My 1st level: The Jaunt.

Started by Flushex, October 21, 2012, 11:22:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flushex

Quote from: SomniRespiratory Flux on October 28, 2012, 11:58:48 PM
Huh. I honestly didn't think to do that. Makes some sense. It took me long enough to reach the warp, and I guess I never considered the wrapping to work only going down, even though it happens a lot. The level is quite nice, all things considered. I did get Victor out of there, as well. I'm sure he appreciates it.

Yeah. I guess I was hoping that people would remember seeing the Facility trinket at the bottom of the room so that as they were progressing, they would pay attention to map layout and wait until they got to the room directly underneath the Facility, and figure out a way to get to it. I could take it out honestly. It was an afterthought.

I'm glad you beat it. Just out of curiosity, what would you say was the hardest room (It took me the better part of an hour to beat Stepping Things Up when I first created it, but you had no mention of that room), and what would you say was the easiest room? Also, was the story too weird? VVVVVV is such a funny game, and most of the player levels are funny too, so I thought I'd try to be a little different and make it a little more "dark" maybe (watching the gradual descent into insanity from the person you're trying to rescue). The level name, after all, is based on my favorite Stephen King short story.

Pyrite

Flushex

Dav999

SomniRespiratory Flux

Quote from: Dav999 on October 29, 2012, 07:42:14 PM
Quote from: Flushex on October 29, 2012, 07:19:14 PM
Quote from: manofperson on October 29, 2012, 02:34:15 PM
Rioshoa gave up on this level :vermillion:

I hope not!

Watch the video, it's actually true! :vermillion:

Wow.  :vitellary: I would say it was a tough level, but not that tough. I suppose I didn't attempt it all in one try, so that might make a difference.

As for the easiest and hardest rooms, I don't particularly know what to say for the easiest room. There were some that were much easier than others, but I don't quite know what to say was the easiest. Flippity Floppity Flu does come to mind rather quickly as easier than most rooms, if only because not a whole lot was going on in the room. For the hard rooms, again, I wouldn't know which to objectively say was the hardest. Stepping Things Up I would agree was tricky, but I didn't get stuck there like with some other rooms. I was on Basejumping for a little while, not so much from the difficulty as for the precision involved. I think Conveying Frustration gave me the most trouble in some ways. I think the most deaths for me came in the segment from Cavern Entrance to The Facility, but mostly from attempting to get the trinket the wrong ways. And the trinket placements are all fine, I just wasn't focusing too much on getting them after a while. The story was interesting, and worked well in some ways. It was darker than most levels I've seen, but there have been others with dark or otherwise gloomy story elements. The terminals did a good job of showing the loss of sanity, and towards the end started to get almost scary, if not genuinely so. I suppose it's subjective, but I was a little uneasy. All in all, good job on the level. I enjoyed the design and the story, and anticipate more in the future.

Flushex

I hope not!

I found the video, and you are right haha. He made it so far though! I thought his commentary was absolutely hilarious. I really enjoyed watching it. I also decided to make several tweaks to make the level easier, an have uploaded that easier version for people in the future. It's a shame because I actually like the second half of the map better than the first, and barely anyone has gotten to see that half.

Quote from: SomniRespiratory Flux on October 29, 2012, 08:57:28 PM

I hope not!

Wow.  :vitellary: I would say it was a tough level, but not that tough. I suppose I didn't attempt it all in one try, so that might make a difference.

As for the easiest and hardest rooms, I don't particularly know what to say for the easiest room. There were some that were much easier than others, but I don't quite know what to say was the easiest. Flippity Floppity Flu does come to mind rather quickly as easier than most rooms, if only because not a whole lot was going on in the room. For the hard rooms, again, I wouldn't know which to objectively say was the hardest. Stepping Things Up I would agree was tricky, but I didn't get stuck there like with some other rooms. I was on Basejumping for a little while, not so much from the difficulty as for the precision involved. I think Conveying Frustration gave me the most trouble in some ways. I think the most deaths for me came in the segment from Cavern Entrance to The Facility, but mostly from attempting to get the trinket the wrong ways. And the trinket placements are all fine, I just wasn't focusing too much on getting them after a while. The story was interesting, and worked well in some ways. It was darker than most levels I've seen, but there have been others with dark or otherwise gloomy story elements. The terminals did a good job of showing the loss of sanity, and towards the end started to get almost scary, if not genuinely so. I suppose it's subjective, but I was a little uneasy. All in all, good job on the level. I enjoyed the design and the story, and anticipate more in the future.

I have made adjustments, since you have been the only one besides me to beat the map. My most updated version has tweaks to make some of the frustrating parts much easier. This of course is irrelevant to you as you have already conquered the level! But hopefully people in the future will benefit from it.

Rioshoa

Well I was gonna post and advertise my channel and your level but it appears someone beat me to it :p.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, and sorry I didn't get through it.  Well, to save you trouble:

Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC6hTCEW9bM
Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBZibLyDXbA
Part 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUGvLyUwFNE

And feel free to roam my channel, and all that jazz all the same: http://www.youtube.com/Rioshoa

avengah

So as not to hijack the other thread, was the checkpoint after the second trinket deliberately designed so that you can't go back up? Or was that an accident?

Also, the challenge for the second trinket has two solutions. I think the intended solution is to go down, hit the narrow gravline at the bottom, then hit the one on the right to go to the lower screen. The alternative solution is to completely skip both inversion planes by going right and down so that you enter the lower screen just to the right of the vertical line. I wouldn't bother changing it, though; that second solution is much harder than the intended route - you're left with much less time to react and I often hit the spikes on the right if I attempt this method.

Flushex

Quote from: avengah on November 22, 2012, 09:05:33 PM
So as not to hijack the other thread, was the checkpoint after the second trinket deliberately designed so that you can't go back up? Or was that an accident?

That was intentional, as I was well aware that you could not backtrack from the Facility. However, since then I have decided that I think not allowing backtracking is bad level design (I made the Jaunt a while ago), and I will probably change it in my next update (I won't bump the thread when I do, I just want to clean it up for any people who download it in the future).

Quote from: avengah on November 22, 2012, 09:05:33 PM

Also, the challenge for the second trinket has two solutions. I think the intended solution is to go down, hit the narrow gravline at the bottom, then hit the one on the right to go to the lower screen. The alternative solution is to completely skip both inversion planes by going right and down so that you enter the lower screen just to the right of the vertical line. I wouldn't bother changing it, though; that second solution is much harder than the intended route - you're left with much less time to react and I often hit the spikes on the right if I attempt this method.

It's funny you describe the alternative solution, because I'm looking at the room now, and I'm implementing in my mind your description of the second route, and I had dismissed that route as virtually impossible when I created the level (bypassing both grav lines). If you actually managed to get to the lower room that way I'm impressed.

So no, it was intended to be a one route solution (perhaps I should make that more obvious?)

In any case, I have significantly reduced the challenge of trinket two since your initial feedback in the Switchback thread, so it shouldn't be a problem (I also fixed trinket 3 based on your comments. Room is the same, but no more glitch).

Do you have any non-trinket related issues with the level I could address?

ToasterApocalypse

The enemy in 'leap of faith' is gone. Was that one of the nerf tweaks?

Flushex

Quote from: ToasterApocalypse on November 23, 2012, 01:06:14 PM
The enemy in 'leap of faith' is gone. Was that one of the nerf tweaks?

Yeah. In his video playthrough, Rioshoa died like 80 times in that room.

Damn It AL to Hell

Good level, very nice and moderate in difficulty. X Marks the Spot was a bit difficult to navigate through, but still fun. 9.2/10  :viridian:

Flushex

Quote from: Vex69 on November 23, 2012, 07:57:39 PM
Good level, very nice and moderate in difficulty. X Marks the Spot was a bit difficult to navigate through, but still fun. 9.2/10  :viridian:

Cool! Glad you liked it.  You might like my other one too. I think it's better.

Damn It AL to Hell

Quote from: Flushex on November 23, 2012, 10:09:02 PM
Quote from: Vex69 on November 23, 2012, 07:57:39 PM

Cool! Glad you liked it.  You might like my other one too. I think it's better.

Alright, I'll chack it out. :)

ToasterApocalypse

I got pretty annoyed the first time I beat Spice of Life, because I glitched through a wall in the room above and got spiked.  :violet: