At the bottom of the elevator, Viridian flips into the warp tokens, which have the script box adjacent to the top.  What happens is that Viridian warps to the screen that takes him up the elevator, but the script activates and destroys the warp token in the next screen.  (And he proceeds to get lost in time and space.)  After deleting the script the elevator worked like I thought it should.

So I guess it has to do with collision detection and perhaps Viridian is still technically "moving" on the original screen during the warp flash?  (Or maybe I have this all wrong...)