Internal commands

Started by Hilbert, July 28, 2012, 01:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FIQ

Quote from: RibShark on October 20, 2012, 09:36:52 AM
Quote from: FIQ on October 20, 2012, 01:21:48 AM
How about Mac users? Are you just going to ignore them in case you do a level with internal commands?

Dav999 will be very happy when he hears about it ;)

You ever heard of WINE? Well, VVVVVV 2.1 runs fine on it.
I use Wine myself (on Linux) and told Dav999 about it. He didn't want to use it to run vvvvvv2.1, and it would feel very wrong to do personally just to get some extra features..

allison

Quote from: Dav999 on October 20, 2012, 05:01:46 PM
Quote from: crazyal02 on October 20, 2012, 02:43:12 PM
Quote from: RibShark on October 20, 2012, 09:36:52 AM
Quote from: FIQ on October 20, 2012, 01:21:48 AM
How about Mac users? Are you just going to ignore them in case you do a level with internal commands?

Dav999 will be very happy when he hears about it ;)

You ever heard of WINE? Well, VVVVVV 2.1 runs fine on it.

So, WINE supports converting Windows patches into Mac ones? Or is there some other way to run VVVVVV 2.1 without the 2.0 or whatever .exe or .app?

No, it runs Windows programs, so it runs the .exe. It doesn't convert it into a .app, or to a patch of a .app.

My point is, unless I'm missing something big, the 2.1 update is a patch that won't run by itself, so I would need some way to run it, as there is (as many have complained about, including me) no Mac patch.

RibShark

Quote from: crazyal02 on October 21, 2012, 02:48:26 AM
My point is, unless I'm missing something big, the 2.1 update is a patch that won't run by itself, so I would need some way to run it, as there is (as many have complained about, including me) no Mac patch.

1) Install Wine
2) Install VVVVVV 2.0 using Wine.
3) Find the directory Wine places the C:\ drive (I don't know where it is on a mac).
4) Place the patch files in that directory.
5) ...
6) Profit!

allison

Quote from: RibShark on October 21, 2012, 08:15:40 AM

1) Install Wine
3) Find the directory Wine places the C:\ drive (I don't know where it is on a mac).
5) ...
6) Profit!

Oops I should have been more clear. It seems that I would have to re-buy VVVVVV to get 2.0...

Hmm...  :verdigris:

FIQ

Quote from: crazyal02 on October 21, 2012, 02:17:19 PM

1) Install Wine
5) ...
6) Profit!

Oops I should have been more clear. It seems that I would have to re-buy VVVVVV to get 2.0...

Where did you buy it?

If you don't have access to the Windows build, Terry is probably happy to help.

The "patch" is just an .exe, replace the VVVVVV 2.0 .exe that you get and you have 2.1 installed.

allison

Quote from: FIQ on October 21, 2012, 02:44:24 PM

1) Install Wine
5) ...
6) Profit!

Where did you buy it?

The "patch" is just an .exe, replace the VVVVVV 2.0 .exe that you get and you have 2.1 installed.

So wait, the solution has been under my nose the whole time and I can just download the 2.1 .exe and run it under Wine?  :-[

FIQ

Quote from: crazyal02 on October 22, 2012, 12:09:55 AM

1) Install Wine
5) ...
6) Profit!

Where did you buy it?

So wait, the solution has been under my nose the whole time and I can just download the 2.1 .exe and run it under Wine?  :-[
As long as you have a 2.0 windows install.

allison

Quote from: FIQ on October 22, 2012, 12:39:41 AM

1) Install Wine
5) ...
6) Profit!

Where did you buy it?

And so, we have my problem. I only have the Mac install, not the Windows install.

FIQ

Quote from: crazyal02 on October 23, 2012, 12:33:34 PM
Quote from: FIQ on October 22, 2012, 12:39:41 AM

1) Install Wine
5) ...
6) Profit!

Where did you buy it?

And so, we have my problem. I only have the Mac install, not the Windows install.
You can do it with a Mac install too, as you have the data directory (the only unavailable thing here).

VVVVVV need some libraries to work, all publicly accessible on the web (the data files however aren't, obviously).

You should need these:
[632][fiq@fiq /win_drive/Program_x86/Steam/steamapps/common/vvvvvv]$ ls
data/          libpng12-0.dll*   libvorbisfile-3.dll*  readme.txt*  SDL_image.dll*  stdout.txt*  zlib1.dll*
libogg-0.dll*  libvorbis-0.dll*  mikmod.dll*           SDL.dll*     SDL_mixer.dll*  VVVVVV.exe*

Create a directory, name it whatever you want, "vvvvvv" or something.
Copy (or move, if you want to get rid of your mac install - not recommended...) your data directory inside the newly created folder like this: vvvvvv/data

Download the DLL files in the list above, should be easy to find by googling on them.

Place the VVVVVV 2.1 .exe in the folder

Run the game.

EDIT: The Windows version of VVVVVV is only available in 32-bit IIRC. Therefore, make sure you have the 32-bit version of the libraries.

Windows version of VVVVVV store levels and saves in the user's "my documents" folder like this:
<My Documents>/VVVVVV/(levelname)
<My Documents>/VVVVVV/Saves/(levelname/tsave/qsave/unlock).vvv

So if you want to move your levels and saves, place them in this format. In linux, they're stored the "opposite" way, a .vvvvvv directory with saves, and a directory inside named "levels" where the levels go. I don't know how they're stored in Mac, but make sure that you swap directory structure if necessary.

You might also run into an issue regarding a white screen when VVVVVV start up (screen is white, but game is responsive). If you stumble upon this, refer to the topic in the "Tech Support" forum for my solution.

If you find this way too complicated, just mail Terry and he'll help you for sure (if you have bought the game, obviously :P)

Dav999

Uuhm... Isn't that a handy post for pirates? :o

FIQ

Quote from: Dav999 on October 23, 2012, 04:04:37 PM
Uuhm... Isn't that a handy post for pirates? :o
Not at all.
The only thing they have to do really is to download the datafiles. Heck, the Pandora version of VVVVVV ships with game binaries AND libs, and asks for the same -- the data directory.

If Terry feels different, feel free to delete my post.

Anyway...

If you play around with scripts and especially iftrinkets(0,script), and it somehow makes the script not run AT ALL -- please note this:

Name: script
iftrinkets(0,do0)

Name: do0
ifflag(1,do1)
ifflag(2,do2)
iftrinkets(0,do3)

Name: do1
say

Name: do2
say

Name: do3
say

will do *NOTHING*. Not the expected -- output 3 (assuming flag 1 isn't set and flag 2 isn't set.

This can be worked around (for some weird reason) by modifying do0 into this:

Name: do0
ifflag(1,do1)
ifflag(2,do2)
iftrinkets(0,do3)
ifflag(work,around)

(What ifflag() contains is irrelevant, it will never trigger, but will for some reason "fix" the bug. Any ideas why?)

Dav999

Oh, I also got that problem with redirecting to other scripts, when they were too long. iftrinkets(0,script) didn't work when it was at the end, and after a long time, I fixed it by placing a say command after that, saying an error has occurred (only if it won't redirect for some reason)

Oh, and I don't think you -need- readme.txt :P

FIQ

Quote from: Dav999 on October 23, 2012, 09:13:07 PM
Oh, I also got that problem with redirecting to other scripts, when they were too long. iftrinkets(0,script) didn't work when it was at the end, and after a long time, I fixed it by placing a say command after that, saying an error has occurred (only if it won't redirect for some reason)

Oh, and I don't think you -need- readme.txt :P
I said download the .dll files specified, I didn't even mention the text files. :P

Dav999

Quote from: FIQ on October 23, 2012, 03:22:51 PM
You should need these:
[632][fiq@fiq /win_drive/Program_x86/Steam/steamapps/common/vvvvvv]$ ls
data/          libpng12-0.dll*   libvorbisfile-3.dll*  readme.txt*  SDL_image.dll*  stdout.txt*  zlib1.dll*
libogg-0.dll*  libvorbis-0.dll*  mikmod.dll*           SDL.dll*     SDL_mixer.dll*  VVVVVV.exe*

readme.txt*.

ToasterApocalypse

Err... Ok. I still check this thread for commands and stuff. I think we've discussed all of them.

Lets discuss changetile again.