My 2nd Level: Survivor Type.

Started by Flushex, November 15, 2012, 01:24:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flushex

My Second level is relatively short/medium in length.
I would say average difficulty (relative to other player levels).

You have to rescue :violet:, :victoria:, :vermillion:, :vitellary:, and :verdigris:

There are 10 's

Please play it, point out any bugs I missed, and give me some feedback. Thanks!

Here are some screenshots:

Version 1.0  (Downloaded 7 times)

Version 1.1  (Complete visual overhaul using direct mode)

Hilbert

This looks cool, will try later today.

Flushex

Great! Let me know what you think.

avengah

I like it. I've just played both versions back-to-back and the improvements are great! I notice you made Upvote harder, too. Overall, I think it's a great level. Finally, you should change the description slightly (add a v2 or something) so we know which version we're playing. The second versioin appears below the first version in my menu.

I think this is how it works: in v2.0, they appear in alphabetical order of filenames. In v2.1, they appear in alphabetical order of titles, and if titles match (e.g. I've got several "untitled level"s, it goes in order of filename.

Flushex

Wow! I wasn't even aware you had both versions! (I assume you were one of the 7 initial downloads?) Honestly, I'd rather completely wipe the first version, as the second one is the same level but cleaned up. So, go ahead and delete 1.0. I'll add version 2 in the thread title anyway though. The reason I hadn't bothered doing that was I assumed that most people would have either one version or the other. I wasn't expecting anyone to have both.

I thought Downvote Upvote was disproportionately easy compared to everything else in the map, so yes I did. I take it as a good sign you were able to play through the level twice without getting annoyed by it?

Advice on tweaks? There had to be some things you noticed needed tuning up.

Trinkets fair?

Any room too hard?

Any room too easy/ boring/ out of place?

Do you have a favorite room? Least favorite?

avengah

Sorry for late reply, yeah it's fine overall, I can't think of anything that badly needs changing except for one thing. Why are people going to bother using the warp back from the Just A Lousy Trinket and navigate the spikes all the way back, when death does the job? Put a checkpoint somewhere near the actual trinket (maybe by the teleporter back) so people have an incentive not to die, maybe.

Flushex

Thanks for the reply!

I originally didn't have that warp token there, and the only way back was death. I've read on this forum that some people consider forced death to be bad level design. The warp token is there so a person could do a theoretical no-death-playthrough if they were inclined to do so. I fully expect most reasonable people to just suicide at that point though.

That being said, I will go ahead and put in a checkpoint like you recommended (I've pretty much taken all of your advice on both of my levels at this point).

I won't upload it though unless more bugs or needed tweaks are pointed out to me, since right now it's just that one little thing.