1 (3.1%)
butt
5 (15.6%)
sauce
21 (65.6%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Voting closes: July 23, 2037, 11:30:05 PM

avengah

I second the praise. The level is great.

Seriously, a checkpoint there, of all places? That's one of the easiest parts!

Flushex

Quote from: avengah on November 22, 2012, 03:21:22 AM
I second the praise. The level is great.

Seriously, a checkpoint there, of all places? That's one of the easiest parts!

Haha, maybe it is. I just remember dying a disproportionate amount of times in that room compared to the rest of the rooms in the Polar Dimension for some reason, but that could be because I played it when I just woke up. Who knows.

avengah

Yeah, that room is hard, but once you reach the circled point, you should not die. Those enemies are smooth and easy to pass.

Just move forwards at a steady pace. The enemies aren't a threat at all, and there's a checkpoint in the next room. There's an inversion plane which bounces you to the checkpoint - and if you miss, you land on safe ground and can try again. See the bit just above the hole? No spikes or enemies can reach that bit. There's really no challenge in that particular part, at least compared to earlier parts in the very same room.

I played the Jaunt. I thought the second trinket was unbelievably pixel-perfect hard (it took several hundred tries... maybe a checkpoint half way through the challenge would have been good, but I'm pleased to say I did it as it is... eventually...), and as for the third? Glitch abuse is not recommended. Yeah, I know warp lines cancel out warp backgrounds, but it's a glitch and the editor's supposed to not let you use both... unfortunately, the functionality's broken and it sometimes stops you using any kind of warp when you've got none in the room! Still, it was obvious with the map.

Flushex

True, the second half of the room is considerably easier. The relatively harder first half with the enemies moving on the floor and ceiling and with spikes on the floor and ceiling though wasn't as fun to repeat if you made a stupid error on the second half (which I did a couple times). Moral of the story, don't make stupid errors.

I'm sure if I played through the whole map again, I would remember all the other rooms that were harder, so you're right. I officially redact my statement about the second checkpoint.

I'm glad you played the Jaunt. I've thought about changing the second trinket many times, I probably will. That's the kind of feedback I wanted in the thread, as I definitely would have listened to the community here (Either I'll use the checkpoint as you recommended, or replace the warp line in Spelunking with a gravity line to make it significantly shorter). As for the third, I guess I wasn't even aware it was a glitch, but now that you mention it, it makes sense. Perhaps if I made it a regular room instead of a warp room, and then put a warp line on the bottom, it would have the same effect? Thinking about it now that sounds like it would work. Aside from trinkets, did you enjoy the map?

You might like my second level better as it is more polished, and the trinkets are much, much easier. As of a few hours ago I just did a huge update using Direct Mode, so play the new version if you do (and give feedback!)

/Hijacking Toaster's thread to talk about my levels.

ToasterApocalypse

Quote from: Flushex on November 21, 2012, 11:06:36 PM
Quote from: ToasterApocalypse on November 21, 2012, 10:16:59 PM

Thanks for all the positive stuff, means a lot from the guy who made the (in)famous Jaunt. And, about it being unfinished...

Chapter 3 is pretty darn big (almost Chapter 1 big) so look forward to that.

Lol, I was under the assumption only two or three people even played the Jaunt. After seeing how awesome some of the levels offered on these forums were, that definitely didn't surprise me.

And that's good to hear about chapter 3 being long. Not to rush you or anything but do you have an ETA for it?

Nope! I release Ch.3 when it's done. I'm working on the boss fight now.

ToasterApocalypse

Chapter three released! With new chapter, new bugs are gonna happen! Get out there and find them! Oh and have fun!  :viridian:

Flushex

YES!

I can't wait to play it and give you long and boring feedback.

ToasterApocalypse

Quote from: Flushex on November 24, 2012, 10:59:44 PM
YES!

I can't wait to play it and give you long and boring feedback.

Yay!

And for later, you will notice Vitellary mentions a Glitch City. It's gonna be based on the glitch in this thread.

FIQ

If you go into the warp tokens at the entrance right of Warp Zone too fast, you end up in the bottom-left or the top-left room in the map. This allows you to finish the level within 5 minutes of gameplay.

ToasterApocalypse

Quote from: FIQ on November 25, 2012, 12:25:51 AM
If you go into the warp tokens at the entrance right of Warp Zone too fast, you end up in the bottom-left or the top-left room in the map. This allows you to finish the level within 5 minutes of gameplay.

I honestly do not know what's causing that, so I don't know how to fix that.

avengah

Two things. Firstly, DIY III Repair isn't fixed. If you press R (or die to the spikes in the next room), you are placed at the terminal. I think you set the checkpoint early, before the room warp.

Secondly, it's possible to get on top of Vertigo's cage if you inch left, forcing an R. This means having to play through the previous several rooms again without music.

This is really good so far; I like it a lot. There are other issues caused by pressing R during cutscenes, but I don't think you should worry about them - they don't break the game. For instance, pressing it repeatedly when you first save Vermilion causes you to reappear at the Crossroads, but you aren't stuck  when you go left, you save Vermilion again, fixing the problem.

If you re-enter the Abandoned Facility, it plays out (almost) exactly as before, with Vermilion, even though he's supposed to be otherwise incapacitated at this point.

EDIT: There are two differences: the warp gate at the bottom is already open, and you already have Vertigo's ID card. But that doesn't stop you picking it up again. I guess you used two different flags - one to say you've got it, and one to say you've picked it up from that spot. Personally I'd just use one flag for that, but whatever. In any case, something needs to be done about re-entering the AF; I'm not sure of a suitable solution at this time. I'm sure you'll think of something. Maybe something happens before you reach the Vertigo fight that sends you back outside?

The second S C room has the C in the wrong place, one square left. And the entrance to Abandoned Facility is missing a block in the top left, no doubt caused by deleting a script. Other than that, it's very good, and I like the use of the Yes Men!

Amusement time: At the start of the Vertigo fight, or whenever he's on screen, die or press R and he becomes sad, as if he's a friend, but there's nothing you can do about that.

Finally, in the part where you play as Vermilion, I think there should be a fail-safe so that if you do press R, there's a script at (a) the start point of the section that turns you red again, and another one at (b) the start of the next room. These are the only two places where it matters, since you'll go back to (a) normally, but if you're still in that room, then (b) will fix the problem for you.

Final great amusement - press R when Vertigo catches you saving Viridian, and since Vermilion is no longer on the screen, it'll be Viridian that becomes flashing colours - permanently! (At least until the next death.)

EDIT: Sorry, a major glitch has presented itself. After doing three Gravitrons, I was moving very fast from left to right across the screen automatically. Luckily I'd hit a checkpoint. I had to save, quit VVVVVV and reload to continue. I tried playing a different level and it randomly flicked between screens at a rapid pace. I've seen this glitch before in Dimension Piplup after several Gravitrons, but I don't know the cause - I avoided it last time by doing the easiest one last. It could just be luck, though, that the glitch didn't occur that time.

Pyrite

What do I do after getting through the unnamed space station? Everywhere else is blocked! I have 5 trinkets.

avengah

You obviously know where to go first. Secondly, head right, up and left to reach the Starship Enterprise. After that, you will be told where to go - each area has a terminal telling you what's there, except for Chapter 2, but you'll find that easily enough when you get to it. On the way, you'll pass through two red rooms, one with two vertical inversion planes. Then you'll reach a yellow room with warp lines at the sides and a warp token to get back. Head up from there and you'll find what you're looking for, if you're where I think you are.

ToasterApocalypse

Quote from: avengah on November 25, 2012, 05:51:33 PM
Two things. Firstly, DIY III Repair isn't fixed. If you press R (or die to the spikes in the next room), you are placed at the terminal. I think you set the checkpoint early, before the room warp.

Secondly, it's possible to get on top of Vertigo's cage if you inch left, forcing an R. This means having to play through the previous several rooms again without music.

This is really good so far; I like it a lot. There are other issues caused by pressing R during cutscenes, but I don't think you should worry about them - they don't break the game. For instance, pressing it repeatedly when you first save Vermilion causes you to reappear at the Crossroads, but you aren't stuck  when you go left, you save Vermilion again, fixing the problem.

If you re-enter the Abandoned Facility, it plays out (almost) exactly as before, with Vermilion, even though he's supposed to be otherwise incapacitated at this point.

EDIT: There are two differences: the warp gate at the bottom is already open, and you already have Vertigo's ID card. But that doesn't stop you picking it up again. I guess you used two different flags - one to say you've got it, and one to say you've picked it up from that spot. Personally I'd just use one flag for that, but whatever. In any case, something needs to be done about re-entering the AF; I'm not sure of a suitable solution at this time. I'm sure you'll think of something. Maybe something happens before you reach the Vertigo fight that sends you back outside?

The second S C room has the C in the wrong place, one square left. And the entrance to Abandoned Facility is missing a block in the top left, no doubt caused by deleting a script. Other than that, it's very good, and I like the use of the Yes Men!

Amusement time: At the start of the Vertigo fight, or whenever he's on screen, die or press R and he becomes sad, as if he's a friend, but there's nothing you can do about that.

Finally, in the part where you play as Vermilion, I think there should be a fail-safe so that if you do press R, there's a script at (a) the start point of the section that turns you red again, and another one at (b) the start of the next room. These are the only two places where it matters, since you'll go back to (a) normally, but if you're still in that room, then (b) will fix the problem for you.

Final great amusement - press R when Vertigo catches you saving Viridian, and since Vermilion is no longer on the screen, it'll be Viridian that becomes flashing colours - permanently! (At least until the next death.)

EDIT: Sorry, a major glitch has presented itself. After doing three Gravitrons, I was moving very fast from left to right across the screen automatically. Luckily I'd hit a checkpoint. I had to save, quit VVVVVV and reload to continue. I tried playing a different level and it randomly flicked between screens at a rapid pace. I've seen this glitch before in Dimension Piplup after several Gravitrons, but I don't know the cause - I avoided it last time by doing the easiest one last. It could just be luck, though, that the glitch didn't occur that time.

AW CRAP THAT'S A LOT OF THINGS I NEED TO FIX

ERR

HAVE SOME MUSIC

SomniRespiratory Flux

I've completed Chapter Three, and the good news is I didn't see any major bugs.
Are Gravitrons becoming the new Veni Vidi Vici tunnels in level design, in that everybody puts them in for difficulty and milks the inevitable frustration for all it's worth in the level dialogue and/or room naming? I don't mind them really. I'm just terrible at them. :viridian:
Interesting re-purposing of the Yes Men. Were all of the names supposed to be puns when combined with the word "yes"? I only got one of them if that's the case (Yucan).
I didn't mention it before, but I enjoy the clever approach to the boss battles in this level. For a game where all you can do is move and flip, there aren't a whole lot of options, but this just seems to work. Although it can make the map look weird, with each "hit" being a different room. The map isn't too necessary here though. Yet, at least.
The level looks to be getting even better, and I can't wait to see where it goes with Chapter Four.