Internal commands

Started by Hilbert, July 28, 2012, 01:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FIQ

Quote from: Dav999 on August 19, 2012, 08:51:26 AM
Quote from: FIQ on August 18, 2012, 09:58:31 PM
Quote from: Dav999 on August 18, 2012, 09:03:23 PM
Quote from: FIQ on August 18, 2012, 08:41:22 PM
The only reason of him fixing the glitch is if he also creates a new command with the only purpose of running internal scripts, "internal(N)", or something like that. Otherwise, removing it wouldn't make any sense.

That would make the level incompatible with 2.0, and a number of lines would be a little bit inconvenient, because if you have a lot of internal commands, you have to count all the lines. Something like putting all internal commands between [] would be very useful, or even an advanced mode. In that case, putting all internal commands between [] would be a perfect solution, because some people may be too lazy to write 'squeak(x) text(x,x,x,x) Bla bla bla position(x,x) speak_active' again and again, so it would look something like this:

say
You will teleport now.
flash
[
changeplayercolour(teleporter)
]
sad
Wait, what? No!
[
flash(5)
playef(10)
hideplayer()
delay(15)
fadeout()
untilfade()
]
etc.

Note, {} would be more perfect, but then you will have to put it between ö and Á :P.
True.

Also, I don't believe 2.0 compatibility is a problem once 2.1 is a stable version that also work with OSX. :P

Also, say() with lines >5 already breaks 2.0 compatibility :P

Also, "internal_start()" and "internal_end()" commands would be even better than [] I think.

[] is only one character, so you can easily recognize them compared to other commands. internal_start() and internal_end() are approximately the same length as the other commands, so it is harder to see what is internal scripting and what is not.

EDIT: 11 pages, 150 posts! This will become 1st one day :vermillion:
The reason that I prefer internal_start()/internal_end() is that it maintains the usual VVVVVVscript style instead of creating a new scary syntax :P

blue626

Quote from: Dav999 on August 18, 2012, 08:08:58 PM
Quote from: blue626 on August 18, 2012, 07:23:36 PM
I think he doesn't care, though. He could have erased locked this topic weeks ago. You may test internal scripting and use it in levels. I'm sure those levels won't get featured in Terry's blog, though.

When was the last featured level? Does Terry still feature levels?

The last featured level was "Deja Verdigris" by Ciolf, featured in Nov. 2011, but created in Sep. 2011 (Terry waited for Ciolf to update the level, but he/she didn't update).
He did feature a level with internal scripting: "Rescuing Violet" by stalefish. He already did say "Don't: exploit glitches" on "How to get a level featured", but I believe that's the only level with int. scripting that got and will get featured ever.
For some reason the best levels were the first and the amount of levels finished per month (or week or any time) became smaller. That's why there isn't a featured level for 10 months.

Terry may even remove the glitch in 2.1 (stable).

I don't think he would remove it, because the only thing you will gain from it is that some really nice levels will be broken. I understand why the say(6) # say(5) # [internal x4] exploit was fixed, because the say command had to support more than 5 lines, so that it doesn't glitch if you use more. I don't see why the say(-1) would need to be removed. It's just not logical.

I think he doesn't care, though. He could have erased locked this topic weeks ago. You may test internal scripting and use it in levels. I'm sure those levels won't get featured in Terry's blog, though.

Also, Terry did like your "Dimension Of Secrets" which, obviously, featured internal scripting. :P

The only reason of him fixing the glitch is if he also creates a new command with the only purpose of running internal scripts, "internal(N)", or something like that. Otherwise, removing it wouldn't make any sense.

He could have liked the level, without considering the internal scripting. Perhaps he could have featured the level if it didn't have any of it, but I don't know, he said he would only feature the best of the best.

I think that advanced scripting was planned for 2.2. Perhaps it would be the same as internal scripting. If creating a command like that wasn't easy, then he (or who is working on 2.1.) would probably not do it and would not erase the glitch, then.

EDIT: I suggest, in the int. command list, coloring green the safe commands, and in black the ones you don't know how to color.
I don't understand what change tile() does.

FIQ

Quote from: blue626 on August 19, 2012, 07:20:29 PM

The last featured level was "Deja Verdigris" by Ciolf, featured in Nov. 2011, but created in Sep. 2011 (Terry waited for Ciolf to update the level, but he/she didn't update).
He did feature a level with internal scripting: "Rescuing Violet" by stalefish. He already did say "Don't: exploit glitches" on "How to get a level featured", but I believe that's the only level with int. scripting that got and will get featured ever.
For some reason the best levels were the first and the amount of levels finished per month (or week or any time) became smaller. That's why there isn't a featured level for 10 months.

Terry may even remove the glitch in 2.1 (stable).

I don't think he would remove it, because the only thing you will gain from it is that some really nice levels will be broken. I understand why the say(6) # say(5) # [internal x4] exploit was fixed, because the say command had to support more than 5 lines, so that it doesn't glitch if you use more. I don't see why the say(-1) would need to be removed. It's just not logical.

Also, Terry did like your "Dimension Of Secrets" which, obviously, featured internal scripting. :P

He could have liked the level, without considering the internal scripting. Perhaps he could have featured the level if it didn't have any of it, but I don't know, he said he would only feature the best of the best.

I think that advanced scripting was planned for 2.2. Perhaps it would be the same as internal scripting. If creating a command like that wasn't easy, then he (or who is working on 2.1.) would probably not do it and would not erase the glitch, then.
I guess that he would simply allow more internal commands to be progressed to the simple scripting parser, perhaps making some of the more "techy" internal commands as dumbed-down simpler simple commands. Things like he already did with the simplified flash() (flash(5)|playef(9)|shake(20))

EDIT: Also, I believe Stalefish' level was featured because he did something new - exploited the script parser. At least, that's what he said on his blog. :P

Dav999

In the thread about the level Rescuing Violet, Terry said that he wouldn't like more people to use this say(6) exploit, because he knew this would be broken in the next patch. I don't think he cares anymore about it now, because he won't fix something that doesn't need to be fixed. People needed say(5+) for more text, so that glitch had to be removed. But why would say(-1) need to be fixed? So people can write their text above the say command instead of below? Also, I don't think Terry features levels anymore. VVVVVV is a bit old now, and now he's more focused on the newer games.

Quote from: blue626 link=topic=1089.msg9249#msg9249 date=1345404029

changetile(colour) changes the sprite of a crewmate to another sprite from sprites.png. You can change it to things like yes men, stop heads, terminals and checkpoints, while keeping the colour. For some reason, the sprites are different if the face direction was different, or if the crewmates were flipped.

blue626

Quote from: Dav999 on August 19, 2012, 09:18:12 PM
Also, I don't think Terry features levels anymore. VVVVVV is a bit old now, and now he's more focused on the newer games.

Why? He still reads this forum sometimes. So, he still plays some levels and see which are good enough to feature. The important reasons the aren't featured levels are these:
For some reason the best levels were the first and the amount of levels finished per month (or week or any time) became smaller.

The reason for the first levels being the best is that featured levels are normally original and lots of ideas have been used.
Yes, Terry is probably is working on Super Hexagon, now, and that's why I wrote this:

If creating a command like that wasn't easy, then he (or who is working on 2.1.) would probably not do it and would not erase the glitch, then.

changetile(colour) changes the sprite of a crewmate to another sprite from sprites.png. You can change it to things like yes men, stop heads, terminals and checkpoints, while keeping the colour. For some reason, the sprites are different if the face direction was different, or if the crewmates were flipped.

So, another unused command?

EDIT: Did you know that your post was the 4000th in this board?

FIQ

In the thread about the level Rescuing Violet, Terry said that he wouldn't like more people to use this say(6) exploit, because he knew this would be broken in the next patch. I don't think he cares anymore about it now, because he won't fix something that doesn't need to be fixed. People needed say(5+) for more text, so that glitch had to be removed. But why would say(-1) need to be fixed? So people can write their text above the say command instead of below? Also, I don't think Terry features levels anymore. VVVVVV is a bit old now, and now he's more focused on the newer games.

changemood() isn't realible if the crewmate is flipped as it chooses the wrong sprite. changetile() is used as substitute for changemood() for Victoria (as she's flipped in the trinket room).

Dav999

Quote from: blue626 on August 20, 2012, 10:43:02 AM
Also, I don't think Terry features levels anymore. VVVVVV is a bit old now, and now he's more focused on the newer games.

Why? He still reads this forum sometimes. So, he still plays some levels and see which are good enough to feature. The important reasons the aren't featured levels are these:
For some reason the best levels were the first and the amount of levels finished per month (or week or any time) became smaller.

The reason for the first levels being the best is that featured levels are normally original and lots of ideas have been used.
Yes, Terry is probably is working on Super Hexagon, now, and that's why I wrote this:

If creating a command like that wasn't easy, then he (or who is working on 2.1.) would probably not do it and would not erase the glitch, then.

I often look at Who's Online, and when Terry is online, he's always viewing the board index for some reason.

So, another unused command?

I don't know if it was unused, maybe it was used in some occasions to make crewmates sad if changemood() didn't work (when they are flipped, for example)

EDIT: Did you know that your post was the 4000th in this board?

We have something to celebrate today, because this post is the 8530th 8531st post in the forum!

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post. >:( Dammit!

ToasterApocalypse

Quote from: Dav999 on August 20, 2012, 11:37:39 AM
Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

I wonder why that happens.

ON TOPIC: Does the second metadata of ID25 change the colour of certain trophies?

FIQ

Quote from: ToasterApocolypse on August 20, 2012, 12:31:44 PM
Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

ON TOPIC: Does the second metadata of ID25 change the colour of certain trophies?
25 uses the following
meta 1: sprite (0 or 1 is the relevant ones in proper usage)
meta 2: the exact trophy, note that it will only show up if you've actually collected the trophy.

blue626

We have something to celebrate today, because this post is the 8530th 8531st post in the forum!

??? That number isn't important... is that a joke or something? It doesn't seem one.

Isn't it obvious? The new post could affect your post, for example: you mint want to reply to that post, or that post ight have info that you wrote, thus, you would want to erase it.
Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post. >:( Dammit!

It isn't THAT annoying (well, at least for me). Besides, it's a sign that this thread is active, isn't it?

ToasterApocalypse

Quote from: blue626 on August 20, 2012, 02:58:40 PM

??? That number isn't important... is that a joke or something? It doesn't seem one.

Isn't it obvious? The new post could affect your post, for example: you mint want to reply to that post, or that post ight have info that you wrote, thus, you would want to erase it.

It isn't THAT annoying (well, at least for me). Besides, it's a sign that this thread is active, isn't it?

I guess.

Dav999

It is because you just wrote a post, and are ready to send it... And someone else posted something before you, so you can go change you post again. And once you changed it, someone else has already posted something so your post gets old. It is especially annoying when I go to this forum on my iPod, because if I type here for some time, the browser crashes. :victoria: So I have to click quote, copy everything over to notes, make my post there, copy everything over to the forum, and preview. And that when I get that message.

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post. How fitting. And it is nice to see this forum is active, but you shouldn't constantly have to change your post. I didn't change this post, though.

Dav999

On topic:

I'm thinking about making an internal scripting tutorial! Anyone interested in learning how to use internal scripting?

ToasterApocalypse

Quote from: Dav999 on August 20, 2012, 06:52:20 PM
On topic:

I'm thinking about making an internal scripting tutorial! Anyone interested in learning how to use internal scripting?

I already know how, but learning tilecol can actually 'improve' polar dimensions

Dav999

Quote from: ToasterApocolypse on August 20, 2012, 07:06:23 PM
Quote from: Dav999 on August 20, 2012, 06:52:20 PM
On topic:

I already know how, but learning tilecol can actually 'improve' polar dimensions

Quote from: FIQ on August 14, 2012, 09:54:57 PM
tilecol(x) - doesn't exists