Editing levels manually with the .vvvvvv file

Started by ToasterApocalypse, October 30, 2012, 07:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToasterApocalypse

Yes, I hate doing this.
But, for the quality of polar dimensions everywhere, IT MUST BE DONE.

So yes, I'm messing with the .vvvvvv folder of my level, Dimension Switchback (which is incomplete, the game crashes when you start the final script for some reason) and I want to change 14,3 as a test.

Is there any way I can find out it's that room from the file? I hate counting.  :violet:

EDIT: I wasn't sure which subforum this went in, so I stuck it here.
OTHER EDIT: Nevermind! After closer inspection, it gives a roomname. I'll still leave this unlocked for lols.

Dav999

You can't do that if there's no room name, of course. (Or you will have to find another way to identify the room, and I don't know of another way to do that.)

ToasterApocalypse

Quote from: Dav999 on October 30, 2012, 07:28:31 PM
You can't do that if there's no room name, of course. (Or you will have to find another way to identify the room, and I don't know of another way to do that.)

Right. Well, as most polar dimension rooms have a name, I'm working on renovating them.
Also, tilecol...

Is there a way to make a final level replica (spazzy animated blocks) with it? Like tilecol=6 with lab tileset to make the rainbow room?

Dav999

Quote from: ToasterApocalypse on October 30, 2012, 07:34:13 PM

Right. Well, as most polar dimension rooms have a name, I'm working on renovating them.
Also, tilecol...

Is there a way to make a final level replica (spazzy animated blocks) with it? Like tilecol=6 with lab tileset to make the rainbow room?

No, I don't think that's possible. :victoria: But you can do it while in a cutscene by continuously warping to another, similar room to create the moving effect.

ToasterApocalypse

Quote from: Dav999 on October 30, 2012, 07:38:05 PM

Also, tilecol...

No, I don't think that's possible. :victoria: But you can do it while in a cutscene by continuously warping to another, similar room to create the moving effect.

...What about the disco lights?

Dav999

Quote from: ToasterApocalypse on October 30, 2012, 07:49:26 PM

Also, tilecol...

Disco lights? ???

ToasterApocalypse

Quote from: Dav999 on October 30, 2012, 08:05:34 PM

Also, tilecol...

Disco lights? ???

Stay in 1 room in the final level. You see it changes colour.

Kinda like disco lights.

allison

Quote from: ToasterApocalypse on October 30, 2012, 08:07:05 PM
Quote from: Dav999 on October 30, 2012, 08:05:34 PM

Also, tilecol...

Disco lights? ???

Stay in 1 room in the final level. You see it changes colour.

Kinda like disco lights.

Create a bunch of differently colored copies of the same room, use the "internal command without cutscene bars" trick to teleport the player between rooms.

In other words, exactly what Dav999 said.

Dav999

The problem is: you can't make it happen forever, and you can't control :viridian: in the meantime.

allison

Quote from: Dav999 on October 31, 2012, 08:22:05 AM
The problem is: you can't make it happen forever, and you can't control :viridian: in the meantime.

Says who? Says you. Not me. Here we go.

avengah

Slight problem - the level doesn't end. It goes dark after saving the crew, but is still running.

allison

Quote from: avengah on November 10, 2012, 08:09:04 AM
Slight problem - the level doesn't end. It goes dark after saving the crew, but is still running.

DANG! I thought I had it all figured out...  :victoria:

FIQ

Quote from: crazyal02 on October 31, 2012, 11:19:31 PM

Whoa, the level was way more responsive than I thought it would be :o

That actually makes custom levels with this functionality viable... I'll play around with it. :3

allison

Quote from: FIQ on November 10, 2012, 02:54:49 PM

There is indeed a very good reason why I put a seizure warning in the description.

FIQ

Quote from: crazyal02 on November 10, 2012, 02:56:15 PM
Quote from: FIQ on November 10, 2012, 02:54:49 PM

There is indeed a very good reason why I put a seizure warning in the description.
I meant the fact that there was simply no lag moving Viridian at all.