Author Topic: Time Trial tricks  (Read 2469 times)

Arthur

• Doctor
    • View Profile
Time Trial tricks
« on: July 25, 2012, 12:25:05 pm »
When thinking outside the box or being a ninja, you can win so much time!
Some weird tricks I found myself:
  • Linear Collider: slow down to flip before going to the next room. You can go below the enemy in the next room, saving more time than you've spent waiting!
  • Trench Warfare: drop-flip is your friend. No need to wait for the platform :vermillion:
  • Gordian Knot: if you're aiming at the V, you might be very frustrated by the whole level. BUT if you aim for the best V time, it's even worse! Drop-flip between the moving platforms, when they are going "up" relatively to  :viridian: and he/she is on the "lower" platform. If you've got a perfect timing, he/she gets flipped under the next platform, and you don't need to take the reversed conveyer, saving lots of time.
  • Vertigo: These enemies need a lot of waiting if you enter this room  the wrong way. But just flip twice in Television Newsveel, and you don't need to stop in these two rooms!
  • Solution is Dilution sequence: if you don't need to wait for a cloud to pass to drop off a cavity, you just need to stand a bit to get farther away from it! It wins some seconds on the total time.
  • Everywhere: try to hold the flip button a bit of time before you touch the ground. Viridian will immediately flip when he/she touches the ground! Nice to win some sub-second improvements :) It also works with the start timer, and it helps especially in the beggining of the final level.

blue626

• Captain
  • I changed my avatar!
    • View Profile
Re: Time Trial tricks
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 03:20:45 pm »
There already is a thread for this, but it's 2,5 years old (about a month after VVVVVV was released). I didn't find it yet. I read it. It had interesting ways to be faster. You can also learn by viewing Time Trial videos.

Here are more tricks that I found by doing those 2 things that I underlined:

• In "$eeing dollar $igns" you may go above the hole where the enemy passes after the enemy goes down.
  • In the room before "As you like it", you may go left after the last enemy has passed, or you may go right between two adjacent enemies, but the other way is faster.
  • In "On the Waterfront", after you touch the CP, flip, then, at the right time, flip while going forward. After touching the gravity line once, you land on the other platform.
  • EDIT: I still didn't do this: you can go from "Swoop" to "Spikes do!" without passing through the "What lies below?" challenge, dodging the spikes above and the "Lies". It's hard, though. END EDIT.

Another trick I discovered myself: In "Throny Exange" (I'm not sure if it's written that way), you may go right before touching the gravity line.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 03:26:04 pm by blue626 »

FIQ

• Captain
  • https://github.com/FredrIQ/
    • View Profile
    • FIQ
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 04:27:00 pm »
At Stop and Reflect, you can go from the first platform to the continuation ceiling.

blue626

• Captain
  • I changed my avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 05:15:14 pm »
  • Vertigo: These enemies need a lot of waiting if you enter this room  the wrong way. But just flip twice in Television Newsveel, and you don't need to stop in these two rooms!

Do you mean that if I do that trick, when I exit "Vertigo", I don't need to stop at "The Voon Show"?
EDIT: Oh, you mean "Television Newsveel" and "Vertigo". END EDIT.

At Stop and Reflect, you can go from the first platform to the continuation ceiling.

I already knew that from a Time Trial video. I forgot about it. It's hard, though.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 02:28:46 pm by blue626 »

blue626

• Captain
  • I changed my avatar!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 02:40:28 pm »
Bump! I bumped to show people another trick. It's different from the others:

In "The Tower", if you touch a CP (checkpoint) in the (approximately) top of the screen, and then die, the screen will scroll down instead of up, letting you reach the parts above faster. It's the only way to complete the Tower in <1:31. For obvious reasons, you can't get a V rank while doing this.

Dav999

• Global Moderator
  • Captain
    • View Profile
    • The Open Level Project
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 04:06:27 pm »
Bump! I bumped to show people another trick. It's different from the others:

In "The Tower", if you touch a CP (checkpoint) in the (approximately) top of the screen, and then die, the screen will scroll down instead of up, letting you reach the parts above faster. It's the only way to complete the Tower in <1:31. For obvious reasons, you can't get a V rank while doing this.

You can get way faster than 1:31, just not in a time trial. In the normal game, you can turn on invincibility, and push the ceiling up very fast. We should make a race out of it. What's the fastest time you can get? :vermillion: