Moving save data to Steam version

Started by emol, September 08, 2010, 07:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emol

Hey! I just bought the Steam release of VVVVVV and I was wondering if there is a way to get the save data to this version.
So... Terry? someone? Any ideas?

Terry

Ah, yeah, it should be possible! :viridian:

So the three save files are called "dwvvvvvv_tele.sol" (the teleporter save), "dwvvvvvv_quick.sol" (the quicksave) and "dwvvvvvv_unlock.sol" (which stores non-game specific stats and settings). They're going to be located somewhere in a hidden application settings folder, which is where flash stores stuff. The exact folder it uses depends on where you're running the game from, so to find it, I suggest playing the steam version once so that it creates just an "unlock" file, then searching your computer for that. The folder with just that unlock file is the steam folder, the other one with a telesave and possibly a quicksave will be your normal one. Just copy those files over the ones in the steam folder, and that should do it!

emol

Nice! It should have worked if I just made a backup of the save data in some moment  :( I think I used some application that deleted the flash cache and, guess what?! All my VVVVVV progress vanished foreveeeeeeerr! FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUU-  :'(
Well, at least, I think this could be a good reason to play the whole game gain. Thanks Terry!

adrive

Quote from: Terry on September 08, 2010, 07:48:27 PM
Ah, yeah, it should be possible! :viridian:

So the three save files are called "dwvvvvvv_tele.sol" (the teleporter save), "dwvvvvvv_quick.sol" (the quicksave) and "dwvvvvvv_unlock.sol" (which stores non-game specific stats and settings). They're going to be located somewhere in a hidden application settings folder, which is where flash stores stuff. The exact folder it uses depends on where you're running the game from, so to find it, I suggest playing the steam version once so that it creates just an "unlock" file, then searching your computer for that. The folder with just that unlock file is the steam folder, the other one with a telesave and possibly a quicksave will be your normal one. Just copy those files over the ones in the steam folder, and that should do it!

terry, i think with this, you should be able to use steam cloud to store the save files!!

roboBootz

Steam Cloud would be the perfect way to handle save files with this... except... I don't think he can decide where the game saves, considering it's a Flash game, so he'd have to either find a way to make Steam Cloud pick up this random save location information and copy the save files, or he'd have to re-write the game in something other than Flash so he has more control over it.

Which, a re-write would be quite the endeavor, BUT! VVVVVVv2 would be brilliant in that it would allow for..........

Save files that DON'T get wiped with your LSO cache
Save files that can be synced with Steam Cloud
Steam Achievements and Leaderboards
Custom maps and campaigns
(and loads of other things, I'm sure).

...Yeah. THAT would be pimp. :D

MoogiGMD

bump time :(

i used to have the Original...my save was copied and my save was destroyed for some reason? what could this be terry?

FIQ

Quote from: Hacker3443 on September 08, 2012, 07:04:40 PM
bump time :(

i used to have the Original...my save was copied and my save was destroyed for some reason? what could this be terry?
The save format was changed with the 2.0 release. Try this: http://distractionware.com/forum/index.php?topic=474.0