WE NEED ACTIVE MODS.

Started by JPlus, November 07, 2012, 10:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPlus

The only ones I've seem online is Souleye and Terry (if he counts). I know the spamming days are over but someone could easily come in and start spamming and it could take a week before anything happens. We need mods, just in case.

N

Dav999

Why did you create a new topic for this? This topic isn't too old.

I don't know if it's possible, but if it would really take a week, then it would be a good idea to automatically delete a post if five different users used the report to moderator button. That would work, I guess, unless the forum gets slow.

JPlus

Meh, it's still a problem that needs to be fixed and that topic is a bit unactive right now.

Dav999

I've seen different spambots lately, which are trying to post a new topic in General Discussion (judging from Who's Online), but eventually nothing is posted. Is this because of an improved captcha feature, or something similar?

blue626

Maybe they're "weak" spambots that can't solve CAPTCHA and try to solve it many times. Some of them just stay looking at their profile. I noticed that those who are online now have the flower icon (I still don't know what that means...).

Dav999

Quote from: blue626 on November 20, 2012, 07:03:22 PM
Maybe they're "weak" spambots that can't solve CAPTCHA and try to solve it many times. Some of them just stay looking at their profile. I noticed that those who are online now have the flower icon (I still don't know what that means...).

I think that's an ICQ number.

Why do some of the spambots have messed up personal texts and locations, like "Óêðàèíà" or "êíèãè íà òåëåôîí ñêà÷àòü" ??? ??? ???

ToasterApocalypse

Quote from: Dav999 on November 20, 2012, 08:33:21 PM
Quote from: blue626 on November 20, 2012, 07:03:22 PM

I think that's an ICQ number.

Why do some of the spambots have messed up personal texts and locations, like "Óêðàèíà" or "êíèãè íà òåëåôîí ñêà÷àòü" ??? ??? ???

aeiou

FIQ

Because of failed charset.

Also, while more mods wouldn't hurt I guess, I don't think it's needed. Souleye lurks here a lot more than I actually expected, and Terry is... well, Terry.

ToasterApocalypse

Oh yeah guys, there's a bunch of users online nowadays.
A few of them are like us,

the others have names like jhsdhjwhs

see

Dav999

There are suspiciously many of those users online!

Damn It AL to Hell

Quote from: ToasterApocalypse on November 21, 2012, 02:56:17 PM
Oh yeah guys, there's a bunch of users online nowadays.
A few of them are like us,

the others have names like jhsdhjwhs

see

Yeah, I see a person registering for an account almost half the time I come on.

ToasterApocalypse

I'm sorry to tell you this, but...

IT'S SPAMBOT SEASON. GET THE GUNS

Dav999

There are still a lot of spambots :(. Go to Members > Search For Members. Only put a checkmark next to 'Search by website'. (Remove the checkmarks from 'Search by name' and 'Search by email address') Then search for ".ru", and you'll get two pages full of spambots. Also look at the date: all of the spambots which have '.ru' in their website (all of the spambots on those two pages), have been registered between 16 november and today! A lot of them have their location set to Russia (shows up as 'Ðîññèÿ' with the wrong encoding). Also, one of them was from the USSR (:D)

Currently, I'm adding every spambot I find to my ignore list, so I can see which users are spambots. At least there's an option to hide all posts of people on your ignore list. That means you can at least hide posts from spambots until they're deleted by Terry or SoulEye (or another mod).

blue626

I checked the member list and sorted by posts. Went to the last page and checked each page before it. Here's what I found:

There are 1398 members. There are 30 members per page and 47 pages.
Almost all of the members (spambots) allow members to email them, most of them have a website, most of those who have a website have ICQ and MSN, some have AIM and YIM (always both at the same time!).
I noticed that when members have the same post count (0 in this case), it seems to be sorted by registration date. It's like that most of the times, but there are exceptions. ??? I noticed that the memebrs joined one day since 16 Nov. make various pages. Same thing when sorted by registration date. This is easily noticeable by looking at the table at the end of the stats page (which I saw later), at the # of members registered in each day. Normally it was <10. On 15 Nov. it was 26. On 16 Nov., as well as every day after that (besides today) it's >100. That's what happened at Dec. 2010 and from Dec. 2011 to June 2012, when the forum was inactive! :o
I noticed that at page 23, the date reaches 15 Nov. and there aren't many members with the same date anymore. There also aren't may members that allow members to email them. In that page there are various members with username ending in 1012 and one ending in 577. All of them haven't been online since minutes (sometimes seconds!) after registration.
Only in page 21 there are members with 1 post and there are only 2 in that page. That means that there are 20x30+2=602 members that have posted at least once out of 1392 members. 13092-602=790 spambots. Put them all in my ignore list? What do you think? :D

Maybe Terry should erase all the members with 0 posts again. Is forcing lurkers to register again a problem?

[edit]≈15 min. after I started posting this there are 1401 members! 9 more spambots in 15 minutes?![/edit]