Started by Hilbert, July 15, 2012, 02:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dav999

blue626

Quote from: RoskillaHULK!! on September 26, 2012, 08:03:51 PM
Quote from: blue626 on September 26, 2012, 06:43:36 PM
Quote from: Dav999 on September 20, 2012, 08:19:52 PM
Quote from: blue626 on September 20, 2012, 07:58:50 PM
and the gravitron (not bad level design, just lack of originality).

I didn't say it was bad level design...

I misunderstood your post. Sorry. :-[ Actually, lack of originality just makes the level worse, so it was a good idea to write that.
Well, Dav was the one who told everyone how to do it.

So? You're the one who decided to put it in your level. Nobody said "Internal scripting is cool!" or something like that.
My guess is that people wanted to use internal scripting to get new features, but the Gravitron is always the same, and thus it's unoriginal.
EDIT: You may keep it if you like it, though. I don't think that it's bad level design.

FIQ

Internal commands should be used to extend scripting capabilities, not because it is internal scripting. Especially now, as most people know how to use it, it isn't special anymore :P

Dav999

Quote from: FIQ on September 29, 2012, 01:24:38 PM
Internal commands should be used to extend scripting capabilities, not because it is internal scripting. Especially now, as most people know how to use it, it isn't special anymore :P

So... Is the tutorial still necessary?

FIQ

Quote from: Dav999 on September 29, 2012, 02:28:12 PM
Quote from: FIQ on September 29, 2012, 01:24:38 PM

So... Is the tutorial still necessary?
Maybe, allthough your internal command index covers most things :P

Hilbert

Yay I finished the level :)

Hilbert

Hilbert

Pyrite

Nevermind I didn't realise there were checkpoints but when ou go into the polar dimension without moving you get trapped in the wall. Also, death trinkets aren't cool, and you have over 392048 exploits in this level probably.

blue626

Small bump!

I played your level some days ago. Here are my comments:

I saw I could pass to the other side in the VVV tunnel (remember what I said on the other post?), but just starting holding right when the wall has no spikes anymore doesn't work, because of :viridian:'s horizontal acceleration. You have to start holding later than that.
Wall glitches! Weird, the one in the room below "Think Smarter" or something sometimes takes :viridian: up without stopping (it's a way to skip that part of the tunnel, I think. Was that made on purpose? Anyway, I pressed R before I reached the top, I didn't want to cheat), sometimes makes :viridian: pass the 1 tile-thin wall and end up falling down.
After getting the trinekt in "Where U goin'?" you fall to the room below, passing the roof of it, probably because it's only 1-tile tall.
You know that what the "shocks" do is make the room flash, turn :viridian: sad, disable moving and enable agin 2 sec. later, at the same time turning :viridian: happy, right?
Everytime you go to the room where :verdigris: is he falls. This isn't good because you can go there from "Terrorism".
A suicide trinket?! Bad level design (though there's one in (hover)). Let me tell you why I think so: Every death should be a mistake.
I took the warp token to the open area. Exploring the open area may cause wall glitches as there's no roof in the rooms below some rooms. I pressed R. I realized the room above where I was teleported was the room with the 2 warp tokens, in which the left one leads to the VVV tunnel. I took the right one and realized that it leads to the tunnel too. After that, I touched the CP forgetting that I fould press R to escape. I had to repeat everything! >:( It was a good idea, in this case, as I forgot to collect the trinket in "ineV"! :D :)
After I completed the
After completing the tunnel again I realized that triggering the script where :viridian: talk to :vermillion: the 2nd time will make cutscene bars stay. Which method did you use to stop the script form executing twice? That ddoesn't happen with the script where :viridian: says "YEEEEES!" Without moving you end up in the bottom part of the tunnel, but moving may cause glitches when you reach that room as there's no roof in the room below.
I finished the "shock zone" and completed "the Gravitron" and then, when at the screen below, :viridian: moved automatically to the right until it became invisible. The script was triggered and I could press action to read the dialog. I also realized that the :viridian: cremate had cyan text boxes, they were above him/her... and I was using 2.0! I then pressed R. Theroom above showed (whitout the grav. lines, IIRC) and :viridian: was still invisible. This isn't the 1st time something like this happened to me after completing the Gravitron in a player level. In both this case and the other case, I didn't quick save, so I have to play the level again! :victoria: I've got to remember to quick save before playing a Gravitron in a player level. Did you even test the Gravitron and what happened after that?
Which of these glitches were made on purpose?

Hilbert

I'll have to get back to you later. Report cards came in!!

avengah

There's a problem when you become BIG. You get the nonsense in a text box - customposition(center) and all that crap. And I'm stuck. There are still five crew to save and I can't get back. A teleporter back to the previous split would be nice.

Hilbert

the text I can't help. How did you get stuck?

avengah

I got to the Jukebox bit and couldn't get back out to save the rest of the crew. There was a split at one point; I could either use a teleporter to go to a Veni Vidi Vici, or go up to a warp screen. This path eventually led to the jukebox area.

OK, now I've reached the teleporter to the Polar Dimension. I had to hold left while entering it. If you enter it without holding any direction, you float through the wall upwards when you arrive at the destination. I think you need to point that teleporter's destination slightly left of where it currently goes, to avoid this possibility.

As for the text nonsense when you become big, I think this can actually be avoided. It usually happens when internal scripting is used without a loadscript(stop) command. Without that, the game converts simplified script into internal script, and due to the glitch used to force the game to parse internal script, those converted commands end up in a text box. Yeah, to stop it you have to terminate the script yourself. I'm not the most knowledgeable about this, but I'm sure someone can help you with this.

Maybe ask FIQ? His level had a similar problem with the same text box. Here's the post I made bringing it to his attention: http://distractionware.com/forum/index.php?topic=1003.msg12093#msg12093

EDIT: Vemented SViral has a problem. You can go off the top of the screen into completely empty space, by going through the inversion planes at the junctions. You should put a block at the topmost junctions if you don't want this to happen. Oh, and the bottom of the screen into the ceiling of the room below too.

Oh, and finally I'm sure you're aware that the DIY V Repair terminal is seemingly optional. It doesn't do much really except flash and change the music. Maybe make it impossible to leave the room unless you use the terminal? Like putting a gravity line in the bottom, where the room name is so you can't see it, and removing it with the terminal?

EDIT 2: Before I forget, there are still one or two wall glitches in a couple of places. Hang on while I check the rooms... Simple Warp Technology (right exit, left entrance, that yellow block) and one other, hang on...  Vbbot and CosteVVo if you go right from too high up or low down. DIY V Repair, left exit on the top.

And what's the point in having the marker in the room above AAAAAA if it's not needed? I know it marks the point where you'll land on the lift, but all six spikes under the tunnel are fake, not just the two under that marker. And Well, Almost... has the cutscene bars glitch if you trigger the script more than once.

Very minor music glitch if you go through a warp, e.g. in the room called "Go Right!", then press R, which you might do if you accidentally enter the room with 4-directional warps early. The music doesn't go back to what it was before in the Go Right room. Is OTC (Optional Trinket Challenge) supposed to have two solutions? Either die once and get it the easy way, or die more times to get it the hard way, although technically it's possible to do it deathlessly the hard way.

The Name's Bond! is really awkward and luck-based. You're unlikely to fit in the gaps without taking several tries. You talk to Verdigris (and probably others too) when they're not there, e.g. after they've been rescued. "Where's my crewmate?" repeats too.

Vees of DEATH is glitchy if you enter from the top; you get stuck and have to slowly move right into the gap or press R.

Satellite is spelt Satellite, not Sattelite. That's it; I've thoroughly checked it and completed it 100% twice now. Please don't take this the wrong way; I'm only trying to help you make it look more professional! Thanks!

avengah

I tested a quickfix I thought of for the VVVVVVMan script. Basically, your script ends with the command undovvvvvvman. I added one extra command:

[dialogue]

say(-1)
text(1,0,0,4)
say(4)
vvvvvvman
delay(100)
undovvvvvvman
customiftrinkets(0,lastcrew2)

I also removed the lastcrew2 script box in that room. That way, lastcrew2 is automatically run after the vvvvvvman script, which means you don't get the dialogue rubbish. There were other things I thought were a bit off in this level, but I can't think of any more at the moment that I haven't already mentioned. I hope that helps!

Oh yeah... The NPC Viridian says "I'm you, but eternally sad." but he's smiling. If you don't want him to be smiling, replace all instances of happy and sad with happy(me) and sad(me), otherwise they'll affect NPC Viridian as well (see my post about happy and sad in the scripting commands topic).

There are cutscene bar problems at the top of the Veni Vidi Vici tunnel if it's your second or later time triggering the script box. The simple fix would be to have Viridian say something brief. The proper fix would be to rearrange the scripts so that the flag is checked in an otherwise empty script (i.e. a script that doesn't contain say or reply commands).