Editing levels manually with the .vvvvvv file

Started by ToasterApocalypse, October 30, 2012, 07:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FIQ

Quote from: crazyal02 on December 01, 2012, 04:38:02 PM
Setting the tileset to an invalid number (like 20 or something) is a bit weird. First, when loading the room, it looks exactly the same as it did before you changed the tileset (but with Space Station background). Placing walls will give you cyan solid-colored tiles (like the evil one in Doing Things the Hard Way, except cyan). Backing looks the same, but green. Spikes are Space Station style, and always point up. Enemies, platforms, etc. look blue. Changing colors does nothing.
As apparently the level editor *does* have a tower tileset (apparently from looking the strings in a hex editor, "Now using Tower Tileset"), I once tried to set tileset="5". Well, nothing happened (or rather, same as you described happened).

allison

Quote from: FIQ on December 01, 2012, 10:33:43 PM
Setting the tileset to an invalid number (like 20 or something) is a bit weird. First, when loading the room, it looks exactly the same as it did before you changed the tileset (but with Space Station background). Placing walls will give you cyan solid-colored tiles (like the evil one in Doing Things the Hard Way, except cyan). Backing looks the same, but green. Spikes are Space Station style, and always point up. Enemies, platforms, etc. look blue. Changing colors does nothing.
As apparently the level editor *does* have a tower tileset (apparently from looking the strings in a hex editor, "Now using Tower Tileset")

Sadly, all this tells us is that the editor was supposed to have one... :victoria:

FIQ

Quote from: crazyal02 on December 01, 2012, 10:47:05 PM
As apparently the level editor *does* have a tower tileset (apparently from looking the strings in a hex editor, "Now using Tower Tileset")

Sadly, all this tells us is that the editor was supposed to have one... :victoria:
Using tower tileset would be neat, even if towermode itself was unavailable :P (because then I could replicate Teleporter Divot properly in Back to VVVVVV)

Tower levels was supposed to be in 2.2, I suppose it would even be in 2.0 if there was enough time for it.

Dav999

Or... Maybe it tells us that there's indeed a tower tileset in the level editor, which can be exploited. ;)

FIQ

Quote from: Dav999 on December 01, 2012, 10:54:48 PM

Or... Maybe it tells us that there's indeed a tower tileset in the level editor, which can be exploited. ;)
tileset="10" has different behaviour compared to every other number you throw in, assuming you're using 2.1. Don't know if it's exclusive to the windows version (some exploits are OS exclusive), but for me it shows the SS tileset while when running the level show the secondary tileset (never the ternary though, i.e. tower tileset)

In windows, you can actually access the secondary tileset from the primary (SS) one by using specific numbers as tiles (hint: try tile 2300 and you'll see what I mean, and also these tiles are all transparent). However, I don't know if this works outside the windows version, or if it can be used to access tower tileset (it should be able to, if you bruteforce enough).

ToasterApocalypse

Quote from: FIQ on December 01, 2012, 11:32:41 PM
Quote from: Dav999 on December 01, 2012, 10:54:48 PM

tileset="10" has different behaviour compared to every other number you throw in, assuming you're using 2.1. Don't know if it's exclusive to the windows version (some exploits are OS exclusive), but for me it shows the SS tileset while when running the level show the secondary tileset (never the ternary though, i.e. tower tileset)

In windows, you can actually access the secondary tileset from the primary (SS) one by using specific numbers as tiles (hint: try tile 2300 and you'll see what I mean, and also these tiles are all transparent). However, I don't know if this works outside the windows version, or if it can be used to access tower tileset (it should be able to, if you bruteforce enough).

I need that tower tileset  :verdigris:

avengah

FIQ: Are you saying you can't replicate Teleporter Divot? I thought you did it just fine in Welcome Aboard and Parabolica. What's wrong with using Direct Mode to add those background tiles? They might not be identical but it's better than nothing (which is how it is at the moment).

FIQ

Quote from: avengah on December 06, 2012, 03:10:16 PM
FIQ: Are you saying you can't replicate Teleporter Divot? I thought you did it just fine in Welcome Aboard and Parabolica. What's wrong with using Direct Mode to add those background tiles? They might not be identical but it's better than nothing (which is how it is at the moment).
I didn't mean just the background (I really should have made a background, thanks for pointing it out by the way...), but the fact that the room is simply not a replica and can't be with current information about internals (or because it's impossible). I don't like that! :P

ToasterApocalypse

Bit of a bump. When using the polar dimension backgrounds (tilecol=6 usually) I managed to get 3 different enemy colours.

Cyan enemies (tilecol=6, tileset=2)
Green enemies (tilecol=6, tileset=3)
Red enemies(tilecol=13+,tileset=3)

Does this mean that if we bruteforce enough, we'll find a way to use grey enemies?

Oh and with tilecol=13+, dissap. platforms and moving platforms are invisible, conveyors are blue and show no direction.

FIQ

Possible. You can actually get gray enemies by internal scripting but only in the polar dimension. Probably is related to that, while custom levels lack the necessary data (internal enemy color in this case), polar dimension do not.

This one shows that you can spawn gray enemies, though only in the polar dimension (internally):
finalmode(46,54)
createentity(50,50,1,0,0)
Note the color -- instead of pink (as it always seems to be otherwise), it's gray.

There's a problem though - the main game probably use the internal color list to decide which color to give enemies -- something you can't replicate in custom levels (I think?)

The fact that gravitron squares are gray are irrelevant as they are a special case.