Language

Started by Dav999, August 11, 2012, 08:18:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dav999

I got a weird question/something I found out. I changed the language to British English today to see what was the difference, and I saw there was something new when I viewed my profile, it said that I used the language 'English British'. When I changed it back, it was still there, this time with 'English'. So, why do you get a new item in your profile if you change the language? It's a bit strange. I've seen someone else have this item already (not sure who it was)

Bearboy

The regular English is America I think, Britain has a few differences. I.e. trash=rubbish dessert=pudding and bathroom=toilet.

I'm not too sure if this is the correct answer or not, but it just might.

Dav999

Well, there are some notable changes in word order, removal of words like 'This is' and other small things like wouldn't and would not:

Why would they change the word order everywhere? :D Shouldn't it be the same?

EDIT: This could be a nice topic to collect any differences in the language :viridian:

Dav999

Another one:

American English:

British English:

Topic you have posted in/Topic in which you have posted. Also note the 'More' in American English and the 'more' in British English.

Bearboy

There are so many small differences.
:o

Dav999

Find all the differences! :viridian:

American English:

British English:

blue626

Quote from: Dav999 on August 12, 2012, 10:54:16 AM
Find all the differences! :viridian:

American English:

British English:

American: By
British: by

American: 0 minutes.
British: 0 minutes

I'm not sure, but I think it should make differences while writing.
Example: when I write "colour" (British English) it autocorrects to "color" (American English). I didn't change the language on my profile. Perhaps if I change my profile language to Britsh English, it does the opposite.
There might be other differences, but I'm not sure.
I discovered that it considers the following words as words (it doesn't underline them): gonna, wanna. They aren't words (at least in British English).

I don't know why it changes the order of words, capital letters and some words in some places.

EDIT: A bit off-topic, but I discovered that when I write abbreviations, like btw, it considers them as words. That's good.

Dav999

I do not live in an English speaking country, so you might have noticed I have used both color and colour and I have even mixed it up in one post:

Quote from: Dav999 on August 11, 2012, 08:36:22 PMMaybe he wanted to change the colour to something else and then realized it wasn't appropriate and change the text to 'black' instead of removing the tags.

It doesn't matter for me, that's why ::)

Hilbert

Quote from: Dav999 on August 12, 2012, 03:52:31 PM
I do not live in an English speaking country, so you might have noticed I have used both color and colour and I have even mixed it up in one post:

Quote from: Dav999 on August 11, 2012, 08:36:22 PMMaybe he wanted to change the colour to something else and then realized it wasn't appropriate and change the text to 'black' instead of removing the tags.

I'm with you. I live in Canada, but I was born in the us, so I have a tendency to use color a lot instead of colour.

Dav999

Quote from: RoskillaHULK!! on August 12, 2012, 04:05:21 PM
Quote from: Dav999 on August 12, 2012, 03:52:31 PM

I'm with you. I live in Canada, but I was born in the us, so I have a tendency to use color a lot instead of colour.

Is it colour in Canada? I didn't know.

Still, you live in a country in which English is an official language. In the Netherlands, it is not. And English is your first language, and my second language.

Whirligig

The "you wouldn't" versus "as you would not" difference makes sense to me, but that's probably just my stereotypical thinking that British people would speak more formally. And Dav999, I give people credit who speak English that well as a second language, given how hard a language it must be to learn.

Dav999

I don't think it's that hard, because if it was, why would it be a world language?

Bearboy

Quote from: Dav999 on August 13, 2012, 08:06:05 AM
I don't think it's that hard, because if it was, why would it be a world language?
I think English is one of the easiest languages to learn.
What was your first language then?

Dav999

Quote from: Bearboy on August 13, 2012, 10:15:10 AM

Dutch.

Quote from: Bearboy on August 13, 2012, 10:15:10 AM

And it still is my first language :P