Beta patch 2.1 Final

Started by simoroth, October 04, 2011, 04:16:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PJBottomz

Quote from: Terry on October 05, 2011, 02:00:49 AM
Quote from: PJBottomz on October 05, 2011, 01:49:23 AM
Ran into a rather large problem.

I placed some spikes using Direct Mode (because I needed backing for them) and when I walked onto the spikes, they did nothing. I didn't die. (And no, I didn't have invincibility on.) Is it just because they are tiles?

Nope, some of the spikes aren't actually spikes. Direct Mode is a little techy. I'll write up a proper explanation of cases like this after the patch is released properly.

I think the spikes with backing have the same properties as the backing, but not the spikes. I think the code is recognizing those specific spike tiles as backing, because the spikes without backing work fine.

Other than that, direct mode is great! I found a bunch of tilesets that you didn't use on the game (like two tilesets that appears to be some old faux outside tilesets), and found the grey tilesets for use, too! My only complaint is that you can't have Space Station tiles and Lab tiles on the same screen. Perhaps a seperate tileset graphic that has Lab/Space Station tiles would solve the issue?

Oh, and SINGLE TILES! :viridian: :viridian: :viridian: :viridian: :viridian: :viridian: :viridian: :viridian:

And the coloured text and crew moods work great, although Vermillion's codes seem to not work. What's the code for Vermillion's coloured text? (I think it might have something to do with the length of his name, seeing that the other names work fine.)

EDIT: Nevermind about the Vermillion text. I found that you used only 1 "l" in his name. Was that on purpose?

Also, while using direct mode, I found a major bug. If you're holding down Ctrl and click anywhere on the game, you can't place anything. No walls, no backing, no trinkets, checkpoints, nothing. The only way to fix it is to shut off the game and restart it.

And, for some reason, the game isn't recognizing a game I made in version 2.0 (it was The Ship 3, which I was almost done with), and I can't play it or load it on the editor. But it's still there, in the file folder.

Martze

The graphics on this port are buggy for me, whether or not I turn on OpenGL. Enabling OpenGL makes things the wrong size, wrong aspect ratio, and off-centered, no matter what graphics options I take.

Turning it off is considerably better, but there's still two thin bars on the left and right that show junk.

One of the above posters complained that there was no option for blurring, but I can't imagine why anyone would want such a feature. VVVVVV's graphics are meant to be pixelated. Turn on analog mode if you want the game to look terrible.

Damn It AL to Hell

OH MY GOODNESS! 

:viridian: :viridian: :viridian: :viridian: :viridian: :viridian: :viridian: :viridian: :viridian: :viridian: :viridian: :viridian:

I'm so happy I could burst!  ;D

starttimartti

Quote from: Martze on October 05, 2011, 06:56:48 PM
One of the above posters complained that there was no option for blurring, but I can't imagine why anyone would want such a feature. VVVVVV's graphics are meant to be pixelated. Turn on analog mode if you want the game to look terrible.

I asume that that one of the above posters was me. Though I personally wouldnt call it complaining since I said that atleast I wouldn't use the 'blurring'. :'(

I used the word 'blur' instead of 'linear/cubic/sinc/whatever interpolation'.

There are reasons/situations/people why you should use 'blur' instead of just scaling with 'pixelated' (nearest neighbour), since scaling with nearest neighbour to other than 200% or 300% or 400% (like scaling vvvvvv from 320x240 to 1024x768 is 320%)... produces certain kinds of nasties on the screen.

Dispensers Heal

Look in the "VVVVVV Levels" topic for my test level and how to install 2.1 for Steam.

Probably related to the previous linux reports, using 32-bit Fedora linux system: I only can to get a 640x480 white screen with this patch. If I try with a bigger fullscreen resolution (setting it playing 2.0) the white rectangle is placed to the left-bottom and the rest is black. Judging by the sound, the game is working. I didn't have graphics problems with the original 2.0 or the previous beta of 2.1.

I have a ATI X1400 dedicated graphics card with the radeon (non-privative) drivers. I can to help with more info or tests later.

bigkahuna

I downloaded the file and replaced the old executable with the new, and...

The game broke. It comes up as a white screen with the new snazzy mouse pointer, but nothing else.

It ran perfectly before. I have the Humble Bundle version, if that means anything. Is the update out on that also?

Damn It AL to Hell

Quote from: bigkahuna on October 06, 2011, 06:52:32 PM

The game broke. It comes up as a white screen with the new snazzy mouse pointer, but nothing else.

It ran perfectly before. I have the Humble Bundle version, if that means anything. Is the update out on that also?

Probably, from what I've heard.

xTwoTails

Quote from: bigkahuna on October 06, 2011, 06:52:32 PM

Delete the executable and re-download the .exe again and place it on the Folder again.
If all else fails re-download the Humble version (That's what I have too) and the .exe and try again.

Hopefully it works

simoroth

Quote from: starttimartti on October 05, 2011, 09:42:46 PM

There are reasons/situations/people why you should use 'blur' instead of just scaling with 'pixelated' (nearest neighbour), since scaling with nearest neighbour to other than 200% or 300% or 400% (like scaling vvvvvv from 320x240 to 1024x768 is 320%)... produces certain kinds of nasties on the screen.

Indeed. That was one of the problems we encountered. Sadly its very difficult in our rasterised version to do multisampled upscaling, since its very heavy to do in software.

I'm probably going to have a good rethink with Terry when he gets back about what to expose for the users.

bigkahuna

I re-downloaded the executable and did everything I could... no change.

On the Humble Bundle page, it says the last update was made on August 27th. When will the new binary be uploaded? Until then, I'm out of VVVVVV goodness.

xTwoTails

Right, they have the non-beta patch.
So download the game from Humble , Install it and then download the executable from the first post, and replace it with the one on your folder.

Otherwise... might wanna ask Terry about it.

Damn It AL to Hell

The update doesn't work when I downloaded, how do I get this working?  ???

Martze

Quote from: simoroth on October 07, 2011, 02:07:40 PM
Quote from: starttimartti on October 05, 2011, 09:42:46 PM

Indeed. That was one of the problems we encountered. Sadly its very difficult in our rasterised version to do multisampled upscaling, since its very heavy to do in software.

I'm probably going to have a good rethink with Terry when he gets back about what to expose for the users.

What would be awesome would be a "pixel perfect" option like in Jamestown, where the image is scaled using nearest neighbor to the highest possible integer ratio, and the rest of the screen is black.

Damn It AL to Hell

Oops! I was using a megaupload downloaded version  :P

:vermillion: Mmmmm, the fail!